Crafts Using Melted Plastic Bottles And Lids

This is a way to use any type of plastic stuff: bottle lids, shampoo lids, prescription bottles, aerosol lids, any type of plastic. You take a cookie sheet and line it with foil. Turn your oven on to 450-500 dergees F. You line up the plastic you want to melt. Put some on their sides or stack a larger one on a smaller one. Put in the oven.

Keep a close eye on them. When they start to melt, they get in different shapes. Don't let them melt to just a flat blob. While the plastic is still hot and semi-molten, you can embed different things in the plastic (small toys, buttons, beads, odd metal pieces) or you can put pieces of crayon or glitter in them.

I keep a baby wipe box marked "Pirate Treasure" filled with these things. Kids love to look through them or hide and find them. Once my nephew was visiting and I had him melt an orange lid with a smaller one of blue kind off to the side. While it was hot, he stuck a plastic dinasaur in the orange. It made a small diaorama. He put metal loop off the side. This made a neat keyring. When it was cool, I added some glitter nail polish on the blue so it looked like waves. I wish I had a picture of it. It looked like the dinasaur was on a beach by the water.

Sometimes if the item won't stay in the melted plastic, you can use a spoon to bring the plastic up over the item to hold it in. Of course this is done with adult supervision. The hot things can be placed in water to cool faster. While I used a regular over, a toaster oven might work better.

By Nightsong from Hay Capitol of the World

Editor's Note: Be sure that you use proper ventilation when melting plastic as it may create harmful fumes.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pile of Plastic Water Bottles
Crafts Made with Plastic Bottles
Crafts Recycled Crafts ContainersJuly 16, 2012
Crafts Using FrozenJuice Concentrate Lids
Crafts Using Frozen Juice Concentrate Lids
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:25:56 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 632 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.