Remedies for Excessive Sweating

Category Home Remedies
If you are plagued by excessive sweating, you are probably always on the lookout for a remedy. This is a guide about remedies for excessive sweating.

I have been using Certain-Dri 72 hours roll on for a couple of weeks, but I see little result. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I take showers every night and than apply it after an hour, like the directions say. I could use some help. I am starting school in September. Last year was horrible always having to use a jacket to cover it up, but still have the wetness under it.

By Emma

Answers

By Sally Pifer (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have your doctor give you a prescription for Drysol. This was originally used for sweating feet. However, it works under your arms too. I had a terrible sweating problem for years, but the Drysol did the trick. Apply right after a shower. I think you will only have to use it once or twice a week, but check the directions. I always recommend Drysol. It was a lifesaver for me. I found out about Drysol from a Dear Abby column when a reader had asked Abby for advice to stop sweating.

Best Answer

I've found that not all of the "clinical strength" antiperspirants work the same. I've found Secret to be the best with Degree an acceptable alternative. The directions on all of them say to apply before going to bed. I usually take a shower before bed, then immediately apply the antiperspirant. I don't get dressed right away, I let it dry a bit first. If I know it's going to be a particularly hot day, the next morning I will apply again.

Towards the end of each shower I gradually start to turn the water to cold to bring my body temperature down a bit. It's nearly cold by the time I step out. I dry off right away and then use Shower to Shower body powder on those spots where I tend to sweat a lot. Baby powder doesn't work nearly as well as the Shower to Shower.

If you have trouble with sweating under your bra, you might find placing a triangularly folded washcloth placed between the bra band and your skin keeps away a lot of the excess moisture.

Every chance I get throughout the day I use a very cold, wet facecloth and press it against my face and neck to bring my body temperature down.

Sorry this got so long, I hope it helps!

Best Answer

I have heard that Botox injections can help with over-active sweat glands. Go see your doc. Good luck, I can see how this would make you feel so bad.

My niece has a problem with perspiration under her arms. She is only 16 years old. She has used every kind of antiperspirant imaginable but she still sweats badly and hates this problem. She doesn't have a bad odor under her arms, just the sweating that embarrasses her. What can she do to prevent this? I sure hope someone can solve this as she is very popular and smart and has a lot of friends and this really annoys her. I love my Niece and would like to help her.

God Bless,
Angelheart from Clyde, TX

Answers

By Anonymous (Guest Post)

She can use an antiperspirant called "Certain Dri." I suffered with problem underarm perspiration for years and it's the only thing that ever worked for me. It's available at most chain drug stores.

Take her to a naturopathic doctor and have a food allergy test done. She may have an allergic reaction to a food or foods that cause this problem.

By Ang (Guest Post)

Although it sounds strange, try this. Cut a lemon in half and wipe under each arm, it dries very quickly. This eliminates both odour and excessive perspiration. I have had a cancer surgery and lost some lymph nodes under my left arm (armpit), and the Professor in charge of my care asked me to tell every woman I know NOT TO USE ALUMINIUM BASED DEODORANT. Because this ingredient/compound prevents accurate mammogram readings, and also clogs your bodies natural ability to rid itself of sweat and the toxins it needs to be rid of.

One of my work collegues who is from Thailand told me of the 'lemon trick', its very cheap, its healthy and natural and it works wonderfully. Just slice a thin piece off the end of the lemon and store in the refridgerator in a plastic baggie. This also works well for smelly feet. Very best of luck.

I have a real problem with sweating and it is really embarrasing. I take dance lessons and within the first 2 minutes my clothes are wet and sweat is running down my face, it seems like anything I do causes this. Has anyone else had this problem and what can be done about it?

Thanks so much,
Helen

Answers

By Wendee (Guest Post)

Hi, Helen,
I'm in the same boat! It IS embarrassing. I'm always happy when summer is over and the cool temps come back, but shopping or indoor activites are just as bad in the winter as summer. I don't own a single sweater, I'm too warm to wear them.

I think I'd feel cooler if I lost weight, but then, when I think back, I was just as sweaty in high school and I was skinny then!
I'll be checking in to see if someone has some suggestions. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, thanks, Helen.

Hi Wendee, Thanks for the comeback, I too am a bit overweight , but had the problem when I was a "twigee"and much younger, I am 65 and just starting to get involved with some of our communitee activities. This isn't helping me to feel at ease especially with new people, although it isn't a nervous thing , the sweating does make me feel uneasy. Let's hope someone will be able to help us both and anyone else who has the same problem, Nice to know too that I am not alone.. Thanks

By jean in GA (Guest Post)

Well, I have company. I used to go to the gym, until one day the lady behind the counter thought I had been in the pool and told me I should always dry off before walking around in the lobby.

I sweat buckets. In the house, working in the yard, you name it. Will check back here to see if someone has a suggestion.

By annie (Guest Post)

What you need is a deodorant stone. If you search with google you will find one. They work !!!!

