Make Up TipsBeauty

Complimentary Makeover

A nice thrifty tip if you are not makeup savvy like myself, or need a makeover for a special occasion, event, date night, or just because. Some beauty shops offer some sort of complimentary makeover with your purchase. Since you are already getting something at the store, you can give yourself a glam!

I recently used Sephora's 45 minute complimentary makeover for my engagement party. I already needed to buy some beauty cream, so it was a win/win situation. I booked my appointment two weeks in advance and had a nice mini facial and make up done by a professional make up artist. Turned out wonderful, and had I paid someone, it'd be much more money!

For instance:

• MAC offers complimentary makeovers for customers who purchase $50 or more.

• Sephora offers 15 minute mini complimentary makeovers without purchase for quick foundation try on, smokey eye look, or something quick.

• Sephora offers 45 minute complimentary makeovers for customers who purchase $50 or more. For special occasions, you should make an appointment online.

• Macy's has ongoing promotions.

Note: Stores may vary where you live.

Great tip! I have done this too and have known many women to take advantage of this for weddings or prom. Macy's and Nordstrom are both very good about doing makeovers, especially during one of the brand's "bonus" time. It's nice to get an expert's opinion on colors and brands, and fun to watch the techniques.

Also, don't forget if you buy cosmetics that don't suit you when you try them at home, be sure to return them. Even a supermarket or regular drug store should allow you to return these items.

I have always been discouraged and shy since its complimentary, but boy did I have a nice relaxing time and getting glam.

Yes, it is important to save our receipts just encase the make up products do not work out for us!

Sephora is really good with returns as well!

Don't forget the lovely ladies with Mary Kay Cosmetics who not only teach us how to apply make-up but also to care for our skin. They come to us, at our homes, at our convenience!

I'm so glad that you mentioned that you actually purchase something. I have read some frugal people go for the makeover just to get tips and never had any intention to buy anything. These salespeople make most of their money on commission, and it's not fair to waste their time if you know you aren't going to buy.

On the other hand, sometimes they can be very pushy. If I am just going to buy a lipstick, they will still try to sell me an entire skincare line. I have told them that I only buy products for my face at the dermatologist's office. This is not true, but it has worked for the last 40+ years:)