Remedies for Excessive Sweating

Category Home Remedies
If you are plagued by excessive sweating, you are probably always on the lookout for a remedy. This is a guide about remedies for excessive sweating.

I have been using Certain-Dri 72 hours roll on for a couple of weeks, but I see little result. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I take showers every night and than apply it after an hour, like the directions say. I could use some help. I am starting school in September. Last year was horrible always having to use a jacket to cover it up, but still have the wetness under it.

By Emma

Answers

Best Answer

Have your doctor give you a prescription for Drysol. This was originally used for sweating feet. However, it works under your arms too. I had a terrible sweating problem for years, but the Drysol did the trick. Apply right after a shower. I think you will only have to use it once or twice a week, but check the directions. I always recommend Drysol. It was a lifesaver for me. I found out about Drysol from a Dear Abby column when a reader had asked Abby for advice to stop sweating.

Best Answer

I've found that not all of the "clinical strength" antiperspirants work the same. I've found Secret to be the best with Degree an acceptable alternative. The directions on all of them say to apply before going to bed. I usually take a shower before bed, then immediately apply the antiperspirant. I don't get dressed right away, I let it dry a bit first. If I know it's going to be a particularly hot day, the next morning I will apply again.

Towards the end of each shower I gradually start to turn the water to cold to bring my body temperature down a bit. It's nearly cold by the time I step out. I dry off right away and then use Shower to Shower body powder on those spots where I tend to sweat a lot. Baby powder doesn't work nearly as well as the Shower to Shower.

If you have trouble with sweating under your bra, you might find placing a triangularly folded washcloth placed between the bra band and your skin keeps away a lot of the excess moisture.

Every chance I get throughout the day I use a very cold, wet facecloth and press it against my face and neck to bring my body temperature down.

Sorry this got so long, I hope it helps!

Best Answer

I have heard that Botox injections can help with over-active sweat glands. Go see your doc. Good luck, I can see how this would make you feel so bad.

My niece has a problem with perspiration under her arms. She is only 16 years old. She has used every kind of antiperspirant imaginable but she still sweats badly and hates this problem. She doesn't have a bad odor under her arms, just the sweating that embarrasses her. What can she do to prevent this? I sure hope someone can solve this as she is very popular and smart and has a lot of friends and this really annoys her. I love my Niece and would like to help her.

God Bless,
Angelheart from Clyde, TX

Answers

She can use an antiperspirant called "Certain Dri." I suffered with problem underarm perspiration for years and it's the only thing that ever worked for me. It's available at most chain drug stores.

Take her to a naturopathic doctor and have a food allergy test done. She may have an allergic reaction to a food or foods that cause this problem.

Although it sounds strange, try this. Cut a lemon in half and wipe under each arm, it dries very quickly. This eliminates both odour and excessive perspiration. I have had a cancer surgery and lost some lymph nodes under my left arm (armpit), and the Professor in charge of my care asked me to tell every woman I know NOT TO USE ALUMINIUM BASED DEODORANT. Because this ingredient/compound prevents accurate mammogram readings, and also clogs your bodies natural ability to rid itself of sweat and the toxins it needs to be rid of. One of my work collegues who is from Thailand told me of the 'lemon trick', its very cheap, its healthy and natural and it works wonderfully. Just slice a thin piece off the end of the lemon and store in the refridgerator in a plastic baggie. This also works well for smelly feet. Very best of luck.

I have a real problem with sweating and it is really embarrasing. I take dance lessons and within the first 2 minutes my clothes are wet and sweat is running down my face, it seems like anything I do causes this. Has anyone else had this problem and what can be done about it?

Thanks so much,
Helen

Answers

Hi, Helen,
I'm in the same boat! It IS embarrassing. I'm always happy when summer is over and the cool temps come back, but shopping or indoor activites are just as bad in the winter as summer. I don't own a single sweater, I'm too warm to wear them. I think I'd feel cooler if I lost weight, but then, when I think back, I was just as sweaty in high school and I was skinny then!

I'll be checking in to see if someone has some suggestions. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, thanks, Helen.

Hi Wendee, Thanks for the comeback, I too am a bit overweight , but had the problem when I was a "twigee"and much younger, I am 65 and just starting to get involved with some of our communitee activities. This isn't helping me to feel at ease especially with new people, although it isn't a nervous thing , the sweating does make me feel uneasy. Let's hope someone will be able to help us both and anyone else who has the same problem, Nice to know too that I am not alone.. Thanks

Well, I have company. I used to go to the gym, until one day the lady behind the counter thought I had been in the pool and told me I should always dry off before walking around in the lobby. I sweat buckets. In the house, working in the yard, you name it. Will check back here to see if someone has a suggestion.

What you need is a deodorant stone. If you search with google you will find one. They work !!!!

