ColoringHair Tips

DIY Temporary Ombre Hair

Vote for this contest contender!

I love to change the colour of my hair very often. To keep it super cheap (and fun) I do it myself at home. The trick is to skip on the $10-per-colour temporary hair chalks and use a $5 case of soft pastels from a craft store and have unlimited colors! This huge set was actually on sale at Michaels for $3 so it's been extra fun to change my hair colour more frequently, and also use more than one colour at a time. Here are some tips to get both light coloured hair and dark coloured hair to pop with soft pastels and get a nice smooth ombre look.

*Water alone can be used for a soft look and hairspray can be used for a bold look. Gloves are optional-- it can get messy if you do your whole head :)

Total Time: 20 minutes

1. For a soft touch of colour, section off a piece of your hair to be coloured. Spritz with water.
  2. Grab a soft pastel and drag it downward on your hair. Do not rub it back up your strand of hair, just down, several times over.
  3. Ad

4. You can also spritz water on the pastel then apply to your hair.
  5. For an ombre look, grab a similar colour to the first one and drag down the ends of your hair.
  6. Ad

7. If you want a super drastic pop of colour, or have naturally dark hair like I do, apply hairspray on your hair then immediately drag the pastels down.
  8. Once you've got your desired colour, go over your strands with a flat iron or curling iron to lock it in. This makes it last longer.
  9. Ad