Painting Wine Bottles

Category Containers
You can create a lovely, repurposed decoration or vase by painting the inside or outside of a wine bottle. This is a guide about painting wine bottles.

I save all the wine bottles and paint them with decorative glass paint. I let them sit overnight. Then cure them in a 325 degree F oven for 35 minutes to make them permanent and dishwasher safe.

They make wonderful salad dressing bottles for hostess gifts. I put my favorite recipe on an attached card or sometimes fill the bottle with the dressing.

Homemade gifts are well received, fun to give, and fun to make. Plus, I feel I'm helping to save the environment. Decorative tops can usually be purchased at the dollar stores!

By Elaine D. from Niles, IL

Rela Ann1 found this helpful

The movie "Sideways" got you wine tasting, and even wine drinking... now what do you do with all those wine bottles that are starting to accumulate? Keep them - they are good for something. Take a look at what you can do with them with a little spray and brushstrokes.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Wash and dry wine bottle to make sure you have a clean surface, devoid of dust which prevents good adhesion.

2. Arrange the paper to protect your working area. (Do this outside where there is good ventilation.)

3. Place the wine bottle on top of the papers. Make sure it is flat.

4. Spray the bottle (Follow the spray can instructions.). Spray one layer around, wait for a while, then paint another layer. Do this a couple of times until all outside surfaces are covered evenly. Some areas needing attention: Bottle lid area - make sure it is also covered but beware of spraying too long here as too much will make the spray paint drip! Bottle bottom - that can be an easily-missed area specially if your paper is crumpled.

5. Let dry.

6. When dry, plan the design that will be painted on the bottle surface.

7. Implement design with textile or acrylic paint.

Any ideas on how to paint the inside of a clear wine bottle, so that the end product is a kilned colored piece of glass. My friend makes cheese boards out of wine bottles and my favorite wine bottle is clear! I need some help troubleshooting a technique and what brand paint to use. I have a Michael's craft store at my disposal.

Dede from Macon, MO

Answers

Best Answer

First make sure your wine bottle is clean. Pour a cup of plain water in it. Spray paint a color on top of water inside. Swish it around and pour water out slowly while turning it round & round to create a basic pattern. Let dry. If you want marbleized colors : then, pour water in again. Add two different colors (or more) sprayed into bottle. While swishing around, pour water slowly while turning. Dry, continue until you are pleased.Dry...Final is to pour some polyurethane in and turn bottle all different ways to cover all paint. Let stand a day or two drying time. Will now be waterproof! Have made many, beautiful craft!