This could be a hyperhydrosis problem. Many times it involves the hands and feet where water pours off. Very embarassing! Thinking about it seems to make it worse. It's something you are born with!

I agree with Syd about the possibility of Hyper Hydrosis (I have a cousin that had it). Here is a site with some good information on the subject: http://www.theb … neral/hyper.html I was surprised to read about the use of "botox" for this problem. It's certainly something to talk with your doctors about. God bless all of you that deal with this problem :)

try certain dri at your local drugstore, im a teen and i sweat while im just sitting in class and iif it doesnt work get your doc to write a prescription for dry-sol its 5 bucks a bottle adn you can put it all over yourt body..and it works, saved my life! :)

Hi Helen, me too. Mine is from hot flashes. I can't take any estrogen type replacements, not even over the counter due to estrogen positive breast cancer. I feel dirty all the time. I change during the night and all. It's just awful. I hope you find some help. I wish I could.

I tried a lot of things and spent a lot of money. For me the cure was so simple. Just balance the body's pH. Go to www.gohtn.com/marinaskinner. Try a free 30 day supply and let me know. Good Luck!

Marina Skinner
www.triad.rr.com

It's called hyper hydrosis. Excessive sweating. I suffered from it for 15 years (15 to 30 yrs old) and i'm 5'8 and 115 lbs. It has nothing to do with body weight or exertion. I resorted to wearing only black up top or skimpy tank tops in the summer since i would sweat thru any article of clothing about 5 min out of the shower. I tried every type of deodorant to no avail. Don't waste your money or time. Ask the pharmasist for Drisol. Its over the counter and availble in roll on or stick. You clean the area thoroughly, dry thoroughly, then apply. I am allergic so it burned like a son of a .... for the first while. But I didn't care. I followed the directions (only continuied to use a mind deodorant daily for regular odor even tho the bottle says not to). I now use it about once a month. I have never shopped so much in my life. I cannot believe the choices out there! I immediately went out and bought a closet full of colorful tops and threw out all my black clothes!

Ok, same issues but for me, I can be cold, still sweat. And, it was so bad for me, i could not wear shirts that were tight in my armpit area. cause, especialy if it was a lighter color, within a few hours, id have large wet marks.

so, i have discovered something, im doing searches now to share cause i knwo how much this sucks..

so, not sure if this will help everyone but....

I had been sick and normally sweat puddles. I had been eating alot of ice this time cause i i was so dehydrated. Noticed the 2nd day, i was sweating very little. Didnt think much of it... Long story short, next time i got sick, same thing.

So, i was like, ok, im going to try eating ice at nice (just a cup full) and then see what i feel like. So now, i eat ice everynight. Just a cup, thats all. I rarely sweat. Today I am in a shirt that is tight on my armpits, i have not had a single spot all day. Ive been doign this for about 3 months now. Its so great. Its the only difference ive done. Its not even like drugs or anything. Just ice...

I did test it, i went 2 days with out ice, next day, i was sweating on my drive to work with my car still so cold i could see my breath....

So, hope this helps you guys out there...

I am SO happy that I am not alone with this problem. Like Wendee, I'll be checking this site every day. When I am shopping.....by the time I reach the check out....I am soaking wet. My hair is completely wet....like I just got out of the shower and hadn't towel dried it yet and my face is bright red. A couple of times the clerks did not want me to leave the store. Once, a manager called for an E-Unit thinking I was having a heart attack. It is really embarassing.

I am a veteran sweater - and have adopted certain strategies. For example, wearing natural fibers as much as possible, as synthetics make me hotter. I also wear layers as much as possible, as it allows me to adjust to the temperature. When it is hot, sometimes, on the other hand, synthetics can be good because they don't wilt. I sometimes carry around a battery operated pocket fan, to cool myself off, and also spray myself with cologne on my wrists, at my neck, etc. (the alcohol is cooling.) I also have decorative handfans for warm weather.
I blot my face with ever-present Kleenex, and use replaceable cotton squares as powder puffs, because they absorb moisture & are easily replaced. I like my hair long enough to put up, so I can keep it off my neck, too. I also don't have hair around my face - (like bangs) because it would get wet. If I fluff my hair out with my fingers, it will dry fairly quickly, especially as I try to get a good hair cut, in long layers. I also used to wear bandannas and scarves on my head sometimes - but that doesn't go so well now as I get older - even though it has come back in style.

Hello Everybody,

Do a search on "Hyperhidrosis" (commonly mispelled "Hyperhydrosis"). There's a lot of info. about this out there.

