Cooking with Ground Turkey

Category Meat
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Ground turkey is a lower fat alternative that you can substitute for ground beef in many of your favorite recipes. This is a guide about cooking with ground turkey.

We all know ground turkey or chicken is healthier then beef. But what if you miss that beef flavor? I have come up with a way to make turkey or chicken burgers, loaf, or pretty much any recipe you swap ground turkey or chicken for beef, taste like you DID use beef! It's easy:

Take the chicken or turkey, and mix in (for 1 pound of meat)

• 1 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp of ground coriander

Then cook your meat, whether it's a meat loaf or just hamburger helper! Add your regular seasonings once you've added your "beef" flavoring. It really does taste so much beefier!

The economy is tough, so we are eating more ground turkey instead of ground hamburger. It is always difficult for me to get the turkey to taste less like turkey and to get brown.

Today, I put about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the pan and let it warm before I added the turkey. I left it alone long enough to brown the bottom then I flipped it over and let that side brown. I began to break it up with the spatula. Since I was making family recipe (guess what's in it - goulash), I added some chopped onions and 2 cups of hot water, then I let it cook while gathering my other ingredients.

It tasted like hamburger and everyone liked it. Hope someone can benefit from this tip.

By SpookyCat from Oklahoma

When cooking with ground turkey, make sure to drain all the grease off by browning it, then placing in a colander and letting the grease drip out.

As low fat as you may imagine turkey to be, the saucer under the colander will surprise you with the amount of grease it has collected.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Substitute frozen ground turkey bought at a discount grocery store such as Aldi or Save-a-Lot. It is about $1 a pound in any recipe that calls for hamburger. I never buy ground beef unless it is on sale for .99 a pound.

By Mrslinkous from KC

How do you crumble ground turkey finely?

By Pam

If you need to brown the turkey, do so over low heat and mash with a fork while stirring steadily. If you just need it cooked, cook in a saucepan in a cup of water, stirring constantly until the meat is no longer pink. Drain and use in your recipe. If you make homemade soup, save the water to add to the next pot. Hope this helps.

I use turkey for every thing. You do it exactly like ground red meat, it just has so much less fat. Doesnt brown the same color as red meat either. Cook until not pink. I use a spatula over medium to low heat,stirring until done. You'll notice there isn't any fat, if you have any just drain as you would with red meat.

You can take turkey breasts if have food processor (great blender like I do) it will grind into ground meat. Substitute turkey for any recipe that calls for ground meat. Sorry, I don't use water to cook mine, here are 2 ways sure one will work great for you.

Good luck, I love using turkey sure you will, too !

I use a good old fashioned potato masher to break down ground beef and ground turkey, when cooking.

My new stove just went out, hmmm? I am cooking ground turkey in my crockpot, on high. Does anyone know how long it needs to cook, for it to be food safe? Any help would be much greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By hazelsparcel

My crockpot chilli is cooked with ground turkey instead of ground beef. It takes 2-21/2 hours for the turkey to get done on high

Fool your finicky eaters with low-fat ground turkey. The trick, add some browning sauce to mixture as you are frying it. It turns the turkey browner, more like hamburger (and doesn't change the clean taste at all!)

By Barb Fowler

Answers:

"Faux" Hamburger

I have used ground turkey in chili in the past. In order to trick my husband into eating it (he is a picky, prejudiced eater who will eat only beef, and who would not eat turkey if he was starving), I had to add lots of spices to the turkey as I was browning it in the skillet, because it had relatively no taste. He ate the chili and thought that it was really good. Never told him what the meat really was! (03/22/2005)

"Faux" Hamburger

Another trick is to add beef bouillon to the turkey mixture.
(03/22/2005)

By mkymlp

"Faux" Hamburger

We've used ground turkey meat for several years now. Always adding spices to the bland taste of the turkey. Recently we tried mixing 1 lb. ground turkey sausage to 1 lb. ground turkey, which we both like a lot better. I don't have to cover up the flavor of it, as I would if I'd just used the plain ground turkey meat alone. (04/09/2005)

By badwater