Remedies for Dry Skin

Everyone seems to be having problems with dry skin in different forms, places on the body, and stages. I have been surprised this year, it seems to be everyone. I have tips used by my grandma and experiments I use that work. I hope these will help you.

The aisle at all drug stores, groceries, etc. are empty of the "dry skin" products which shows companies are unaware of this problem. If you look at the ingredients in dry skin products, you'll see you can DYI most of it at a much cheaper price.

Add Olive Oil or Vitamin E to Lotion

Add a drop of olive oil or vitamin E to face creams from the dollar store. Depending on jar size and if you use if to remove makeup (near eyes), you may not want to do full jar. You may want to have two separate jars, one with added "moisture" and one without.

Same goes for body lotion. Buy inexpensive lotion, usually these are generic names and add olive oil, mineral oil, or vitamin E to the lotion. Give it several days and that flaky skin will be gone or at the very least showing signs of improvement.

Add Vitamin C Capsules to Lotion

I love finding the Vitamin C capsules made by beauty companies. Recently we found them at the back of TJ Max. The cost of these are way out of my budget. However at that marked down price, adding it to lotion either for face or body put a smile on my face. One capsule is what was on the instructions on the jar, and I think there were 30 in this particular container. When I added it to what I already use, it will last longer than 30 uses, doing the job just perfectly for me.

Keep in mind you can put olive oil and mineral oil directly on your skin, however adding it to a lotion will help your skin absorb it, holding it in for longer periods of time. Dry elbow and feet in any winter is a problem. This winter, the wind, early low temperatures, and even snow has made it so long sleeves, socks, even boots started early. Make sure you don't always have these areas covered so they're not getting fresh air.

Moisturize After Washing

Making sure the area is dry also is very important. After doing dishes, if you don't use gloves (like me), always dry your hands well. Try having hand lotion right by sink, then anyone has it there to remind them to use it. Using hand sanitizer with alcohol is something I have to do, and it is very drying. Using lotion more often, helps avoid cracking skin on your hands. My lotion I use after sanitizer has much more added olive oil.

Vaseline for Cracked Heals

Putting Vaseline on your feet with a pair of socks helps those dry, cracking heels. If you can't stand sleeping in socks, rub in the Vaseline as much as possible, doing it right before pulling up the covers.

Wax for Dry Cuticles

I have an experiment that I actually did discover on my own - wax around my nails helps with dry, hardened areas around nails, even hangnails. I love candles burning especially in the winter months. When the candle has burned down, just dip your tips of finger in wax. I just dip my nails in the melted wax, let set before it completely hardens, then I rub it into my finger tips. Works great! If you don't like candles, you can still do this. Wait until the candle has a puddle of wax, blow out flame, and dip in your finger tips. Rubbing the wax protects your nails from the cold air, also from water. I have noticed how it helps with hang nails caused from dryness.

Do It Yourself Paraffin Dips

You can do your own salon type treatment by buying paraffin, melting it in slow cooker, then dip hands (or feet) into melted wax. Once covered, take out your hand (or foot), put into plastic bag, and then put into an oven mitt. If you are lucky enough to have large rectangular slow cooker, you can do same thing with feet, use plastic bag, and wrap in towel afterwards. I do this all year long, in winter months it's amazing how it helps moisture stay in your skin. You can buy paraffin at the market, where canning jars usually are. Reuse over and over again. You can buy a slow cooker at a thrift store, yard sale, or if you are lucky enough to have an old one, bring it new life.

Steam

Giving your skin a steam over hot water helps big time in dry, cold air. While it helps your face, boiling the water also puts moisture in the air. Don't burn yourself! I just place a towel over my head staying far away from hot water. Let the steam do the work. You can do this in bathroom also if the door closes tightly, using the bathroom sink. Keep in mind this doesn't help saving on water or electric bill. I suggest using bowl and towel.

Look in the store where they sell skin and body products, you too may find those special capsules on sale. If not, no worries. Vitamin E and olive oil go a very long way toward helping you have smooth, beautiful skin all season long.

Source: Olive oil is the source for so many things (used in hair also). It even saves money if you buy this at the regular price, I just couldn't afford it. I can afford to follow my grandma's ways. Salons do wax and steam treatments, so I found ways to do at home.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

17 More Solutions

This is is old, but good. Are your hands dry and cracked? Just put sugar and butter together and rub real, real good, then wash off with soap.