T Babe

My hands get bright red almost all the time. It started when I was 13, I'm now 38. It's very embarrassing, especially in front of an audience. My mother has raynauds, but her hands don't get red, they turn white. I haven't told my doctor yet, I don't know how he hasn't noticed. I feel very healthy and my blood pressure is normal, but as I approach middle aged, I am concerned. I would welcome any feedback from people with my same symptoms.

Pat

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I will suddenly break out with a fine sweat on my hairline, cheeks, and neck, for no rhyme or reason. It happens in the middle of the night, or as soon as I get up, or even while writing this email.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 46 and now I'm 62, so it's not menopause. I exercise, avoid sugar, take my supplements, and still. I tried selenium sulphide shampoo for some time and it worked, but now its back. Why? Please help!

By susheila

I am not sure where to put this question, but I have head and facial sweating so bad that I look like I take a shower every time I move around and sometimes when I am just sitting here. I am so embarrassed and the older I get the worse it gets.

I can't do my make up or my hair and I don't want to go to the gym because after a while from my head getting so hot and the rest of my body sweating, I look like a drowning pig. Yes, I am over weight, but I have had the problem even when I was skinny. I have been to the doctor, the neurologist, the dermatologist, and the cosmetologist and guess what, nothing has been done.

I read on here something about putting Sea Breeze on your scalp and alum mixed with water, but I am unsure how much to use and how often. If anyone has any suggestions please email me through this site. Thank you.

By Angie from Caledonia, MI

I am 35 old age and I suffer from excessive face sweating when I walk, communicate with a new person, even when I do simple work, when I think a little bit. I think it is genetic from my parents (hormone case). So, how can I stop this excessive facial sweating?

By laloabiti

Regarding head sweating, it seems that we all have one thing in common, there appears to be no cure! I am just like so many I don't want to go any where, it is just horrible to be standing in line and the sweating starts and doesn't stop for at least an hour. I have been looking and looking and have found nothing close to a cure. Oh well I will keep on searching. Good luck to all.

By Lisa

Answers:

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

Vinegar helps under the arm, maybe it will help your head, good luck. (06/05/2010)

By kffrmw88

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

That is a nerve gland in your body. Ask a doc about that. (06/05/2010)

By yellow-hawk

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

You definitely want to see a doctor; there are prescriptions to help control excessive sweating. Good luck! (06/06/2010)

By WildIrish

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

I wonder if it's hot flashes. I'm way past menopause and sometimes go from hot to cold and cold to hot in no time. My mother had the same problem at 82. (06/07/2010)

By TXBetty

How can I stop excessive sweating? I use antiperspirants, but that doesn't help, also I can't use it all on my face or all over my body. What can I do? Since I live in the deep south, this is a real problem for me.

P Sanders from Deep South MS

Answers:

Excessive Sweating

I too live in the south (SC so I know your pain. If you are a middle aged female, it's probably hormonal. If not, it could be glandular or metabolic. It can be a reaction to meds. You probably need to see a doctor for a work up. They can prescribe prescription strength antiperspirants and/or use botox to essentially freeze or stop the perspiration from certain glands. You have to be careful about over heating though, because it's the perspiration that cools your body temperature off when it's hot. So if you stop the perspiration, you could get heat stroke. (06/14/2007)

By Deb in SC

Excessive Sweating

Use Certain Dri, it is available at most stores like Walgreens and Target. Apply it at night before going to sleep and go about your normal routine the next day. It really worked for me, I hardly use it now. (06/14/2007)

By Kimberlee

Excessive Sweating

Have your doctor give you a prescription for Drysol. This was originally used for sweating feet. However, it works under your arms, too. I had a terrible sweating problem for years, but the Drysol did the trick. Apply right after a shower. I think you will only have to use it once or twice a week, but check the directions. I always recommend Drysol. It was a lifesaver for me. I found out about Drysol from a Dear Abby column when a reader had asked Abby for advice to stop sweating. (06/15/2007)

By Sally

Excessive Sweating

Also a quick tip is find cold or cool water and place both your wrists in it, this seems to cool me down and I have been a "hottie" since childhood. (06/15/2007)

By meoowmom

Excessive Sweating

If you are overweight it could be the "fat insulation".
I am thirty pounds heavier than I used to be, I sweat a whole lot more than I used to. (06/17/2007)

By Lily May

Excessive Sweating

You should check out the following website for excessive sweating problems:

bye-bye-excessive-armpit-sweat.com

It has all types of resources, treatments, and even cures for excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis. (10/23/2007)

By Mechdawrek

Excessive Sweating

There are quite a number of alternatives to antiperspirants that can help with excessive sweating. There are some oral medications available to help stop the sweating. Talk to your doctor about the problem and he may prescribe anticholinergic or antidepressant drugs to help you control the sweating.

There's also a current buzz about injecting Botox to stop excessive sweating. However, as you sweat also on your face and body, Botox may not seem feasible.

