Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Category Health
You need to consult your doctor and use a mild moisturizer when rehydrating a baby's skin. This is a guide about treating a baby's dry skin.

My nephew is suffering from severe dry skin and baby acne. The doctor has recommended a few things.

1) Stop using Aveeno baby soap and use Dove soap.
2) Use Aquaphor lotion on his skin.
3) Wash all of our clothes in his detergent.

These things have been done and it seems that the skin is getting worse. Any suggestions from you mothers out there that have dealt with this recently? There are so many harsh chemicals in stuff now-a-days, (even stuff that promises it's fragrance/dye free).

What soaps, lotions, and detergent did you use with your baby?

By Christy from Charlotte, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Our pediatrician said the doctor she learned from told patients to use Crisco or Vaseline (petroleum jelly -- not Vaseline lotion). I used Aquaphor ointment on my daughter, or I think they had a creamy petroleum jelly product (don't know if they still make it). I've since found Bio Oil and jojoba oil. If you do some reading up on jojoba, it's really great! I order mine online (Vitacost), but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find locally. I don't know if these oils are recommended for use on babies.

I didn't wash her too often, because I didn't want to dry out her skin any more. I tried to moisturize her skin as quickly as possible after bathing, to seal in moisture. I used Dreft on all of our laundry while she was little, and when she got a little older, I switched to a dye-free/perfume-free detergent (which is what I used prior to having her, too).

I hope your baby's skin improves soon. We still battle rough, dry patches in the winter. But it's getting better! Best of luck!

Best Answer

DS#3 went throught the same thing. I was getting so frustrated with it, that I was about ready to take him to a pediatric dermatologist. Our dr ordered us a prescription Eucerin compound that helped some, then triamcinolone cream which really helped. What made the biggest difference, though, was when he was diagnosed with allergies to cats--the pediatric allergist was amazed that his numbers for cat dander were so high considering he was only 7 months old when initially tested--and eggs. Since we have exiled the cat outside and eliminated all egg sources from his diet and mine (I'm breastfeeding), his eczema has pretty much cleared up.

He still has a few stubborn patches, but the triamcinolone takes care of those in a few days. The child does have to be at least 6 months old to do the blood test for allergies, and, in my experience, doctors are reluctant to order it unless there has been a definite reaction.

As far as washing him, as others have said, be careful not to overwash. Young babies don't get that dirty on a daily basis, and a daily bath generally isn't needed. We are currently using Dove Sensitive, the kind that is supposed to be free of everything. For general lotion, we are currently using Vanicream, again, free of everything.

I hope this helps! I know it can be very frustrating!

How can I moisturize my newborn's dry skin on his face, neck, upper body, and arms?

By Fiesty1 from IL

Answers:

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Put baby oil from Dollar store or any store all over the baby, good luck. (07/26/2009)

By kathleen williams

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Some of what you may regard as dry skin is skin peeling off from having been in the amniotic fluid in the womb. It will wear off all by itself.

Test anything you put on a baby's skin in one spot, the size of dime before you put it all over body; also some of the stuff in dollar stores (where I also shop) is from foreign countries
who don't have as stringent a requirement for purity.
So for time being I wouldn't use anything from there on a new baby. My son had a very bad reaction to an imported
soap as an adult.

My grandson and his girl are expecting in next couple of weeks and I am just going to get Johnson and Johnson's basic baby products until they see how baby reacts; I haven't heard complaints about their basic oil or castile soap, which is made from olive oil.

(07/26/2009)

By PENNY K

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Try extra virgin organic coconut oil, it's natural, no chemicals, unlike the Johnson's products and baby oil. Plus, it will last a long time, nice scent, too. (07/26/2009)

By Wendy

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

If you bathe baby too frequently it will dry their skin out. Newborns don't have to be bathed as often, but when you do bathe baby, right after the bath is the best time to apply lotion. I would maybe go with Johnson and Johnson's creamy baby oil. I used this for my son's eczema when he was an infant. (07/28/2009)

By Misty

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Extra virgin olive oil will do it. It has been used in our family for years. (07/29/2009)

By Katie Genereux

Treating a Baby's Dry Skin

Olive or coconut oil is what I would use. Those are what I use for my own skin. Lotions have chemicals, even those lotions meant for babies. If it contains chemicals, it has the potential to harm baby, and certainly to make the problem worse. (08/11/2009)

By Heather Bennett