By Syd (Guest Post)

This could be a hyperhydrosis problem. Many times it involves the hands and feet where water pours off. Very embarassing! Thinking about it seems to make it worse. It's something you are born with!

I agree with Syd about the possibility of Hyper Hydrosis (I have a cousin that had it). Here is a site with some good information on the subject: http://www.theb  neral/hyper.html I was surprised to read about the use of "botox" for this problem. It's certainly something to talk with your doctors about. God bless all of you that deal with this problem :)

By (Guest Post)

try certain dri at your local drugstore, im a teen and i sweat while im just sitting in class and iif it doesnt work get your doc to write a prescription for dry-sol its 5 bucks a bottle adn you can put it all over yourt body..and it works, saved my life! :)

Hi Helen, me too. Mine is from hot flashes. I can't take any estrogen type replacements, not even over the counter due to estrogen positive breast cancer. I feel dirty all the time. I change during the night and all. It's just awful. I hope you find some help. I wish I could.

By Marina A. Skinner (Guest Post)

I tried a lot of things and spent a lot of money. For me the cure was so simple. Just balance the body's pH. Go to www.gohtn.com/marinaskinner. Try a free 30 day supply and let me know. Good Luck!

Marina Skinner
www.triad.rr.com

By Tara (Guest Post)

It's called hyper hydrosis. Excessive sweating. I suffered from it for 15 years (15 to 30 yrs old) and i'm 5'8 and 115 lbs. It has nothing to do with body weight or exertion. I resorted to wearing only black up top or skimpy tank tops in the summer since i would sweat thru any article of clothing about 5 min out of the shower. I tried every type of deodorant to no avail. Don't waste your money or time. Ask the pharmasist for Drisol. Its over the counter and availble in roll on or stick. You clean the area thoroughly, dry thoroughly, then apply. I am allergic so it burned like a son of a .... for the first while. But I didn't care. I followed the directions (only continuied to use a mind deodorant daily for regular odor even tho the bottle says not to). I now use it about once a month. I have never shopped so much in my life. I cannot believe the choices out there! I immediately went out and bought a closet full of colorful tops and threw out all my black clothes!

By (Guest Post)

Ok, same issues but for me, I can be cold, still sweat. And, it was so bad for me, i could not wear shirts that were tight in my armpit area. cause, especialy if it was a lighter color, within a few hours, id have large wet marks.

so, i have discovered something, im doing searches now to share cause i knwo how much this sucks..

so, not sure if this will help everyone but....

I had been sick and normally sweat puddles. I had been eating alot of ice this time cause i i was so dehydrated. Noticed the 2nd day, i was sweating very little. Didnt think much of it... Long story short, next time i got sick, same thing.

So, i was like, ok, im going to try eating ice at nice (just a cup full) and then see what i feel like. So now, i eat ice everynight. Just a cup, thats all. I rarely sweat. Today I am in a shirt that is tight on my armpits, i have not had a single spot all day. Ive been doign this for about 3 months now. Its so great. Its the only difference ive done. Its not even like drugs or anything. Just ice...

I did test it, i went 2 days with out ice, next day, i was sweating on my drive to work with my car still so cold i could see my breath....

So, hope this helps you guys out there...

By Lindy (Guest Post)

I am SO happy that I am not alone with this problem. Like Wendee, I'll be checking this site every day. When I am shopping.....by the time I reach the check out....I am soaking wet. My hair is completely wet....like I just got out of the shower and hadn't towel dried it yet and my face is bright red. A couple of times the clerks did not want me to leave the store. Once, a manager called for an E-Unit thinking I was having a heart attack. It is really embarassing.

I am a veteran sweater - and have adopted certain strategies. For example, wearing natural fibers as much as possible, as synthetics make me hotter. I also wear layers as much as possible, as it allows me to adjust to the temperature. When it is hot, sometimes, on the other hand, synthetics can be good because they don't wilt. I sometimes carry around a battery operated pocket fan, to cool myself off, and also spray myself with cologne on my wrists, at my neck, etc. (the alcohol is cooling.) I also have decorative handfans for warm weather.
I blot my face with ever-present Kleenex, and use replaceable cotton squares as powder puffs, because they absorb moisture & are easily replaced. I like my hair long enough to put up, so I can keep it off my neck, too. I also don't have hair around my face - (like bangs) because it would get wet. If I fluff my hair out with my fingers, it will dry fairly quickly, especially as I try to get a good hair cut, in long layers. I also used to wear bandannas and scarves on my head sometimes - but that doesn't go so well now as I get older - even though it has come back in style.

Hello Everybody,

Do a search on "Hyperhidrosis" (commonly mispelled "Hyperhydrosis"). There's a lot of info. about this out there.

T Babe

My hands get bright red almost all the time. It started when I was 13, I'm now 38. It's very embarrassing, especially in front of an audience. My mother has raynauds, but her hands don't get red, they turn white. I haven't told my doctor yet, I don't know how he hasn't noticed. I feel very healthy and my blood pressure is normal, but as I approach middle aged, I am concerned. I would welcome any feedback from people with my same symptoms.

