Collecting Back Child Support

Category Child Support
Collecting back child support from the noncustodial parent can many times be a challenge. This is a guide about collecting back child support.

My ex-husband had his bank account frozen for back child support. How long will it take for me to see any of that money?

Answers

Best Answer

Freezing the account only means he can't take money out of it. It may not help you any at all. The main factor here is how much money was in his account. If he owes you $20000 in back support, but only has $236 in the account, it doesn't do you much good. You will need to talk to the court.

How I do I go about receiving owed child support payments from my father at the age of 23 even though my mom is dead and now he wants her death certificate to obtain his license back after suspension?

By Shay

Answers

Best Answer

Do not give him the needed death certificate. Contact Legal Aid services in your community to get good advice. It's usually free. The deadbeat may be able to get the death certificate without getting it from you so beat him to the punch and file for the money that is due you first.

Best Answer

Call the Attorney Generals office in your state and ask. I doubt you can get back child support but they should be able to tell you. Or, ask the question in your search engine but be sure to include what state you need info for.

My mother was owed tens of thousands of dollars in child support. This was between 25 to 35 years ago. Back then in Philadelphia there was no enforcement. My father was murdered about 10 years ago and would have been about 75 today. Can my mother collect anything from Social Security or any back pay? They were married 20 years.

By Rich

Answers

Best Answer

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your questions. You can find some information via their website but should have all of your questions answered by visiting their local office.

I raised my grandson from 3 months to 11 years. At the 11th year Steven moved in with his mother.

Years later I located the father of my grandson. We all did the kumbaya thing, etc., I told him that I wanted him to help Steven and put him through a trade school. 6 years later and after many heated arguments Steven is going to a trade school, but his father has stuck him with half the bill.

Long story short, can I collect child support from the father for the years of his life that I totally supported him? He has a good business and his wife is well placed in medical science.

I have a question and hope you guys can help. I'm 28 and I found my dad. I would like to know can I still charge him for unpaid child support?

Answers

You can certainly try to collect past due child support, however, any state agency will probably not be interested in filing collection efforts as you are now an adult and the case is very old. They already have far too many current cases to litigate now. However, you can retain an attorney to file a legal claim of unpaid benefits. Of course, this is an expensive matter as the attorney will require a fee (retainer) up front before researching and filing a case on your behalf. Considering your eventual legal costs of a suit against your father, you must be sure that he has the money and other financial resources to win any suit against him. If he does not have money, etc., to claim, any legal action will only be worth the paper it is printed on. Good Luck.

Addendum:
If you know now that your father does have significant financial resources to pay unpaid child support, you can ask your attorney to first suggest a meeting with both parties to discuss a settlement now to avoid much more legal expense on both sides in the future. If you father refuses a settlement attempt, you can then pursue formal litigation.

And then there's the issue of whether you want a relationship with your dad. Going after him for money sounds to me like a great way to keep him out of your life.

Were you trying to find your dad or did this just "happen"?
If you were looking for your dad then I think the question would be - why? because you wanted to be able to see him sometime or was the reason just for money?

You do not tell very much so it is difficult to even offer intelligent suggestions.
How long has your dad been "missing" and why has he not been around? It seems we can assume your parents were divorced many years ago but why is it not your mother who is seeking back support or whoever your guardian was during your younger years? This is assuming there was a legal amount of support mentioned in the divorce. I am not sure the money would be paid to someone that did not provide the support as that is what it was set up for.

The person who suggested getting everyone together seems like a really good suggestion.
You will need a lot of legal papers before approaching an attorney. Copies of your parent's divorce papers, something showing how much money your dad paid (of course the burden of proof will fall to him), copy of your birth certificate, and there may be more information needed but I feel sure your legal guardian during your younger years will also need to be present (if available).

I am not experienced with this type of legal action so all of this is just "talk" but common sense should prevail and it is difficult for me to see someone being able to collect money for something that was paid by someone else.
If I am mistaken in my "thinking" please correct my post as I am always willing to learn.

My daughter's father has not yet paid back the child support he was order to pay 13 years ago; his family has been hiding. My daughter will be 18 next month and she receives SSI. I was told from someone that he receives SS. What should I do?

My daughter's father has started receiving SSDI and now my daughter is receiving 50% of what he receives. He was paying child support and he is current, now they are taking the child support away because she is receiving SSDI benefits. My question is, since he is current with his child support does she still receive the back pay?

I'm currently 30. My parents divorced in 1991 or 1992 in Illinois where I currently reside. My father was ordered to pay child support and never did. He has since passed away back in 2007. He was married at the time of his passing while living out of state. Having said all this, does a chance exist of me still trying to collect back child support? Is collecting through Social Security even a legit option?

Thanks :)

Answers

Technically your father still owes child support, however, collecting any through SSA will be difficult as you are now an adult and SSA is already trying to collect on many current children's cases. You can contact SSA and make an appointment at a local SSA office to discuss your concerns.

Who are you trying to collect from? Your dad's widow?
The point of child support is to support the child. It is unfortunate that your dad didn't pay that when you were little and could have really used it. But you are an adult now, and child support is not for adults. Besides the fact that your dad is no longer alive. I don't see Social Services garnishing the wages of a dead person.

I'd suggest you drop this. You apparently have some issues involving your dad, but it's time you drop this.

