Condensation Buildup on a Ceiling

Condensation buildup on a ceiling can cause not only discoloration but potential damage. This is a guide about condensation buildup on a ceiling.

I have stains all over this year, on my ceiling; I have a mobile home. The weather this year has been cold, to warm, and back to really cold. The way my house is, that one side gets the direct sunlight. The other side does not get it on the back end and that is where our ceiling is having a problem this year.

I first thought it was a leak in the roof, but this is all along the edges of my ceiling from my living room, to kitchen, and then my bedroom. My bedroom I know has a lot of moisture issues with even the walls and windows. I know they needed to taken out and recaulked; that hopefully will help that issue. This is the first year we have not had a heater in our bedroom. I think that played a part in it too. We have only one exhaust fan in house above stove so what can we do?

By popcorn from Middletown, DE

Because the problem is along one side of your home, at the edge, my guess is that the ceiling stains might be caused by the guttering. Mobile homes usually have very narrow guttering. Cleaning out the gutters and downspouts might take care of that problem.

Moisture in the walls can lead to mold and other problems. Every few years the old caulk should be scraped away from around windows and doors and replaced with new caulking.