Recipes Using Ground Turkey

Category Poultry
Try substituting lean ground turkey for hamburger in your favorite recipes or prepare a recipe specifically intended for turkey. This page contains recipes using ground turkey.

This is a very frugal meal, using up what you have in the freezer; ground turkey, frozen veggies, and the other things you happen to have in the cupboard. Great meal on a dark, dreary, cold and rainy day. Enjoy!

Total Time: 30 minutes prep Time 2 hours simmer time

Yield: Many, this makes about a 6 quart pot full

• 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 small green peppers, cut into large chunks
  • 2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 box frozen spinach, dropped into the soup
  • 2 32 oz. carton vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • Seasonings to taste*
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup white cooking wine, optional

*Seasonings: Start with an 1/8 tsp. each first: seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, basil, thyme, rosemary, adobe seasoning, Italian seasoning and sage. I thought sage would be tasty because I was using turkey. Also add 2 tsp. of sugar, as this enhances all your flavors. When you let this simmer, do a taste test, and then you can adjust the seasonings to your taste.

1. Start with your large soup pot on a medium heat, with a little olive oil and ground turkey. Stir until ground fine and cooked.
  2. Add onion, celery, garlic, green peppers, stirring well and let the veggies cook for about 2 minutes.
  3. Add all the seasoning, broth and water and stir well. Add tomatoes, spinach and frozen vegetables, stirring after each addition.
  4. Let this simmer for about 2 hours, checking and stirring frequently.

Healthy filling soup you can whip up all in one pot. Perfect to serve as a first course or for lunch or dinner.

Optional: Serve with your choice of pasta.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 6 - 8 bowls

• 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • dash rainbow peppercorn (black pepper)
  • dash salt
  • 1/4 tsp thyme
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1 yam
  • 3 carrots
  • 3 corn
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • farfalle
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil

1. I am using fresh corn because it is on sale right now at Sprouts 5 for $1. I boiled corn for about 10 minutes and cut from the cob..
  2. Meanwhile corn is boiling, wash and prep ingredients. Mince garlic cloves, cut carrots, onions, potatoes, and yam in your desired size.
  3. In a pot, add olive oil and cook your turkey until brown. Add dash of salt/pepper. Once browned add carrots and onions to sauté.
  4. Add chicken broth in and diced tomatoes.
  5. Add the corn, yams, potatoes and tomato paste. Give it a good mix.
  6. Add thyme and dash of salt/pepper. Allow soup to boil and then turn down heat to simmer for about 30-35 minutes, or until ready.
  7. To make this soup more filling, I like to serve with pasta. My choice of pasta used is farfalle. Follow boiling instructions per recipe. You can either add your pasta in while boiling, or separately. I did separate since some guests do not want pasta in their soup.
  8. In a bowl, add a little bit of farfelle then soup over it and mix together. Ready to serve.

Brown turkey and onion in skillet for 8-10 minutes on low. Stir in pickle relish and BBQ sauce. Cook 2-3 minutes longer. Makes about 6 burgers.

I bought some Jennie-O frozen turkey patties but unfortunately we don't care for the taste of using them as burgers. Is there anything else I could make with them, by grinding them up in casseroles or something of the sort? Thanks!

Tracy from Shellsburg, IA

Answers

I made up this super easy turkey chili- cook the turkey, then add a can of Petite diced tomatoes and jalapenos (with the juice), a can each of black beans and dark red kidney beans (washed and drained), and a packet of chili seasoning. If you want to get fancy, you can add a diced onion and some fresh jalapenos and monterey jack cheese. The cheese is what really holds it all together- I'm a big fan of cheese! This works really well with chips. I started using ground turkey since it's a bit healthier than hamburger, and with all the seasoning, I can't tell a difference. Hope you like it!

You could break them up and mix them with hamburger to make meatloaf. I bought some veggie burgers once that my family didn't like and I used them in place of the chicken in chicken parmesan.

I cooked them in the oven until brown, then covered with spagetti sauce, and put mozzerella on top. Baked until hot and the cheese was melted.

By joesgirl (Guest Post)

I have never used Jennie-O Frozen Turkey Patties but I have once purchased Jennie-O-Frozen Boneless Turkey Breast. It was absolutely disgusting & had a real vile taste. Never again will I buy anything put out by Jennie-O.

By Marilyn. (Guest Post)

I buy them especially to make "Swiss Steak" and my husband (who usually hates turkey patties) thinks he's getting an artery closing treat, LOL!
I "fry" them in a pan sprayed with PAM. When they are almost done I add chopped onions and peppers (frozen pepper stir fry vegetables, for simplicity) - about 1-2 cups. I cook this until the vegetables are cooked then pour a jar of fat free brown gravy over it and heat until bubbly.
I serve this with mashed potatoes and use the gravy on the potatoes and the meat.

I've found that this is one of those recipes that tastes even better the next day (in case you have any leftovers).

Ground up, you could use them in taco's, to replace the burger meat. Good Luck

I use this easy recipe for chicken breasts, but it would probably do well for the turkey breast patties as well. Pour italian salad dressing in a bowl and put bread crumbs in another. Dip the thawed turkey breast in the dressing, then in the bread crumbs. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake till done. When I do the chicken breasts, they are raw. I bake them at 350 for about 20-30 minutes. It may take less time if the breasts are already cooked.

Use strong flavors and seasonings - no other suggestions.
If you read the package label it probably says that natural flavors were added. I always figure this means MSG.

By Sarah (Guest Post)

I use nothing but turkey burger in my red spaghetti sauces. It's cheaper (at least at my grocery store) and lower fat than ground beef, and when it's crumbled up and disguised in tomato sauce, veggies and italian seasonings, you really can't tell the difference!

By (Guest Post)

I always use ground turkey to make tacos, and use 1 lb turkey and 1 lb beef to make meatloaf. I use turkey always when I make chili, too. Gr turkey is bland but in highly seasoned food you can't tell.

We don't care for the taste of plain ground turkey meat, so we purchase the "seasoned ground turkey sausage" to make our burgers with or use in burger meals. It's much better than the plain.