Controlling Indoor Allergens

Keeping your indoor air free of dust and dander is important for your family's health. Regularly changing your furnace filter and air cleaners can help keep the air cleaner. This guide is about controlling indoor allergens.

My son is 7 and has suffered from asthma and lung problems since birth. When we have been to the hospital before we came home, the doctors gave me a cleaning tip to control dust and mold allergens, (anything that could cause a flare up). Use plain white distilled vinegar and water, you can use this through the house and it gives you a clean smell.

By Rhonda from Spring Hope, NC

I use vinegar and water in room where dogs sleep pour in bowl sit it in the room and leave it, all the bad smell will be gone. I mop my floors with vinegar and water. I clean mirrors, windows, & sinks and it comes out streak free. I also use a littlel vinegar for upset tummy.

For allergy sufferers, I find that air cleaners really help me. I have one in the bedroom and one in the living room. Better than piling on the meds!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Editor's Note: There are numerous air cleaners on the market. Which air cleaners do you recommend? Post them below.

Buy the air cleaner with the highest room cleaning/hour rating you can afford.

The ionizer actually makes asthma worse, so you don't need a model with this feature.

I have a nice Kenmore Hepa Supreme Air that does a lovely job of cleaning the air. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. I only run them when I am in the room for any length of time. Seems to help a lot. Was told to do so by an asthma doc. Been using them for years.

I have recently moved back from PA to NY. In PA my house had electric heat and it was very easy to manage any dust. My son is a severe asthmatic with severe allergies to everything, including dust. We looked for an apartment with only wood floors since it is easy to clean.

I have encountered the worst duct issue ever. We have air purifiers in every room. Maintain the proper humidity. Keep windows closed in the summer for pollen. We do everything by the book. My apartment is a toxic dust haven. I clean, every other day. First, I swift, then I swift by hand, then I mop and then I swift again. The dust piles as if someone is emptying a vacuum cleaner bag throughout my apartment.

I am stumped. I have to do this every other day, realistically I should do this every day, but there is simply not enough time.
I do not know what to do. I tore off the base board heating, cleaned that out for the winter months and still, I wipe the floor with my hands and it resembles an abandoned haunted house.

Any tips on products (non-toxic) or tricks would greatly be appreciated.

Nikki

Dust is also caused from skin particles

Ask the doc about using Singular. I have found it to be VERY helpful in controlling allergies and asthma.

You may want to look into having your ducts cleaned out if you have forced air heat. Dust and dirt settle in the ducts and then blows out whenever the heat or AC comes on

Household dust is composed primarily of things like human skin and hair, waxes, pollen, mold, fungi, lichen, tiny particles of wood, paint, fibers from fabrics such as wool, nylon, rayon, acrylic, foam rubber, sheet rock, plant and vegetable matter, insect parts, industrial emissions, heavy hydrocarbon waste from your oil or gas heater, even tiny bits of metal debris from door hinges or any place where metal and friction meet, lots of food waste, and loads of paper fiber...

There is a reason why dust seems to reappear just days after it gets cleaned up and it's not because you're doing a poor job cleaning. Especially in the winter, when the humidity is low, there's a lot of static charge. It's really strong. When you wipe the dust off, it'll come back and deposit on it. 3M and Scotch Brite has developed a statically-charged wipe cloth to more efficiently pull the dust off the surfaces, and Swiffer has made billions of dollars selling its statically-charged wipe cloths.