Participating in some form of mediation or self hypnosis may be able to help reduce the sweating if you experience excessive sweating when you are feeling anxious, depressed, or nervous. Try avoiding smoking, caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods which can cause sweating.

You may also want to find out more information at:

stopsweatinghelp.com (07/16/2009)

By newsbuzz

Hey everyone,
My name is Cely and have a problem with over excessive sweating. Also my hands get really red and swollen. I know that the excessive sweating is called Hyperhidrosis. But I need help with the red hands. I don't know what the heck it is and I'll really appreciate it if anybody can help me. Also sometimes my hands and feet sweat. It's like a cold sweat and sometimes hurts.
Thanks a lot,
Cely

Answers:

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Hi, Cely. It sounds like Raynaud's Syndrome (I have it). My doctor said what happens is the blood vessels in your extremities, especially the hands, dilate, and the blood rushes to them, causing redness. He didn't mention swelling, but I have that, too. My fingers get a bit white to blue when they get cold, and they really hurt then. This, too, is a symptom of Raynaud's. My doctor told me the only thing I could do was make sure my hands didn't get cold so they wouldn't redden and throb when they warmed up again. You may want to speak with your doctor about this, and see what he suggests, especially since this may not be the problem.

Terry from ChilliOH (05/16/2005)

By terdralynn

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Cely,
See a doctor. I know doctor visits are not always covered by insurance, so try calling the doctor and ask the nurse. I once had a rash on my
chest and upper arms, and was scared to even ask. It turned out to be an allergic reaction to laundry soap I was using. So take care and ask a nurse or doctor. (05/16/2005)

By meoowmom

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Yep, it does sound like Raynaud's. I have it too. You won't die from it, that's the good news. Stay warm and never go without mittens or gloves in cold months. As for sweaty feet, try dehydral ointment, available online. My feet sweat even when they are ice cold, which is most of the time due to Raynaud's. Dehydral is the only thing that works for me. (05/16/2005)

By Mary

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

It is important that you seek medical advice because no one without the proper information can advice you properly and might even hurt you. It sounds to me like your thyroid is not working properly. Only a medical doctor can properly diagnose this. Try some ice on your forehead and in your hands when they sweat and swell. This might give you temporary relief. But please seek medical advice> (05/18/2005)

By walker

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Well I as well have this problem and am skeptical that it is raynauds. Seeing as how the only relief I get is when I am in the cold. My hands turn blood red and burn and my feet as well. They sweat too of course, and they are super hot to the touch, this can go on all day. I find if I lay down I'm fine, or put my hands above my head, the color turns normal. I have never seen my hands or feet turn purple or blue as described with raynauds. If you figure out what it is let me know please. I have had this for two years and no one can really help me with it either. (07/29/2005)

By aisha

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have similar symptoms to the hands turning red occasionally. I also turn red in the face, neck or shoulders sometimes. I was tested for Raynaud's and definitely do not have it. However, I did get tested for a dysautonomia and have Dermatographism (caused by too much histamine). I find that benadryl liquid in even the smallest dose does help greatly to control the redness.

You should probably get tested for both conditions. Also, Hyperhidrosis is a nervous system disorder, so that does point in that direction for you. Other conditions to get tested for include mast cell disease and carcinoid. The kind of doctor you should visit is a neurologist and allergist. (12/08/2005)

By Miss Muffet

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Hi, I'm 14 years old and I too have red hands, they sweat but not excessively. My skin color is tan but my hands turn red and purple and are always very very cold. Whenever I touch someone they always tell me that I am freezing, but my temperature is fine and everything. When they see my hands they think I'm sick and that I look weird with red hands and a tan body. I really want to know what it is and how I can cure it. My cold red hands are affecting me and everyone around me. Please give me advice. My email is msasoccermsa AT hotmail DOT com (remove spaces). Thank you (12/31/2005)

By mina

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

By Miss Muffet

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

By mina

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

My hands get red when I drink caffeine or alcohol, work out, or when I get hot. They feel like I am scratching a chalk board. Does anyone know what this is? Thank you in advance. (01/08/2006)

By Red Amy

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

My hands and feet are always red, unless I am lying down or have my hands up in the air (above my head). I'm thin and naturally always feel cold. I live in San Diego and that is too cool for me. Not only do my hands get red, but they get blotchy as well, and it feels like all the blood in my entire body is in them. I'm 14 and it's really embarrassing. As I said, I live in San Diego, and am always wearing long sleeve shirts that cover my hands. (03/15/2006)

By Sydney

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Actually, my hands only turn red when I have them down and go back to normal when I have them up in the air, above my head (they also sweat). But when they are down, they get REALLY red and it feels like all the blood in my body is rushing to that area. I have no idea what it is and need some help, thanks.
(06/25/2006)