Just yesterday I bought a product (can't find it online) that has beeswax, grape seed oil, night primrose oil, olive oil, shea butter, essential oil, honey, and vitamin E. I was told to use it as lotion. I have psoriasis on the palm of one hand and cannot leave it alone.

Not drying off with a towel after your shower or bath can save your skin from aging, drying out and help to absorb the lotion better. I have old terry cloth robes that I put on when getting out of a shower.

I have been using pure coconut oil for the past two months. I no longer have red, cracked, and bleeding hands nor do my feet have large unhappy cracks in them.

I use flaxseed oil for dry skin. I put flaxseed oil in my pets' food for their dry skin too. I also use flaxseed for constipation. Flax is really wonderful.

I have terrible dry skin. I am itching all the time, it is just horrible! I talked to my new doctor about it and decided to share her advice with all of you. It really does work and no pills!

1 wedge of papaya Scrape out the seeds, scoop out the fruit, and mash it. Smooth over entire face. After 5 minutes, wipe off with washcloth. Follow by splashing face with cool water. (*also works well on flaky skin) By Suzanne S.

During winter, your skin loses moisture and tends to dry even when you apply lotion. Add few drops of olive oil to your bottle of lotion and shake well.

I work outdoors and have dry cracked skin on my hands; lotions do not repair the damage. Help?

By Ken T.

Answers

A lady helped my husband with this. His would crack so deep they bled, and he went to doctor after doctor, and was even prescribed a $500 tube of medication.

She said to use pure aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil, rubbed into the hands, and cover with non-porous gloves, such as medical gloves.
He also drinks about 4 ounces of aloe vera juice a day, and takes vitamins E and C, as well as a multi-vit.
After about 2 weeks, his hands were remarkably better. He has been doing this for almost 2 months. His hands still crack. We think related to his hand contact with the steering wheel of his 18 wheeler, but this treatment is inexpensive and easy even for him.

Best of luck to you!

Growing up on a farm, I was taught that very little works as good as Bag Balm. Imagine what it would be like to have cracked...um...udders.

I think this would help, also the other poster had an excellent tip. Often times, help from within is more effective than from without.

We all need C and lots of water. I hope these two tips help.
PBP

Nothing is as good as Bag Balm. Almost always available at feed stores.

I have dry skin. What can I use?

By kome

Answers

I too suffer from very dry skin and tried many expensive and inexpensive lotions and creams. I was advised by two dermatologists to use virgin olive oil and that is what works best for me. I hesitated because of the smell but it is absorbed quickly and is not noticeable.

Several keys:
First, make sure you're hydrated from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and other liquids.
Second, review your diet--are you getting adequate vitamins, calories, and some fat? If you have questions, keep a food diary and review it with your doctor.
Third, a lot of lotions don't necessarily add moisture to your skin as much as seal the moisture you're losing in. Keeping this in mind, after you bathe or shower (avoid hot baths, they tend to dry you out), pat yourself dry and then seal your skin with lotion or even a cooking oil. (If you use oil, take care getting dressed so you don't get your clothes oily.)

Ask friends what lotions they like best. Ask if you can try a "squirt" of theirs. It seems we all have our own favorites.

Nivea cream is wonderful.

I worked in homecare nursing for years and learned that if you apply a good moisturizing lotion to the skin after you shower and gently dry, the skin's moisture will hold the lotion in to prevent the skin from drying out. It really works well. Good luck.

Answer this Question

My skin is really bad. It's red and burns here and there. A section on my cheek peeled and it left that part pink and it's just making me feel so insecure. I've never had my skin this bad.

I also tried aloe vera gel and it stained some parts of my dry skin green and the doctor recommend this A&D ointment and I'm just hoping it works well and heals my skin.

Bag Balm was created for soothing a dairy cow's sore and chapped udders. It's great for human hands and feet as well. This is a page about using bag balm for dry skin.

A green box of Bag Balm medicated ointment.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Try a yeast facial on dry skin to keep your complexion soft and supple. This is a page about how to use yeast for a dry skin facial.

Yeast in wooden spoon

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

You need to consult your doctor and use a mild moisturizer when rehydrating a baby's skin. This is a page about treating a baby's dry skin.

A parent holding their baby's hand.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Dry SkinDecember 15, 2011
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Remedies-for-Dry-Skin-1.html