Receiving Back Child Support

My ex-husband told me they took out 5,000.00 for back child support from his lump sum payment along with continuing to take out $136.00 a month until back support is paid. My question is when in the world will I receive it? It's been almost 2 months now and I called my support office and they know nothing.


I am on SSI now, but that shouldn't keep me from receiving what's owed or does it? Nobody can tell me anything or if it takes awhile. I have never received a TANF check, but I did get help with food stamps and a medical card for my child back when he wasn't paying. She's in her twenties now and I would think they would give me back support. I just need to know how long they hold it before contacting the Department of Jobs and Family Services.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

February 28, 20180 found this helpful
Best Answer

You should go to your local Social Security office as soon as possible because once that back payment check is cashed it will be very difficult to obtain any of those funds.


I am not sure if your husband is telling you the truth but if you have not had any communication from the Social Security office then you most likely are not in line for that check.

You do not need anything from your husband so do not wait until time has passed and you miss out on what should be yours.
Do you know who filed papers with the SS office for you to be able to receive a payment of any kind?
Do you have any paperwork from the SS office saying you will receive anything?
All of this is what you would have received if benefits were going to be paid to you.
Go to your SS office ASAP. Please do not wait to get any kind of papers from anyone - you are the one that can get this information from the SSA.
You do not need proof of anything except your SS number as well as your husbands (if you have it) and your child's SS number.

I would really be surprised if they have anything on record about your case but then sometimes government agencies are slow but you need to know and they are the only people who can tell you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 27, 20180 found this helpful

This is one of those special cases where only the Social Security office can answer your question.


  • Who applied for your back support payments to SS?
  • What type of SS benefits is your ex receiving - SSDI / SSI / Retirement?
  • I am surprised your support did not send you to the SS office for help with this.
  • How do you even know if it's true?
  • Have you received any communication from the SS administration?
  • It appears payment may be paid through your support office but I do not believe that will be the case with any payments from SS.
  • You should not wait any longer but go ASAP to your SS office with all SS numbers and any other papers you have.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 27, 20180 found this helpful

I would call the Social Security office for an appointment.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 27, 20180 found this helpful

None of us would know the answer because it's a case by case situation. You will need to contact your support office and ask if there is someone that can help further or who can you contact for that information.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 27, 20180 found this helpful

You should ask him for proof of this withdraw from his check before you make an appointment. Not sure if he will give this to you or not. But if he under court order to pay you back for all the missed payments this one could be possible they did this to him.


You'll need to find out as much information as possible and then go and make an appointment to find out what is happening.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 28, 20180 found this helpful

You need to contact SSI and have all your information ready. Here is the number: 1-800-772-1213. Someone will probably be assigned to take care of you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 1, 20180 found this helpful

What I understand is your on SSI, but you have a case through the child support office for back child support, correct?

You may or may not get this money. Depending on any benefits you received. You need to know who garnished the money from him and then you need to contact them and ask questions, as to where the money is and what is being done with it as well as will you be receiving any of it. But if you received any benefits from any government agency do to him not paying child support they will most likely pay that agency the amount equal to the benefits you received from that money.


Including food stamps and medical expenses. They will also take out any fees associated with the agencies involved in handling the money. You need to know who garnished the money first then call them asap to ask questions.

*This also happened to me, but by the time they paid back the $249.00 in benefits that I had received, including medical / medicaid for the children and all the legal fees and agency fees I received nothing from a garnishment that was several thousands of dollars.

Good Luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportFebruary 27, 2018
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/12/03 07:30:24 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!