My son is 19. We just found out his dad has been getting disability. Can my son get back pay from his dad?

Answers

You do not clarify what type of payments the father is receiving however, if he receiving SSA Disability benefits, you can contact the SSA in your area for an appointment to discuss provision of unpaid child support. Bring originals and copies of all documents regarding birth, child support orders, etc., for the appointment.

If the father receives other disability payments, you can contact the provider for information on obtaining payments for your son.

I think the age limit is 18 unless a full time student or the 19 year old is disabled himself. Go to socialsecurity.gov.

I am not really sure what you mean by "back pay"..
If you have a court ordered support agreement and his dad has not paid as agreed, then you may be able to seek a court order to receive some of this money. You will have to present all types of legal papers showing you provided support and his dad did not.

My daughter's father met her once, and hasn't seen her since. He gives fake addresses, switches phone numbers, and refuses to communicate. So when he stopped paying child support, it was like pulling teeth to find out why. Come to find out, he's been in the hospital for a month. I'm still not sure as to why, his condition, or for how long he's expected to be in there, because no one can give that information due to HIPPA. My question is this: If he's seriously incapacitated, such as being in a coma, what on earth do I do about the support of my daughter? Thank you for any words of wisdom you can provide, as we live under poverty guidelines and the support we receive greatly helps put food in her mouth.

Answers

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do in your present situation. If your state, county or local area has programs to collect and pay child support, you can try those possibilities. Depending upon whatever arrangements were made regarding the payments, you can try discussing your problem with an attorney or Legal Aid, although Legal Aid can take forever to help you. If the father has any property or other assets, you can pursue litigation with an attorney to try to collect. This, of course, requires money to pay the attorney to search for possible assets and file actions to get payment.

I apologize for painting a rather depressing picture but from your information, it appears the father is careful with his information and, even if you paid an attorney to find possible assets, collecting on them is another expensive battle.

The only upside here is, if the father dies, you can try to collect survivor's benefits from Social Security. However, the father must have worked and paid into Social Security long enough for any benefit to be paid.

Good Luck!

Addendum:
If the father is permanently unable to work because of medical problems, and has paid enough into the Social Security system, your child can collect benefits through Social Security.

First - you do not make it clear whether you were married and now divorced?

If that is the case, then child support agreement should have been through the court and they should help you obtain payment.
I know this does not always work out but they should be able to help you find out condition of the father's health.

If you were not married and just had an agreement with the father, then all bets are off until you are able to prove he is the child's father.

You may be able to go to the Social Security office (with all legal information - SS numbers for all three involved, any marriage, birth and divorce documents) and explain why you want to file. They may tell you what type of information you need from his doctors.

Of course, any benefits now, or in the future, will depend on whether he worked and paid sufficient SS taxes to qualify for benefits.

I'm 28 and have 2 brothers 27 and 29. We all have the same father. My mother raised us in Illinois. My dad owes 82000 in back support, but Indiana couldn't find him. That was where the order was so they transferred it to Illinois, but now Illinois said he doesn't owe it, but Indiana said he does. My dad is doing good and my mother is still trying to get out of debt from raising us. Could anyone help me out? Illinois also said your kids are grow up what do you want us to do. I have a kid and my son gets his money every week so if I stop paying for it when he hits 18 mine will be forgotten.

Answers

Unfortunately, old unpaid child support cases, although still legally valid, are of little interest to the state agencies who have the responsibility to collect. Frankly, all child support state agencies are simply overwhelmed with the many current cases that need attention.

Assuming that you are not interested in a relationship with your father, you can consider legal action against him for the unpaid child support, however, this involves retaining as attorney and paying an upfront fee (often several thousand dollars) to even file an initial court action. If you know your father has good financial resources, you can request your attorney arrange a meeting of all parties to try to obtain a settlement to avoid further legal fees and costs.

If a father was never ordered to pay child support, is he still responsible to pay back child support, even if the child is a grown up now? We were never married and I never took him to court for anything. My son is 42 now, but I heard that his father should be held responsible for some kind of monetary support to the mother.

Answers

At this late date, it will be very difficult to find a state or local agency willing to help you collect any past child support, especially with no legal order. The best, albeit, much more expensive route, is to consult with an attorney in your area who is experienced in child support issues regarding exactly what you can do and how much it will cost you in legal fees, costs, etc. An initial consultation is often free. Once you have this information, you can then decide if filing an action to demand payment is worth your investment of attorney and other legal costs and emotional difficulties for all concerned-especially your son etc.

You can consider legal aid in your area, however, if they even consider taking the case, you will wait a very long time for any possible results as they have many current cases to litigate.

Good Luck!!!

My ex owes me thousands of dollars in child support from 40 years ago. Can someone tell me if there is a statute of limitations on collecting it if I live in California, but the decree was made in Nevada?

Answers

Both California and Nevada have no limitation of collecting unpaid child support. However, Nevada limits collecting child support if there is no enforceable order of support. If there is no actual legal order, Nevada has a limit of only 4 years prior for collection. You should consult with an attorney in California on how to collect in Nevada and California. The handy site below has this information:

http://www.chil  limitations.html

If the father of the child is listed as owing back support and the mother terminates her rights to the child, and the father then gains custody, would that cancel out the back support owed?

By Jennifer L

Answers

Talk to your local Child Support Office. They are the ones that would be able to help you.