By John

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

My daughter, age 21, also has this condition and when her hands are cold her feet sweat and hands get swollen and very uncomfortable. What kind of doctor would specialize in this? She did go to a foot doctor but he had no cure. Help! (07/17/2006)

By Danell

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I also have this problem. My hands are very red. They used to be the same color as the rest of my skin but now are very red. The knuckles are even more red. A co-worker asked me "Why are your knuckles red?" and I didn't know what to say. This symptom makes me very self-conscious. I would love to know what is causing this. (09/19/2006)

By Annie

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I suffer from red knuckles and fingers when my hands are down, but my skin returns to normal when my hands are elevated. When the skin is pressed when red it returns to its normal color then slowly back to red. I have been to a dermatologist and he was unable to explain the condition as were several other doctors he consulted. The condition is embarrassing and I get comments periodically. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Perhaps caffeine or exposure to household cleaning products is to blame? (09/21/2006)

By Darren

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have the same thing, sweaty palms that look blotchy from red spots on the bottom. Not all the time, but I'm guessing it's whatever this raynauds is..? Good luck Cely. (09/27/2006)

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have had red hands and feet for many years and was wondering what it was. I thought perhaps it was hormonal as it came up in my first pregnancy and has slowly worsened over the years. I suffer from the cold, I really hate being cold and in the warmer months my hands do sweat a lot. Can I have some feedback? Cheers (12/04/2006)

By LuLu

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Sometimes red and sweaty hands can be caused by anxiety disorders. If your hands only get red and sweaty when you are feeling nervous you may have some type of anxiety or panic disorder. (12/06/2006)

By bpierce

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Hey, my hands get very red to a purple color. They do not hurt but it is quite embarrassing as they are commented on often. My hands are always cold and also sweat. When above my head, they go back to normal color. I do not know what it is so I would appreciate any comment. (12/20/2006)

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Oh I have the same exact problem. It's bad! I think it might actually be hormonal also. It happens in my feet, too. My hands get really red when they get cold. It sucks because I am a model, and I don't get booked sometimes because of it. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! (02/17/2007)

By Roxanne

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Yeah, same problem. My hands are always red, never blue, or purple, or even white. When I raise them above my head, they go right back to normal. Even my lower arms are red too. I hate it so much. I need some suggestions. They don't get too cold or sweaty, but last week my left arm down to my pinky was tingly. Please help. (03/05/2007)

By Rick

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I see we all have the same symptoms and problems, but no answers. Is this site monitored by a physician or are we all just complaining without hope of help? I sympathize with all of you as I have the same trouble. Hand AND feet (and a lot of the time my face) are red, hot and ugly, what the heck is it? When I am home doing chores, this does not happen. I usually notice it when I am shopping or out with friends. I do not feel nervous, but maybe I am psychologically? Help!

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) This is not a medical site so any doctors that are monitoring (if there are any out there reading) are free to jump in but our best advice is always to ask your doctor. (03/08/2007)

By Robin

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I too have the same problem. People ask me if I've been washing dishes all day. I'm also really sweaty, always have been. I've heard all of the explanations, from bad circulation to reynouds. Try not using caffeine or stimulants it makes it worse. Also, I recently found out I'm gluten intolerant and my condition has improved since I stopped eating gluten. When I do eat gluten it gets really bad. Try cutting out foods one at a time to see if it helps. If you are gluten intolerant or allergic, years of not knowing and consuming gluten can cause some nerve damage which restricts blood flow. Whatever you try, be patient. It can take a while to target an allergy and for your body to reverse damage. Good luck. Looks like it's more common than I thought. We should all start a photo album. (03/17/2007)

By lisa

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

The back of my hands, from the knuckles to the tips of my fingers are constantly red. In the winter and in the summer, they are bright red. My hands are also always cold. In addition, I have read that many of you have sweaty palms. I actually do not have sweaty palms but my armpits sweat uncontrollably. I have no idea if these two things are related to each other. Any ideas? (04/20/2007)

By Brock

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I thought I was the only one. My hands get sweaty and red when indoors or in a place where no air goes in, and when I put them above my head then they go back to normal. I've read about hyperhidrosis and I have most of those symptoms. It doesn't hurt or anything, but I feel embarrassed and am tired of hiding my hands. I just want normal non sweaty hands. Open to feedback. (04/25/2007)

By Esteban

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

My hands, when they get really cold, will turn a disgusting shade of purple. And when they get to hot they turn bright red, but they never hurt so I don't think it's that Raynaud's syndrome. But still the color is very embarrassing and I want to know how to cure it, there has to be some way doesn't there?
(05/27/2007)

By Mitch

A cure

Hello everyone, I am indeed a doctor, and have noticed that it looks like this thread is desperate for attention from one. I DO HAVE A CURE, but it's important you read this entire post.

