Collecting Back Child Support?

I'm 26 and in college. My dad moved out of state after my mom passed and my sister took custody of us. My dad recently called and asked if we were receiving child support because they are garnishing his check. Is there a way I can relieve it or see how can I receive it?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 17, 20200 found this helpful

It depends on how his support was set up. You would need to go to that source or get a Attorney for answers. You need to find out the legal way to get this resolved!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 17, 20200 found this helpful

This is just a small part of information needed to answer your question that I can only suggest ways to maybe get more answers so you can find out where and who the money is going to.

You are too old to draw current support and someone would have filed through the court showing your Dad owed back support and who was entitled to receive it.


I believe you should discuss this with your sister as it appears (if she had custody and supported you (and someone else?) she would be the person who could rightly claim back support.
Also, the money would rightfully and legally be for the person who supported you during your early childhood (before age 19).
You can discuss this with an attorney but I think you'll find it is going to your sister - and probably should.
She may not wish to tell you about it because she may feel you would think it should be going to you and this could cause problems.

You do not say what type of check your Dad has garnished but if it is SS you can also go to the Social Security office and present your SS number (with photo ID) and tell them you want to know if someone is receiving back support payments with this SS number.


They may not give you specifics but they may tell yes or no.

I do not believe your Dad is telling you the whole story as he would have received correspondence telling him who was claiming money, offered him a chance to disprove it, date it was approved and probably gave him a certain length of time to pay the money owed (or make legal arrangements to pay) before his check was garnished.

You're probably going to be involved in a family 'discussion' that may not have pleasant endings.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 20, 20200 found this helpful

You will need to go to court or get a lawyer to find out who or where the payment are being sent. They could be sent to the wrong address or your sister is getting all the payments now because she took care of you.


From my understanding child support has to be paid no matter how many years has past.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportApril 17, 2020
Summer Ideas!
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 22:53:14 in 861 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.