Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

I drink a glass of wine every evening with my meal for my health. I've accumulated many wine bottles and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could use these empty bottles.

By Eth0301 from Warren, AR

Answers:

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

My brother used to collect pretty colored bottles and sit them on his window sills. The light would shine through them and made them look even better. (04/16/2009)

By vguy

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

Fill wine bottles with sand and turn bottles upside down and bury it half way into dirt (or put upside down bottles on to dowels) to line a garden bed. (04/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

Have you ever seen those fancy bottles of flavored olive oils in the gift shops, or in the deli section of grocery stores around Christmas time? They are really very easy to make and make great gifts. And right now is a good time to start them.

Just get a large quantity of olive oil, pour it into large jars, add some gloves of garlic, sprigs of your favorite herbs, cover and let sit for a while in a dark place. Whenever there is a gift occasion, strain some oil into a wine bottle, add some fresh cloves of garlic and a sprig or two of the fresh herbs, cork it and you have a great gift ready to go.

You could also add it to a gift food basket that includes packages of assorted pastas, cheeses, dell salamis, and a bottle of wine. You could also include some pour caps like you would see on the liquor bottles in a bar. Those work great on the bottles of flavored olive oils.

Enjoy the praise you will receive for such a special gift.

Pat T in Nevada

Editor's Note: Be very careful when flavoring olive oil with garlic or other food items. There is a very serious risk of botulism, which can be deadly. Commercial processors use techniques and preservatives that are not available for the home cook. Homemade flavored oil should be stored in the refrigerator and used within a week. Here is a ThriftyFun request on the subject.

thriftyfun.com (04/22/2009)

By patom

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

My mother puts the wine bottle upside down in her garden to capture water in the little dip on the bottom. This serves as a water reservoir for her butterflies. I thought she was crazy until I saw a butterfly on one last summer. You can also buy wicks attached to covers at most vineyards to turn your old wine bottle into a lantern using lamp oil. These are pretty. (04/22/2009)

By cschuess

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

My brother brought us a vase of flowers from the farmer's market and the vase was a wine bottle that had been painted with a flower design. If you have artistic talent you could paint vines or flowers and vines on the bottles. I've also seen bottles filled with marbles or sea glass and put in windows. They're beautiful. (04/22/2009)

By tennesue

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

You can use them as a retaining wall for a flower garden, too. (04/23/2009)

By kahlohe

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

I've got a few uses. Here's my #1 favorite to do with bottles. If you have access to a glass cutter, you can actually make your own vino glasses. They're fun and easy to do and can also be done with beer bottles, etc.

For the 750 ml bottles, simply draw a line (circular) just below the "neck" of the bottle, where the bottle begins to "flare". This piece will become the "stem" of your glass. You can place the body of the bottle in a vice to hold it steady, though make sure you cushion the vice ends with toweling or rags to avoid breakage.

Once in the vice, begin sawing through at the "flare" area. Once you've cut through, you'll have to sand to a very smooth edge where you've made your cut. Once the sanding is completed, attach the bottle top (flare side will be the base, bottle top and neck will be the "stem") to the bottom of the bottle using either glass fusing glue or any fusing method you prefer.

Make sure you wear safety glass while sawing the bottle to avoid any eye injury. (05/05/2009)

By Claudia1

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

Another great use for wine bottles is using them for bath salts that you make. You can purchase the plain, non scented salts at any craft store and add what ever fragrance you'd like to them. You can find the various fragrance oils needed at the craft store also.

Add a cute "stopper", place a ribbon around the bottle and you've got great and inexpensive gifts.

The salts and oil go a long way. Depending on the bottle size, you can make at least 10.

I've made these tons of times and love having them on hand for last minute gifts. (05/05/2009)

By Claudia1

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

Can you tell I'm a "bottle freak" with this 3rd post?

I too agree with not making an infused oil, though you can make an infused vinegar in the empty bottles very simply after first making 110% positive the bottles are clean and sanitized. A double "trip" through the dishwasher alone will do the trick.

First chose whether you want to use a simple white vinegar or the cider variety. Next place any fresh herb you'd like in a large container (not the bottles at this point) and pour your vinegar over the herbs, covering them completely. Store the container in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Once the time period is up, strain the liquid/herbs through cheesecloth, then add to bottles. A quicker way is to bring the vinegar to a simmer before pouring over herbs. It'll help bring out a deeper "flavor".

You must keep both mixtures refrigerated, even after transferring to the bottles. The vinegars are great used alone, with a dipping oil, as a dressing on grilled veggies. The uses are endless. (05/05/2009)

By Claudia1

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

A number of years ago after the Christmas holiday season, we had many empty various colored wine bottles in the basement. My wife asked me to put them in the garbage. I thought that would be a waste and that there must be someway to convert these wine bottles into something useful.

After many experiments and failures, I finally found a way of crushing these bottles and creating beautiful pictures. If lighted from behind they are just like stained glass pictures. I have made many pictures this way. Thanks.

Don (05/14/2009)

By GOLDEE

Craft Uses For Empty Wine Bottles

Sponge paint them different colors and use them as vases. (07/04/2009)

By moonseekerjade

Craft Uses for Wine Bottles
Crafts Using Wine Bottles
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Three empty green wine bottles against white background
Empty Wine Bottle Gift Ideas
Empty Wine Bottles
Finding Empty Wine Bottles
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