It would appear that most of you have the condition known as 'hyperhydrosis'. This does not mean you have excessive sweating, in reality, you sweat just as much as a normal person. The problem with hyperhydrosis is that the sweating is all pushed to a certain area of the body.

The skin is a fascinating organism, it is very adaptive. It will sweat wherever your body sweats best. Something has caused your skin to make your hands sweat instead of your arm pits, where most people sweat. It would be safe for me to assume that most of you do not sweat in 'normal' areas nearly as much as other people.

But what about the red hands? I'm getting to that.

Sweating is a means of cooling the body, so when you become hot, your hands start to sweat. All the blood in your body is pushed to your hands, so when your hands become cool from the evaporation of sweat, your blood will cool. This causes your hands to become bloated and red, as most of you described.

Is there an over the counter treatment? Yes.

First I would ask that all of you stop wearing antiperspirant under your arms. I know it sounds weird, but I would be willing to bet that a lot of you would rather sweat in a normal area of the body than put up with the embarrassment of Rudolph hands. Remember how the skin is adaptive? We're going to make it adapt.

Deodorant has caused the pores under your arm to close, and your skin has found a better place to sweat. We're going to reverse this.

There is an over the counter product called "certain dri" This antiperspirant stops sweating very drastically and effectively when used right. You apply it on your hands over night, and when you wake up you will not feel it anymore.

You will, however, feel a weird tingling sensation, and that is the sweat trying to get through closed pores.

After your skin finds that it is no longer able to sweat through your hands, it will go back to another part of the body. It is very important to use DEODORANT, and not antiperspirants on the new areas that are sweating, or you will reverse the treatment. You can use deodorant, as that doesn't stop sweating, it masks the smell. Your hands will stop turning red, cold, and sweaty; and you are on your way to a normal life.

Cheers,
Doctor Jeff.

PS. If you have any questions or comments about this treatment, E-mail me at:
jeffrey_pawlowski AT sbcglobal DOT net (remove spaces). (06/13/2007)

By Jeff

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I'm a 19 yr. old male from Manchester England and I have the same problem with sweaty hands. The temperature of them is constantly fluctuating and they turn a horrible purple when cold and bright red when hot. It is so embarrassing and really effects my life in a negative way. Not sure if there is even a name for this problem. Want to learn more about it if anyone knows? (07/31/2007)

By Shmaniac

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

After learning from this site that my excessive sweating was actually hyperhidrosis- I did some net research and came up with using sage tea, some sites suggest drinking it & some suggest applying it topically. I made a solution with some powdered kitchen sage & have used it successfully to stop sweating on my face & I have sipped it, too. I am experimenting with putting in in a spray bottle to carry around with me in the summer...maybe mixed with some cologne? But it does feel funny & they warn against using it if you have troubles with seizures, so I am using it gingerly. (07/31/2007)

By pamphyila

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

The condition is called Palmar erythema, and may happen for a number of reasons, including liver problems, high estrogen levels and genetics.
If you have the symptoms, but no obvious reasons, get checked for hepatitis, but it is worth noting that many people have this for no reason at all. (09/13/2007)

By aussie_bob

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I had the same problem of sweaty hands. I underwent surgery a few years ago and now my hands are pretty much 90% sweat free -the best decision I have EVER made. Recently there has been another medical breakthrough - they now do the operation for feet as well, I am going to speak to the doctor about that as well. Note, that my hands are still red but not to the degree that it was before, so I am very very satisfied with the results.

Check this site out http://www.sweaty-palms.com/sweaty_palms.html
Understand that you might not live in LA but perhaps the doctor can point you to his counterpart in the region that you are located in. Good Luck!
(10/18/2007)

By steph

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I also have very red hands. I'm 24 and it started about 3 yrs ago. It's very embarrassing. They get especially red when I drink alcohol, get out of the shower, or when I take my adderall for ADHD. Also when I get nervous or excited, really anytime it could happen. Oh and they get really cold too! I was wondering if anyone tried the deodorant thing that doctor said. If anyone has any suggestions or answers please respond back. (11/29/2007)

By NOLA

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I am in the same boat too. My hands from time to time can be cold, and turn purplish, then when they warm up they can turn to a bright red color, especially during the winter months. I get embarrassed, and try to put my hands in my pockets or just walk away from a crowd if I am out. This might not even be a condition. Does anyone have advice? (12/03/2007)

By rm122

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have raynauds and possibly lupus, waiting on tests results. I'm 25. I can't say I can relate to the insecurities of others posting here about what other people think about things, like red hands or sweat (if I remember right sweating is something all humans do though I could be wrong). I'm just curious if with the raynauds is it typical for your hands to burn and throb and have your veins visibly bulge? I live in a cold area so I'm a bit out of luck also when I get these flare ups in my hands. My blood pressure goes from 130/90 up to as high as 168/104, if that makes any sense. (12/26/2007)

By George

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I've been to the doctor many times for my hyperhidrosis, red hands, and really cold hands. None of the medication they gave me worked and I heard the surgery has many dangerous side effects. Is there a solution for my sweaty, cold, and red hands? People that don't have hyperhydrosis, don't know how hard it is and I really want to resolve it. Thank you (01/02/2008)

By Chad.

