Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot
Your crockpot can be used to conveniently cook ground beef without the hassle of frying, before adding to a recipe. This is a guide about cooking ground beef in a crockpot.

Can you cook ground beef in a crock pot?

By Alan from Buffalo, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

By all means, yes. Put raw hamburger in a crock with some water and let it go. Then you can just drain it and add sauce and beans for chili. Or just add some brown sugar and mustard with some ketchup for sloppy Joes. OR... you can take it out of the pot and drain it for some other recipe like tacos or SOS.

Slow cookers are a great way to do chicken for chicken salad or Fajitas.

Hi Alan. I cook ground beef in the crock pot a lot! The only thing I wouldn't recommend ground beef in the crock pot for is a dish that needs the beef to stand alone and look skillet browned. (It can look a little gray from the crock pot if not smothered in sauce or gravy or broth, but it does get cooked fully, regardless.)

I often cook up 3 - 5 pounds of raw ground beef in the crock pot with a small amount (just enough to cover) of beef broth. When fully cooked I strain it and divide it into 1 pound portions to freeze for later menus like spaghetti, Sloppy Joes, skillet meals, soups, etc. It's a great time saver and there is no loss of flavor.

If the grayish color bothers you (and you don't mind washing an extra skillet :-) lightly brown the raw ground beef on the stove top before tossing it into the crock pot and all will be well. Happy Eats!

What temperature do you use to cook ground beef in a crockpot?

By KM from Lacrorse, WI

Answers:

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

I've used both temperatures with no problem. (04/07/2010)

By WildIrish

Does anyone know if it's possible to cook ground beef in a crockpot? To save time and money I usually buy large packs of ground beef, cook it up, add seasonings, and then put single-dinner amounts into freezer bags. Right now it's just too hot to stand over stove to do all this cooking. I'd much rather put the ground beef into the crock to cook outside, but I don't know if it will do the job. Anyone try this before?

Trix from Toronto Canada

Answers:

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

Of course you can. Just mix it well a couple of times during the day or you may have meatloaf. Drain it really well in a colander. (08/10/2006)

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

You can cook hamburger in the crock pot, also, you can add the seasonings and onions, and make your hamburger dish. We make meatloaf like this, also. (08/10/2006)

By Glinda

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

I use my crock pot everyday that I work. I have cooked ground beef in the crock pot in the large quantities that you are asking about. I did not have a problem with the meat looking "pale"; it looks quite normal. I use ground turkey mixed with ground sirloin (1/2 and 1/2), as well as alone, in the crock pot. Who cares what it looks like? It still tastes the same. Has the same nutritional value.

Another tip: I have taken ground turkey and added oatmeal, and have used bread crumbs also, to stretch the meat and have used it in everything from spaghetti to meat loaf. My family never knew the difference. Happy cooking.

I also drain my meats. And have cooked all sorts of meat in my crock pot, pork chops, chicken breasts, chocolate cake (wait that's not meat). Good luck. (08/10/2006)

By especielle

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

This is my chili recipe that I always make in the crockpot.
My hubby does not like kidney beans so I use pork and beans. Don't let the tomato soup throw you off. Give it a try, tastes great
You already have the ground beef cooked so you are ready to go, no need to thaw it out, just put in the crock pot frozen with the other ingredients and stir in an hour or so.

Crockpot Chili

In the morning put everything in the crockpot give it a good stir and put on low for 5-6 hours.
This is the original recipe. I usually add, diced green or red peppers and celery (whateaver I have on hand)
Can be doubled and freezes well.

You can also make your favorite meatloaf recipe in the crockpot, form it into a loaf and cook on low for 5-6 hours. I line my crockpot with tinfoil so it is easier to remove from the crockpot. (08/11/2006)

By PICO

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

I don't care for frozen, cooked hamburger so what I do to save time is freeze (maybe a pound or less) in a freezer bag and "squash" it down into a large patty. When you need it, take it out and it thaws in a short amount of time, or I put it in a frying/saucepan with a lid and cook it. It takes very little time (microwave would work also to thaw), drain, and make my dish. Tastes a whole lot better for the little effort taken. (08/11/2006)

By

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

I prefer to freeze my hamburger raw, but my Mother-in-Law always cooks her ground beef in her crock pot first and then she lets it cool enough to get rid of the grease before putting into containers/bags for the freezer. (08/13/2006)

By nikkiev

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

The key to cooking ground beef in the crockpot is to add water. I usually add one to three cups of water depending on how much ground beef I am cooking. The water steams the beef so it doesn't get clumpy, it ends up nice and crumbly. When the beef is cooked, I drain it in a colander and rinse it in really hot water to remove whatever grease is clinging to the meat. Then I separate it into individual freezer bags after it has cooled some, and then freeze. I have cooked up to 10 lbs of ground beef at a time this way. It's perfect. (02/25/2008)

By Rachael

Cooking Ground Beef in a Crockpot

I use non fat ground beef such as 97% fat free and 7% fat. I never had any problems cooking this in the crock pot. Just add water so this won't burn. I included a website for great recipes to use. a-crock-cook.com/ground-beef-crock-pot-recipes.html (09/26/2009)

By Raeb22