Toning Down Dyed Hair

Category Coloring
If the dyed color of your hair is stronger than you expected, you may want to adjust it. This guide is about toning down dyed hair.

I dyed my hair in the beginning of this month, and I wanna know how long will it take to fade all the way out, or to start fading? Is there any way I can make it start fading myself?

Answers

Best Answer

Wash your hair everyday with a clarifying shampoo, or any shampoo that is not for colored hair.

I recently dyed my hair on my own at home and I want it to be somewhat more lighter then it is now. Does anyone know if I went to a salon if they would be able to make it lighter although I just dyed it a few days ago?

By Anna from MO

Answers

Best Answer

You may not know that you can request a consultation with a hair stylist. If you do not know a stylist, a good salon is the best place to start. The stylist will evaluate your hair's current condition and recommend alternatives for you to consider.

The stylist may require payment for the service but it would be worth having a trained and qualified specialist's recommendations.

I dyed my hair and it turned out too red. How can I tone it down without doing too much damage to my hair?

By marion from Sioux Lookout, Ontario

Answers

Best Answer

Prell or dandruff shampoo will assist color fading faster. Take some Prell shampoo and apply it throughout out your hair, leave it on for 45 minutes, then rinse it out with warm water. Use a conditioner after you're done rinsing the shampoo out.

Here's another tip: Hot oil treatments will also help to strip chemically.

I dyed my hair permanent black and it's too dark. I want to dye it to dark brown. What can I do?

Answers

Best Answer

You cannot apply brown hair color to hair previously colored black and get a brown shade. There are warm tones underneath the black tint. You can lift just enough of the black tint to make these warm tones more apparent.

This can be done at home in as little as half an hour and without a lot of expense. All that is required is a professional hair color remover diluted to half the regular strength and left on the hair for half the usual time. There are two musts. You must familiarize yourself with proper usage of the color remover and you absolutely must do a strand test first! Only a strand test will tell you the exact amount of time required to achieve the desired results.

I had my hair dyed yesterday at the salon and it's not the exact color I want. Right now it's a darker burgundy/red with a more violet tone in it I believe she said. I want it a lot lighter/brighter red than it is because I feel like it doesn't look so red and only mostly in certain lights and I don't want it to be like that. And I dont want it to look orangy!

Is there anything at home I that I can do to fix it today? like go buy a box of bright red dye and dye it? The top half of my head was my natural color (light brown). I hadn't dyed that part in almost two years and the bottom half of my hair was bleached blonde (ombré look) that I had done in like April. The bottom half of the color she did I don't like at all and the color she put in on top she didn't lighten it at all or bleach it and just put the burgundy/red in.

I didn't really want to wait a month for it to get fixed yet I also didn't wanna try and fix myself because I know red is tricky to deal with. If I am able to fix it tonight then I would like to. I also don't want to go back to salon because I don't have time and I don't want to offend the lady. Any tips/ideas on what to do? I added a picture of how I want my hair to look and I also did a before and after.

Answers

Best Answer

First, I would use a color remover to remove your color. Then go ahead and put the red on for 30 to 45 minutes.

I had my hair bleached with stage 7 powder and then she put a copper color rinse on top. It turned out rather red. Can I use another rinse on top of the copper to changer my color to a darker look. Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

You have just paid a lot of money to the hairdresser to bleach and dye your hair. If you're not satisfied with the result you need to go back. She will need to fix your hair for you. I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself. Talk to her and have her put a darker color on your hair and make sure you are satisfied before you leave the shop this time.

My natural hair color is a dark blonde/light brown color, kind of like an ash brown color. I have been dyeing it darker shades of brown for a couple of years now and I decided to start the process of lightening it. Now it is a lighter brown with blonde highlights, but it has been 5 months since I last had this color done. With this, I have just been letting my hair grow out since you can't tell how far the roots have grown.

Anyway, I recently (a day ago) used a semi permanent hair dye that is a bright fuchsia color on the ends of my hair, going 3-5 inches up my hair. The bottle says that it will wash out between 6-8 washes/6-8 days, but I want to take it back to a more natural looking color. I have already washed it 2-3 times and the color is still very bright, and hasn't faded much at all. Could I use a color remover on my hair, like Color Oops Remover, and then use a boxed dye over that to make my hair look a more natural color, not my exact natural, but a natural color over the semi permanent color? I'm thinking a light to medium brown color to put over this because a dark, dark brown or black does not look good on me, and I don't think a darker blonde would do well over the color remover. So, would the Color Oops Remover work, and would the light to medium brown color work on top of the remover?