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I suffer from Raynaud's and I have all the same symptoms. It seems to me that it goes from 1 extreme to another. When I'm cold I'm blue, but when I'm hot I'm red, when I turn red my feet and hands begin to get really sweaty. Raynauds is not my only problem. I get shocks, which I can only describe as electric shocks that shoot up in the center of my spine, but mainly in my feet- usually while stood or walking.

I've visited my local hospital many times and have been diagnosed with primary Raynauds, there is no explanation for the shocks. I'm desperate to know any information about it, or even if there is any relation between raynauds and the shocks, as it causes me great pain. (01/19/2008)

By H

Red Purple Hands

I have the same problem of red purple hands, and I believe it is related to some Rheumatic problems such as Lupus. Somebody, mentioned that above and I have the same problem: Sweaty hands that turn purple in the extreme cold, but I also have some joint pain problems. This is very important as most doctors (over 15) did not know the relation. (02/18/2008)

By wqas

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have the same problem as these people. My hands are really sweaty every day, and also my feet and my under arms. I went to my doctor, she gave me antiperspirant to use, but it didn't help at all. Then I took some medication called Robinull, that didn't help either. Then I went to a private doctor and he told me that I have high blood pressure. He gave me a tablet called propronolol for my high blood pressure, and this powder also, a gel called double base gel. I am using it at the moment but it seems like it doesn't help. I am really in stress. Please help me! (02/25/2008)

By sally

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have red hands and swollen ankles too. The holistic approach suggests attention to a personal dietary plan. Both histamine release and blood vessel imbalance can cause hand redness and symptoms described. Too much pita, as in the ayurvedic concept of heat. Try herbs that reduce pita. See an ayurvedic counselor. (03/02/2008)

By Jzyz

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have the same problem, my hands are always red and my arms are a little red also. When I raise my hands above my head my arms and hands go back to a normal color. The redness seems to get worse at colder temperatures. (03/07/2008)

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have the same problem as all of you do. And I'm only 15, it's so embarrassing. I have been diagnosed with raynauds, and my mom has it too. I have noticed like someone else, that my ADD medication (which is a stimulant) makes my raynauds worse. But without my ADD meds, I can't focus at all. I need help. (03/13/2008)

By jessica r

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have a solution, I am not a doctor, I am a 15 year old kid with hyperhidrosis, and also red and purple arms and hands.

What worked terrific for me was a product named DRIONIC. It sends electric currents through your hands and closes the pores. It is just a tad uncomfortable, but it's way worth it. You use it about 30 minutes a day for about a week and a half. Your sweat will be gone, and since your sweat is gone the air will not chill your fingers so you won't have red or purple hands.

DRIONIC is about $120 and I highly highly recommend it. I know what every one of you is experiencing and it is truly the worst feeling in the world. So if you want it to stop, just search for the DRIONIC product or ask your doctor about it. (03/24/2008)

By jon

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Well I do have the same problem as all of you, the whole red hands thing but really not the sweating. I'm experimenting with these pills called Sea Vegg, they are suppose to be very healthy for you and can get them anywhere. I know I'm just about ready to try anything. I just started today and if I notice anything better I will post it up.

I'm also going to try what the doctor below me has said (to try the things called certain dri). I'll leave feed back, oh and if anyone on here has tried it, has it worked? I would like to buy it but I really can't afford anything right now. Come on, we can get this right = ) Also, we all should start posting pictures of our hands, I was just trying but my camera is making them look regular = (

(05/11/2008)

By james

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I don't know if I have the same thing, but my hands and feet get really sweaty and swollen. They also look very red sometimes. I can get like this all the time but it gets really bad when it's hot. My doctor gave me a prescription to put over them at night but it dried my hands too much and made them hurt because they would still swell. I definitely understand what you guys are going through. (05/13/2008)

By jessica

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

When you people say red hands, do you mean your whole hand or just the palms and fingertips? The picture shows light redness but in fact are much brighter. (05/19/2008)

By Red

RE: Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Better red pic? (05/19/2008)

By Red

RE: Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Been doing a lot of research on this subject as well. Red, those pics look to me like palmar erythema. I have a similar problem, my hands look completely red but from a distance seem to be more like yours, plus my nails are white. I think it's a liver thing in my case. Any history of heavy drinking? (05/21/2008)

By Mike

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Mike, yes, I've been told it's palmar erythema and did drink a lot in my younger days, but quit 12 years ago (I'm now 42). The odd thing is I didn't have this till 8 months ago - Oct '07

All through the cold winter my hands felt cold and numb or had a few hot spells but no white or blue fingers. Now with the warm weather they seem to have little speckles of sweat on them and fingertips have become sensitive with a raw feeling.

