Crafts Made With Gourds

Because of their interesting and unique shapes, gourds are excellent for use in a wide variety of crafts. This is a guide about crafts made with gourds.

June 7, 2009 Flag

One of the many gourds I have done. This features a large kettle gourd, cut open. The opening has been coiled with long SC pine needles. The process is actually a weaving technique, and adds a nice touch to many gourds.

The gourd has been hand painted with a snowy owl on the front. This is one of my signature pieces. All are numbered and dated.

By ilovegourds from Cheraw, SC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 12 Comments

June 30, 2009 Flag

Introducing "Sprouts", I just love these little people (gourds.) They are the perfect baby shower gift. I do personalize them with the date, weight, and name of the newborn baby.

I take a baby doll and insert in inside of the gourd. Wood burned cracks are done to simulate a cracked egg where the arms and legs come through.

Enjoy!

By ilovegourds from Cheraw, SC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

July 1, 2008 Flag

Things you will need are a small, medium, or large gourd, depending on how big you want her to be. Make sure you wash the gourd with warm soapy water and rinse clean. Let set and dry at least 30 - 45 minutes.

Do all of your painting and let dry before you put your witch together.

While you are waiting get together your materials you will be using.

Materials

Instructions

1. Paint the pot and face on the gourd. Let dry
  2. Cut the Styrofoam for the arms to match the size of the pot and head. You don't want it to look out of proportion (lol), and the same with the her legs and feet which is all one piece, then paint.
  3. Cut the black material for her cape (make a small band at the top of it and thread a black string through it and tie it on the neck.
  4. Connect the legs to the pot, attach a piece of wire hanger across the hole in the bottom of the pot, then bend the leg wire in half over the cross wire. Now attach the legs to the wire by putting a little adhesive on the top of the legs where you are going to push the wire into the middle of the length of the legs.

Enjoy your crafty witch.

By Crafty Billie from Stockton, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

January 18, 2012 Flag

I am looking for images to paint on gourds for the flower bed. Does anyone have some ideas? Some of the shapes I have are bottle gourds, warty gourds, and swans. Thank you.

By pg

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you considered hollowing at least 1 out of the bottleneck ones and putting flowers in them and hanging on a railing, fence or low tree branch? You have to put water in it just like a regular vase. These are very nice and I saw it in one of the magazines online. Just thought I'd throw that one out there. If you don't want to paint them all, you could also put little leaf, acorn, pumpkin and flower stickers on them. They have all kinds plastic, paper and felt ones at most craft stores and Dollar Tree too. Check out BHG.com for painting and craft ideas. Anyway, have fun crafting and Happy Autumn! : D

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

August 5, 2009 Flag

Ho..Ho..Ho! Santa Gourd. He is just the cutest gourd I have ever painted for the holidays. He makes a great centerpiece for a holiday table. Enjoy!

By ilovegourds

Santa Gourd

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

July 7, 2009 Flag

This is a half gourd, and painted in a primitive scene I call "Penny Rug Welcome". This particular design has been painted on many sizes of gourds, as it is one of a very popular request of folks. The piece measures approximately 9 inches across.

Enjoy!

By ilovegourds from Cheraw, SC

Penny Rug Welcome Gourd

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts NatureOctober 14, 2012
Ornamental Gourds
Preserving Ornamental Gourds
Snowman Gourds
Making Snowman Gourds
Growing Gourds
Growing Gourds
Crafts using gourds
Crafts Using Gourds
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:13:58 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.