Pat

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I will suddenly break out with a fine sweat on my hairline, cheeks, and neck, for no rhyme or reason. It happens in the middle of the night, or as soon as I get up, or even while writing this email.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 46 and now I'm 62, so it's not menopause. I exercise, avoid sugar, take my supplements, and still. I tried selenium sulphide shampoo for some time and it worked, but now its back. Why? Please help!

By susheila

I am not sure where to put this question, but I have head and facial sweating so bad that I look like I take a shower every time I move around and sometimes when I am just sitting here. I am so embarrassed and the older I get the worse it gets.

I can't do my make up or my hair and I don't want to go to the gym because after a while from my head getting so hot and the rest of my body sweating, I look like a drowning pig. Yes, I am over weight, but I have had the problem even when I was skinny. I have been to the doctor, the neurologist, the dermatologist, and the cosmetologist and guess what, nothing has been done.

I read on here something about putting Sea Breeze on your scalp and alum mixed with water, but I am unsure how much to use and how often. If anyone has any suggestions please email me through this site. Thank you.

By Angie Lucas from Caledonia, MI

I am 35 old age and I suffer from excessive face sweating when I walk, communicate with a new person, even when I do simple work, when I think a little bit. I think it is genetic from my parents (hormone case). So, how can I stop this excessive facial sweating?

By laloabiti

Regarding head sweating, it seems that we all have one thing in common, there appears to be no cure! I am just like so many I don't want to go any where, it is just horrible to be standing in line and the sweating starts and doesn't stop for at least an hour. I have been looking and looking and have found nothing close to a cure. Oh well I will keep on searching. Good luck to all.

By Lisa

Answers:

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

Vinegar helps under the arm, maybe it will help your head, good luck. (06/05/2010)

By kathleen williams

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

That is a nerve gland in your body. Ask a doc about that. (06/05/2010)

By floyd

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

You definitely want to see a doctor; there are prescriptions to help control excessive sweating. Good luck! (06/06/2010)

By Melanie Jackson

Remedies for Excessive Head Sweating

I wonder if it's hot flashes. I'm way past menopause and sometimes go from hot to cold and cold to hot in no time. My mother had the same problem at 82. (06/07/2010)

By Betty

How can I stop excessive sweating? I use antiperspirants, but that doesn't help, also I can't use it all on my face or all over my body. What can I do? Since I live in the deep south, this is a real problem for me.

P Sanders from Deep South MS

Answers:

Excessive Sweating

I too live in the south (SC so I know your pain. If you are a middle aged female, it's probably hormonal. If not, it could be glandular or metabolic. It can be a reaction to meds. You probably need to see a doctor for a work up. They can prescribe prescription strength antiperspirants and/or use botox to essentially freeze or stop the perspiration from certain glands. You have to be careful about over heating though, because it's the perspiration that cools your body temperature off when it's hot. So if you stop the perspiration, you could get heat stroke. (06/14/2007)

By Deb in SC

Excessive Sweating

Use Certain Dri, it is available at most stores like Walgreens and Target. Apply it at night before going to sleep and go about your normal routine the next day. It really worked for me, I hardly use it now. (06/14/2007)

By Kimberlee

Excessive Sweating

Have your doctor give you a prescription for Drysol. This was originally used for sweating feet. However, it works under your arms, too. I had a terrible sweating problem for years, but the Drysol did the trick. Apply right after a shower. I think you will only have to use it once or twice a week, but check the directions. I always recommend Drysol. It was a lifesaver for me. I found out about Drysol from a Dear Abby column when a reader had asked Abby for advice to stop sweating. (06/15/2007)

By Sally

Excessive Sweating

Also a quick tip is find cold or cool water and place both your wrists in it, this seems to cool me down and I have been a "hottie" since childhood. (06/15/2007)

By Annie Rios Hill

Excessive Sweating

If you are overweight it could be the "fat insulation".
I am thirty pounds heavier than I used to be, I sweat a whole lot more than I used to. (06/17/2007)

By Lilian

Excessive Sweating

You should check out the following website for excessive sweating problems:

bye-bye-excessive-armpit-sweat.com

It has all types of resources, treatments, and even cures for excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis. (10/23/2007)

By Chris

Excessive Sweating

There are quite a number of alternatives to antiperspirants that can help with excessive sweating. There are some oral medications available to help stop the sweating. Talk to your doctor about the problem and he may prescribe anticholinergic or antidepressant drugs to help you control the sweating.

There's also a current buzz about injecting Botox to stop excessive sweating. However, as you sweat also on your face and body, Botox may not seem feasible.

Participating in some form of mediation or self hypnosis may be able to help reduce the sweating if you experience excessive sweating when you are feeling anxious, depressed, or nervous. Try avoiding smoking, caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods which can cause sweating.

You may also want to find out more information at:

stopsweatinghelp.com (07/16/2009)

By JennyV

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.