Crafts Using Gourds

Category Nature
Gourds are great to use for craft projects, there are so many possibilities. This is a page about crafts using gourds.

I saved the gourds from my garden and hot glued them to an old vine wreath and added some ribbon and a poem. November Blessings to you all!

gourd wreath on door

The kids are always asking us to buy those funky decorative gourds at the grocery store in the fall. I usually say no, but last year I gave in and let them each pick one. They were initially annoyed that I wouldn't let them try to carve them, but I challenged them to find a different way to decorate them.

I was happily surprised at the end result. They used construction paper, as well as a few items that they had in their rooms. They turned out really well and lasted a long time since the kids just used tape to adhere everything, leaving the skin intact.

I enjoy raising and decorating gourds. The one here is one of my favorites. It only required tan leather dye, a skill saw with a fine blade and a drill and bit along with a little sandpaper and leather lacing.

gourd with handle

Scrub the gourd good and let dry about 45 minutes. Paint on face and hair and let dry about 15 minutes.

Gourd painted and decorated to look like Betty Boop.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The little farmers are gourds, painted in the colors you want. You can get both straw hats or you can crochet them, which ever you like.

Gourds painted to look like farmers.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

1 clean round gourd, glue, cotton balls or cotton fiber fill of any color, 1 large Christmas bell, acrylic paint, acrylic sealer, spray at least 2 times for good coverage.

A snowman gourd ornament.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Gourds from your garden can make cute crafts. I used doll hair and regular acrylic paint for my "Breast Cancer Buddy". My daughter, Eryn, came up with the film canister idea for a craft show.

Green gourd person

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am a crafter wanna be but have a lack of imagination, so I need pictures of other peoples crafts to get me started. I have a lot of old barn wood and can't get any ideas on what to do with it. The same with gourds as I find I am not the greatest painter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Paulette

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I've seen the old barn wood used as a stand up country santa. I think it was nailed to a flat square base. Because it's country, it doesn't have to be "perfect".

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

A good craft for old barn wood is to make an "old-fashioned" sign. We decorated our bedroom in a cabin theme with black bears and pine trees. My husband plans to make a "Do Not Feed the Bears" sign burning the letters on. Black paint would work too. A cute bathroom sign could be: "Baths - 5 cents". You could paint the family sir name and hang it on the front of the house by the door. Or paint your house numbers.

Paulette, if you will email me at fmnfkn @ aol.com(remove spaces) I can give you some information on gourds and where to look at lots of them.

By Dede Payne (Guest Post)

I have not tried this with Gourds, but could a stencil of some kind be put on them? Or trace a picture onto it and paint it that way. I am not artistic either so thought this might be a solution for you. Good Luck.

By Pattie (Guest Post)

For the old barn wood it makes nice picture frames or frames for mirrors. My sister in law does glass etching on mirrors and uses old barn wood for framing the mirrors when she is done for the rustic look.

try looking at www.craftster.org - they have some great ideas for lots of different kinds of crafts, and new ones are coming in all the time ^_^

By Staceyy (Guest Post)

Last week in our local paper I saw an article about a woman who was making purses out of gourds. They were cute and had straps on them.

Any ideas for setting up a nice space for crafting. I have so many projects I want to do, when you have to put it all away after to use the kitchen table or where ever then it's hard to start up again. I have a large table set up in my basement with room for the sewing machine and all. I'd like it make it nice so I want to be there.

I like all sorts of crafting, sewing, painting, etc. Any ideas or pictures of someone else's space so I can make it user friendly and a fun place to be would be great. My parrot and rabbit share this room so I will get to spend time with them also. So what ever is on the floor must be safe for them and also the bunny loves to chew.
thanks, Val

By Starr (Guest Post)

I recently bought some gourds from Michaels, I made birdhouses out of them for Christmas gifts . I can not paint either so I bought some "rub on stencils" (went on very easily) then sprayed polyurtherine on it to seal. I must say they turned out beautiful and everyone that has seen them thought I painted it on.

Anonymous

I will take your barn wood if you still have it. I have uses for it.

Does anyone grow gourds? I am looking for some kettle gourds or other large type gourds. I paint and craft these and I am running out of my favorites. I have plenty of the apple gourds and others that I paint. I love to make birdhouses as well as other crafts from gourd. Please contact me if you have any gourds!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Kathy from Beattyville, KY

Editors Note: Here is a ThriftyFun article if you would like to know more about growing gourds yourself:

Answers

Just the other day someone submitted a post about growing your own gourds.

I just did a search on thriftyfun and found this information.

www.thriftyfun.com/search.ldml?q=growing+gourds&act...

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

We do a lot of painted gourds. We sell quite a few. We grew these gourds and then cleaned and painted them.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

This plant holder is made out of a gourd. I used jute for the hanger and put a few macrame knots in it with some wooden beads. I cut the top out of a gourd (that I grew), and it cracked so I put a leather lace in it to keep it from cracking more. I sprayed with a sealer. The flower is a Mandevilla red velvet, and has just started blooming.

By Fran

Gourd planter

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Crafts NatureSeptember 12, 2012
😎
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crafts-Using-Gourds-1.html