Drying Out a Sweating Salt Lamp

Category Miscellaneous
Salt lamps are sold for their air purifying qualities, as they draw moisture, allergens, and impurities from the air. They do sweat, however, and need attention. This is a guide about drying out a sweating salt lamp.

My son bought a salt lamp recently and we were surprised that it was soaking wet. After doing some research online I discovered that salt lamps will sweat if they have been in a humid environment. It is not uncommon to open the bag and find a sweaty lamp.

• cookie sheet
  • screw driver
  • oven

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees F, or as low as your oven will go.
  2. Remove any wooden or plastic base from the piece of salt.
  3. Place the salt onto a cookie sheet and put it in the oven. Set a timer and check it every 10 minutes, rotating it, until it is dry to the touch. Turn off the oven and allow the salt to cool completely.
  4. Reassemble the lamp and enjoy its soothing ambiance!

Tip: I recommend placing your lamp on a small plate in case it begins sweating again. If it does, consider moving it to a less humid location. It can also help to keep the light on as often as possible, to keep it dry.

I never heard of a salt lamp. What powers this thing?

It's a big chunk of pink Himalayan salt, with a lightbulb in the middle. I suppose they may have battery operated LED ones now but all the ones I have seen have plugged into the wall.

They produce a lovely glow through the crystal. I see them in gift shops all the time. There is some information about salt lamps in this Wikipedia article.

https://en.wiki  i/Himalayan_salt

It has a lightbulb base that is attached to the bottom of the piece of salt. The piece of salt is hollowed out and the lightbulb goes up inside to make it glow. They are neat!

Who says you can't learn something new? Salt lamps...who knew!! :-))