I've had almost every test available from Hep series, to Vitamin B, to white blood count, to thyroid and connective tissue disorder, including a neck MRI and carpal tunnel. All negative. One thing I have noticed is when I get stressed or worked up they start to ache and get very, very red.

Been told it just might be "who I am". I've been trying Gold Bond powder on them. Let you know how it works out! (05/23/2008)

By Red

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I have the same problem as all of you have described here. Though my hands are not sweating, they turn purple when they're cold and bright red when they're hot. The condition is worse when I have my hands down, but they turn back to normal when I'm lying down or have up them up above my head. I also have wrinkling on my fingers as if they had been submerged underwater. I was told that I might have a circulation problem but my family doctor and my neurologist are still unclear what the real cause is. Please help! (05/24/2008)

By Guest2008

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

Well Mike, it seems that in my situation I now have 2 doctors telling me it's Raynaud's Phenomenon likely caused by my 9 years of working with high torque ( 80 newton meters) dc nutrunners. Basically I secure the seats of cars in an auto plant. This link is a good read and you will see the note about red palms. Going for an assessment to confirm.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/raynaud.html (05/28/2008)

By Red.

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I've got sweaty and red hands too. The sweating I've had for as long as I can remember on my hands, underarms, feet, and butt if I sit for a long time. For the underarms, CertainDri works wonders, but is painful when you first start using it. I don't use it now and only when I get really hot, do I sweat under my arms. My feet problems were inherited from my dad and cause major blistering to the point of me asking my doc for cortisone shots once every few months or just cut my feet off. Instead, he prescribed fluocinonide and that cleared them up greatly. It's a strong steroid that actually thins out your skin, so he prescribes elocon (mometasone furoate cream) to use as maintenance. I actually started using that on my hands before I go to bed and that seems to help a little.

One thing that I seem to notice is that after smoking, my hands get more red, even if I hold one of my hands away from the smoke. It's like the nicotine is going through my body and causing just my hands to be red. I'm trying to quit for that and other obvious health reasons, but am curious if any other smokers think this might be part of the problem (part meaning I had red hands before I started smoking so I know that's not the entire problem). (05/30/2008)

By Joe

Excessive Sweating - Red Hands

I don't have the sweating, but my knuckles are always red. In fact, over the past few years I have come to realize that there is something seriously wrong with my skin. I am a 24 year old guy but I cannot put my hands in hot water. Fellow workers including women did not flinch a bit when putting there hands in the water to clean the dishes but the same water was just too painful/hot for me.

Furthermore, my skin does not recover well after scratches and cuts. The skin on my upper arms, hands, chest, neck and under the eyes is very thin and weak. I have had bags under my eyes since high school. Blue veins occasionally show on my chest. Increasingly I am finding more burst red blood vessels on my skin, from memory they are called Cherry Angioma's.

Basically my skin is a real problem for me. My only understanding of this is that between grade 9 to 12 I had an eating disorder that was built around the fact that I didn't know what was good for me to eat. I thought and heard that so many foods were bad that I never snacked when perhaps I should have. My years at high school were sleep deprived towards the final 2 years also.

Can this still be affecting my skin today? I don't drink, I've NEVER smoked, (although I did grow up among a passive smoker through my dad, who smoked in the house and car, I always tried not to breathe it in though). I live on my own now, eat a high protein and carb diet, and exercise but no matter how much sleep I get I feel like my skin around my face and hands is still "raw".

I have many moles especially on my back. Every few months I seem to discover new ones growing. A few years ago I tried sun baking for 20 minutes once every few weeks to see if it would make me a bit darker like my sister and brother, but I don't think it was worth it at all. For the few days of slightly darker skin I seem to be popping with more moles and cherry angiomas now.

Last month on my neck I discovered a "mole" of some kind which is much more raised and 'glossy' than other moles and it appears to be leaking! Occasionally I can peel off a dried layer from it. Basically I am kind of creeped out by the way my skin appears to be thinning and aging much sooner than it should. Is it related to the arthritic numb pain that I get in my hand when writing too much during lectures? If there is a treatment for this condition I would be very interested to try it. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

If someone wishes to contact me I am "mr super poker" (no spaces) at the usual hotm**l address. (10/10/2008)