Answers

Best Answer

The answers you receive here are not from a professional. We can only give you advice in this.

1. The semi hair dye color you have used normally takes 6 to 8 weeks to wash out of your hair.
  2. I would try to use the color oops on the hair to remove the color.
  3. However, if you use baking soda mixed with an anti-dandruff shampoo and wash your hair with this for a few days it is safer and less dangerous on your hair.
  4. You can also try mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water together and applying this to your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse your hair.
  5. Both of these methods will remove the color out of your hair and are less dangerous for your hair than dying it again.
  6. I would just try and get the color out of the ends of your hair. Work on this for 2 to 3 days until you can get it out.
  7. Then see if you actually want to dye your hair again. It sounds like you'd like to go back to your natural color and stop dying your hair. This is a great choice and I personally wouldn't dye it again.

I know they say to only ever go one or two shades lighter/darker, but I was stupid and wanted dark brown hair. However the store bought hair dye turned out to be practically black! I haven't dyed it for a good 6 months and my roots aren't really showing and the colour is still dark.

So I used Colour B4 which is a hair dye remover. When I first did it, I loved it. It was a nice dark auburn and at least 2 shades lighter than it was. But now a week later it's gone dark again. I have read all about vitamin C tablets mixed with anti-dandruff shampoo to lighten it, so unless there are any better home remedies I will try that.

The box of hair dye remover was 12 pounds a box and I don't want to do it again just to waste 12 pounds. Please help. I do not want to bleach it because I love my luscious wavy thick hair which I am surprised I still have because of all the dying I have done before.

By EmaN

Answers

Best Answer

I would go to a professional hair stylist for that one!

How do I tone down red hair dye? I have gone for a different dye, as my usual one wasn't stocked. Now it is too bright and looks gingery.

By lisa from England

Answers

Best Answer

I always used a medium to dark Auburn, but accidentally purchased light auburn which came out bright Red (At least to me it was too bright). I called Clairol, explained exactly what I used and she suggested a fix for me. Call them or the number on the box of the hair dye you used. They were really helpful.

I colored my hair this evening a "dark blond" by Clairol. I usually use Loreal champagne blond-(cool color). The Clairol dye has left a red tint. I need to get it out! Please help.

Answers

Call the Clairol number on the box. They have experts who can help you.

I have dark dyed hair and about 4 inches of very light regrowth. What can I use to bleach the dark ends? My hair hasn't been dyed in several months and it's only 2 strips underneath that need bleaching. My hair is not dry or damaged looking. Any suggestions?

Answers

Instead of bleaching it, I would use color stripper for hair.

I have been experimenting with the DIY boxed hair colors. I did the 5.29 red Schwarzkopf color and loved it! But I wanted a little more red to show so I went big and got the Splat raspberry red, which I should've known was going to come out crazy red. But I did it, it required me to bleach before coloring. Now my hair is like super bright, almost hot pink red! How do I tone it like way down to a nice dark red, without having to go to a salon? Please help!

Answers

Call the phone number on the box. They have trained people to help you.

I recently colored my gray hair with Just For Men and it came out a little too dark. What is the simplest way to now lighten it a little?

By Bob

Answers

Try washing your hair with dishwashing detergent such as Dawn. This will make your hair dry, so condition it after. I have not tried this, as I do not color my hair, but I have a friend who does and says this works.

Most home hair color dye jobs will lighten up after several good washings. If it's a little too dark just shampoo frequently. I've heard it recommended to use Prell or a dandruff shampoo for this.

Sit outside in the sun and you will be beautiful light highlights on the top. People will think you paid big bucks $$$ to get your hair done!

It will wash out in time. Use a harsh shampoo like head and shoulders.

I suspect that frequent shampooing will soften up the color. It does with the colors I use, and I suspect it will with the Just for Men formula as well. I agree with OliveOyl, a dandruff shampoo will likely fade the color faster.

