Remedies for a Cat With Itchy Skin

Category Health
Cat With Itchy Skin
Cats can suffer from excessive itchiness for a variety of reasons. This guide is about remedies for cats with itchy skin.

My cat constantly scratches and he is ripping his skin off so that he bleeds. I have taken him to vet and spent over $2000 and don't know what to do anymore. He has been on prednisone for almost 2 years. Any other thoughts?

By Doris

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Sounds like it may be a food allergy. Look for some recipes or commercial foods and try them for a couple weeks. If you see improvement stay with that food. It can take some real detective work by is worth it. For raw food try Dr. Lisa Piersons website. There are many posts on this website that may be helpful. Be careful, there are a few crackpots out there.

Maybe one of the products from www.allergicpet.com may help.

Do his ears smell at all? It could be yeast or a yeast infection. I would actually improve the cat's diet first, and make sure you are not buying the cheap garbage they sell at the store for the cat. it should be something with no wheat grain or corn and the first ingredient should be meat.

Also make sure that he is not using flea products you can buy at the store. Those are not safe. I would also make sure that you are using a flea product on him that works. I have seen some of the topical ones don't work well, on my dogs, every so often. I would, once I have improved the diet, and taken him to the vet, and don't expect the vet to know about diet or to think the food they sell is not garbage. Often it is worse than the cheap food at the store. Go to Feed stores for the best selection for cat foods.

Your cat could also be allergic to chicken or eggs or anything. Do a challenge diet. Take away certain items one month and see if the cat is doing better.

Here are some notes: http://www.eart  /allergies3.html

Sometimes it gets into a cycle...where the pet itches, and creates sores, and takes antibiotics and then the intestinal flora gets bad and yeast takes over, and so on and then they itch and make sores and the vet prescribes antibiotics, etc. I would start at the gut level, worm the cat, and give him boiled chicken several days in a row, maybe a week, and just a little soft food. See if the cat improves on that. It is amazing what garbage is in food that you can buy at the stores. I like the Diamond brand of food that is free of corn wheat and soy, which cats don't need.....http://www.diam  m/products/cats/

I also like this product for pets: It is for flea control. It does not kill the fleas, it makes them lay eggs that have larvae that do not develop properly and all the eggs they lay are useless. This is a safer way to control fleas. You can find the products under the title Lufenuron.

http://www.ebay  gs-/221039011320

You might find it cheaper on amazon.com. I like it. You give it according to directions once a month.

To boot, find some canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie filling and put in in your cats food for a vitamin burst!

It helps them to feel full! I hope your cat feels better, and soon. Bless it's heart!