Compost Bucket Ideas

You can buy or use a recycled container to compost kitchen scraps and other compostable household waste. This is a guide about compost bucket ideas.

June 8, 2010 Flag

I always wanted to compost so a kitchen composter was easiest to start with but expensive. I noticed our kitty litter container (hard plastic) was a purrrfect size and has a lid and handle. It fits under the sink and has been working great.

By krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

I use these buckets to store rain water in. I have them sitting around all area's and they are really handy instead of dragging the garden hose around. I have several big buckets around the house and just fill the other ones up.

Excellent idea. One will fit perfectly in the cabinet under the sink. Yay!

Good use for those buckets. So is the idea from 10CatGirl and her rainwater buckets.

Thank you both for sharing.

Pookarina

These are both great ideas. I've saved a couple trying to figure out how to use! Now, I need a good compost recipe. I just started a garden in outside planters.

I use the litter buckets to grow my tomatoes. I drilled holes in the bottom, covered the inside bottom with coffee filters to keep the soil in, and planted patio tomatoes in them. Easy to carry around to follow the sun, bigger pot= bigger tomato crop. I also use the buckets for compost and also for when I buy topsoil from the local nursery. They know how many shovels full is a bushel, and they fill the buckets for me to that amount. Easier for me to carry the soil to where I want it.

I also just started composting and I use a large plastic coffee can which also fits under the cupboard where I keep my trash can. Only thing is, it's just me, so I don't have that much to throw out. I even quit drinking coffee, so no grounds to use either.

January 11, 2011 Flag

I have started a compost pile. Since it is far from the house, I have an ice cream bucket that I use for my daily scraps. To keep it from getting so messy when I empty it, I line it with newspapers or paper ads from the mail.

countertop compost bucket

March 4, 2008 Flag

Composting is always great. It recycles plant wastes and makes great soil. We have a composting unit in the back yard under a tree. When I worked in the kitchen, it was hard to save things for composting...

March 11, 2010 Flag

I save my veggie scraps, coffee grounds, filters, tea bags, etc. in a plastic kitty litter bucket under the kitchen sink. If you add shredded paper or substitute sugar packets in there too, it kills the odor.

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingSeptember 18, 2012
Using Compost In The Garden
Using Compost In The Garden
Making a Compost Bin
Making a Compost Bin
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
🎉
🎄