Collecting Back Child Support

My ex-husband had his bank account frozen for back child support. How long will it take for me to see any of that money?

Best Answer

Freezing the account only means he can't take money out of it. It may not help you any at all. The main factor here is how much money was in his account. If he owes you $20000 in back support, but only has $236 in the account, it doesn't do you much good. You will need to talk to the court.

You don't say what state you are in, but: In some states, you can receive back child support from the state. The state then pursues getting the debt repaid. This allows you to continue to provide for your child without worrying about whether or not you will receive the back child support. Check with your states laws to find out if this solution might apply to you.

Im in Arizona. :)

The child support office of Arizona is fighting for me. They saw they already took his money but when will I see any of it.

You cannot handle this yourself. You need to go through proper legal channels, such as your own lawyer, the local district attorney, or your State Attorney's office.

Federal and state laws will side with you. I'm not sure how long you will have to wait, so do this as soon as possible.

1. Are you the person he owes the back child support to?
2. Does your divorce decree have him paying through a government agency?
3. Is this agency the one who had his bank account frozen?
4. Or are you using an attorney and your attorney had the account frozen?

I believe that "whoever" had the bank account frozen is the one you should be asking this question as this action cannot be done without cause to do so.

Pay a visit to your attorney or government agency and ask them your question. They will either give you an answer or will provide you with an answer when it is available.

the best answer would be to call the child support court in his city ....I would think it wont be to long

He owes me 34,000 and once he sold his house and money from the sell of the house went into his accoubt they froze it. They said they already took it now just have to fallow the laws with giving it to me. Just dont know how long that will be.

Hopefully you have found an answer to your question and I hope the waiting time will be short. If there is not sufficient funds to cover all that is owed then please continue to pursue this matter and do not wait until a large amount of money is owed before taking action.

If he is working then someone should be able to help you obtain your weekly/monthly support as well as some payment on the arrears.

Look for happy days for you and your children - be strong - when necessary.