Compost Bucket Ideas

You can buy or use a recycled container to compost kitchen scraps and other compostable household waste. This is a guide about compost bucket ideas.

June 8, 2010 Flag

I always wanted to compost so a kitchen composter was easiest to start with but expensive. I noticed our kitty litter container (hard plastic) was a purrrfect size and has a lid and handle. It fits under the sink and has been working great.

By krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use the litter buckets to grow my tomatoes. I drilled holes in the bottom, covered the inside bottom with coffee filters to keep the soil in, and planted patio tomatoes in them. Easy to carry around to follow the sun, bigger pot= bigger tomato crop. I also use the buckets for compost and also for when I buy topsoil from the local nursery. They know how many shovels full is a bushel, and they fill the buckets for me to that amount. Easier for me to carry the soil to where I want it.

January 11, 2011 Flag

I have started a compost pile. Since it is far from the house, I have an ice cream bucket that I use for my daily scraps. To keep it from getting so messy when I empty it, I line it with newspapers or paper ads from the mail. The paper absorbs the liquids and everything comes out of the bucket when it is emptied.

By dizzee from Woodstock, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This seems like such a good idea. I'm going to try it immediately. Nothing is messier than kitchen compost that won't come out of the pail! Thanks for the tip.

March 4, 2008 Flag

Composting is always great. It recycles plant wastes and makes great soil. We have a composting unit in the back yard under a tree. When I worked in the kitchen, it was hard to save things for composting and I was always debating if it was worth the time to take the little I had out or if I should just throw it out. This was especially true at night or if I was not feeling well.

Now I have a stainless steel container with a lid right by my sink (it is about 1 gallon size). Since it is not see-through and closes securely it is neither an eye-sour or a smell problem. I put the banana peel in after breakfast. The ends of carrots, onion and potato peelings, salad wastes, etc. from lunch and supper. I also put in tea bags (minus the staple and string. Coffee grinds are great too. When this can is full, I empty it into the composter. We also layer the leaves and grass clippings into this composter. Having the steel canister in the kitchen saves me time and I end up with great soil for my garden.

By Harriet from Lakewood, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also you can get one of those small plastic drawers that you buy at walmart and put it in your refrigerator. That way you don't have to empty as often cause there is no odor or deterioration.

Anne in North Carolina

March 11, 2010 Flag

I save my veggie scraps, coffee grounds, filters, tea bags, etc. in a plastic kitty litter bucket under the kitchen sink. If you add shredded paper or substitute sugar packets in there too, it kills the odor.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingSeptember 18, 2012
Using Compost In The Garden
Using Compost In The Garden
Making a Compost Bin
Making a Compost Bin
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:14:24 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.