Remedies for a Cat With Itchy Skin

Category Health
Cats can suffer from excessive itchiness for a variety of reasons. This guide is about remedies for cats with itchy skin.

My cat constantly scratches and he is ripping his skin off so that he bleeds. I have taken him to vet and spent over $2000 and don't know what to do anymore. He has been on prednisone for almost 2 years. Any other thoughts?

By Doris

Answers

Sounds like it may be a food allergy. Look for some recipes or commercial foods and try them for a couple weeks. If you see improvement stay with that food. It can take some real detective work by is worth it. For raw food try Dr. Lisa Piersons website. There are many posts on this website that may be helpful. Be careful, there are a few crackpots out there.

Maybe one of the products from www.allergicpet.com may help.

Do his ears smell at all? It could be yeast or a yeast infection. I would actually improve the cat's diet first, and make sure you are not buying the cheap garbage they sell at the store for the cat. it should be something with no wheat grain or corn and the first ingredient should be meat.

Also make sure that he is not using flea products you can buy at the store. Those are not safe. I would also make sure that you are using a flea product on him that works. I have seen some of the topical ones don't work well, on my dogs, every so often. I would, once I have improved the diet, and taken him to the vet, and don't expect the vet to know about diet or to think the food they sell is not garbage. Often it is worse than the cheap food at the store. Go to Feed stores for the best selection for cat foods.

Your cat could also be allergic to chicken or eggs or anything. Do a challenge diet. Take away certain items one month and see if the cat is doing better.

Here are some notes: http://www.eart  /allergies3.html

Sometimes it gets into a cycle...where the pet itches, and creates sores, and takes antibiotics and then the intestinal flora gets bad and yeast takes over, and so on and then they itch and make sores and the vet prescribes antibiotics, etc.

I would start at the gut level, worm the cat, and give him boiled chicken several days in a row, maybe a week, and just a little soft food. See if the cat improves on that. It is amazing what garbage is in food that you can buy at the stores. I like the Diamond brand of food that is free of corn wheat and soy, which cats don't need.....http://www.diam  m/products/cats/

I also like this product for pets: It is for flea control. It does not kill the fleas, it makes them lay eggs that have larvae that do not develop properly and all the eggs they lay are useless. This is a safer way to control fleas. You can find the products under the title Lufenuron.

http://www.ebay  gs-/221039011320

You might find it cheaper on amazon.com. I like it. You give it according to directions once a month.

To boot, find some canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie filling and put in in your cats food for a vitamin burst!

It helps them to feel full! I hope your cat feels better, and soon. Bless it's heart!

I've a got a wonderful long haired kitty and we've had her about a year now. About six months or so ago she got a sore because she wouldn't stop scratching in one particular spot. We took her to the vet and they gave her an anti-itch shot. Well the same has happened several times, we changed pet food, pills, but nothing works for long. It'll go away and then she is back itching in the same exact spot. Does anyone have any sort of idea to help me please, the vet bills are really expensive and I hate having to see her like this.

Answers

People have said that giving a cat whey and rubbing coconut oil on the spot are good for this

Poor kitty!! Will send up healing prayers for you!

It is frustrating...I know because we have a pup with the same kind of challenges.

It is perfect that you started with the vet. His/her expertise is always the best to follow. You may want to talk to your vet about your financial concerns and ask if they can work with you for a sliding scale or reduced payments. Many will work with you as long as you don't abuse the opportunity.

Talk to your vet (maybe they would do a "free" phone call) about some of the points in this article

www.petmd.com/.../4-common-causes-of-itchiness-in-cats...

The one thing I suggest talking to the vest about is about the food...

You mentioned that you changed foods which is good...but it may not be a brand thing, but what is IN the food.

While with our dog it was chicken and grains he had issues with, cat's have different trigger food allergies -- beef, fish, and dairy are top on the list.

It does make some sense as what would a cat in the average wild eat....and most aren't going to be catching cows, fish or eating cheese. It would probably pay someone to make mouse flavored cat food...but I am sure PETA would probably strongly object :(

Talk to your vet to see if a chicken/egg based food would be better for your baby. These are things if they were in the wild they would be able to find so they help reduce this situation if it is an allergy.

Something else to ask the vet is if a home air purifier may help. These are not cheap (a good one is around $150) but it may help the kitty and you if you live an area where there a lot of air borne allergens.

Sometimes the big box stores offer coupons, so you can get the price down. Look for one with a "gold" filter, meaning one you don't have to replace every so many months, but instead you wash and reuse. It is critical to keep the filter clean so the machine works.

I hope these tips help with your fur kid. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

it sounds like you are really trying to find a solution to eliminate her misery but many times it can be something simple and other times we may not give a "solution" time to work but give up too quickly and try something else.

• Did you change her food on your vet's advice or is this something you worked out on your own?
  • Not surprising (if you look at the first ingredient on most cat food) is corn and corn by-products. Many cats have problems when fed this type food.
  • There are some excellent foods available but to know for sure if one food is better, it takes 12 week trial and your baby may continue to be in misery up until the 9-11th week.
  • Read some of this information about allergies and see if your problem might be listed here.
  • canna-pet.com/.../
  • www.petcoach.co/.../
  • I have some suggestions that might help with the itching/scratching.
  • I have friends who use this formula on their cats and dogs:
  • Mix a little plain (brown) Listerine, with a little baby oil (or olive oil) and water (same amount each one) and dab on the spots several times a day. You can use a clean cotton ball or q-tip. They may not like the taste but it is not harmful if they lick it off (a small amount will usually remain).
  • Another good safe product is aloe vera (straight from the plant or the juice). Just dab it on several times a day.
  • Since you have already tried so many things I have other suggestions I have heard about:
  • Chamomile tea - brew a cup and place in refrigerator until chilled. Dab on spots or spray on (most cats hate sprays).
  • Hydrocortisone cream - caution - just dab a little on the spots but use ONLY in places she cannot lick.
  • Apple cider vinegar - mix 1 part vinegar with 3-4 parts water (not too strong if spots are inflamed).
  • Hydrogen peroxide - mix 1 cup hydrogen peroxide with 2-3 tablespoons baking soda and a splash of dishwashing soap (blue Dawn is best). Dab on spots.
  • Many vets recommend using a small amount of Benadryl occasionally but that will have to be a personal choice. Here is one site that has information but do research for yourself.
  • pets.thenest.com/benadryl-severe-scratching-cats-11282...
  • This site may have other suggestions.
  • www.petmd.com/.../28-4606