When I want to lift color I use Neutrogena shampoo. It takes off extra hair conditioner etc. so it works good to remove extra color. Just use it once or twice. It is more gentle on the hair so it won't affect the hair texture or make it dry or straw like. A little goes a long way and it will last a long time for you. Good luck. Linda

Use a clarifying shampoo like Paul Mitchell 3 ( you can find it in small sample or travel size bottles at Ulta) It will take some of the color out. Or you can use 20 volume peroxide comb it through your hair and sit in the sun for about 15 to 20 minutes and shampoo it and some of the color out. You can also mix the peroxide with shampoo and let it sit on your hair for 5 or 10 minutes and then shampoo as usual. Make sure you use a good conditioner afterwards. Hope this helps you!

I have recently dyed my hair using Manic Panic fuschia shock, it has come out really, really bright and I'm just wanting to tone it down. I was thinking of using a very diluted semi permanant brown over top. Would this work? Or would it be a disaster?

I recently used an auburn hair dye on my bleach blond hair and it came out a bright orange colour. I want a more brown-orange colour, but I'm afraid that I will completely lose the orange if I use a brunette colour on top of it. What can I do to achieve the medium auburn colour I desire without going to the salon?

So I dyed my hair from a box to what was suppose to be a medium brown color and it turned out dark brown with a reddish tint. I hated it, so I went and bought that Oops stuff that strips hair dye. It stripped it to an orange medium brown color so I went and got a light medium brown hair color to cover it. My hair came out jet black.

I tried many ways to lighten it at home like the Dawn dish soap and things like apple cider vinegar and it faded some, but not as much as I would've liked. I ended up going to the salon and getting what was suppose to be caramel balayge, but came out with like black hair with white streaks so she redid it and it came out closer to what I was wanting. Since then my highlights have faded some and are starting to go back to the super light whitish color that looks weird on top of my dark hair. I want my dark base to fade without making the balayge go super light too. Any suggestions on how to do so?

What can I do to fix my orange/yellow hair?

By Marge from Brandon, FL

I just dyed my hair a light caramel brown and it turned out red. My son is getting married next week and it cannot be this color. How can I get it darker?

I recently tried to dye my hair a dark auburn color and it just turned out dark with some red. I want to re dye my hair a lighter auburn. I found a home dye that is a hair lightener for dark hair. How long do I have to wait until I can use it?

By Ashley from CA

Answers

Things you'll need:
Original blue Dawn dish washing liquid

Step 1: Shampoo your hair with a small amount of Dawn. You will immediately see some of the hair dye being washed down the drain. Repeat if necessary and add a deep conditioner, as using dish washing liquid is a drying method of lightening hair.

Step 2: Mix a bit of Dawn into your regular shampoo. It will fade your hair more gradually than straight Dawn will, but it will be gentler on your hair.

Step 3: Try a clarifying shampoo mixed with some Dawn dish washing liquid. These shampoos are designed to remove styling product build-up from your hair and restore it to a healthy shine. When you mix Dawn into it, you will wash out some of the extra color and get a lightening effect.

Step 4: Saturate your hair with Dawn evenly when you use it to lighten hair that has been dyed too dark. Distribute the dish washing liquid throughout your hair to ensure that it lightens all of your hair evenly. Otherwise, you could get a patchy look to your color.

Step 5: Use Prell shampoo for a similar effect if you don't have any Dawn on hand or cannot find it at the store. Professional colorists even recommend Prell and Dawn to rinse extra color from your hair and lighten it to a more suitable shade.

Step 6: Add baking soda to the Dawn when lightening your hair. The gritty baking soda acts as a scouring agent and scrubs your hair. Be aware that this is very drying and could potentially damage your hair, so go easy.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Anonymous

Wait a day or two after all the shampoo stripping to allow the cuticle layer of the hair shaft to close back down (or even after coloring in the first place) before coloring again otherwise you could end up right back where you started from with too dark of a color. When the cuticle layer is open the inner hair shaft reacts like a sponge. Also, you might want to choose at least one shade lighter (two would be better) than what you're hoping for because it's going to be 'color on/over color'.

Will Oops restore my old shade after I applied too much Glam highlights from L O'real?
Thank you for your help.

My hair is naturally almost black with gray mixed in. I wanted a dark blond to tone down the gray. It turned out dark with a red hue to it. I used a dark blond color, I'm wondering if I highlight my hair using an ash blond will it tone down the red and lighten my hair.

I dyed my hair a reddish brown and it turned out more red. How can I lighten it so it's not as red? My natural color is blonde.

By Summer

Load More