Fixing Hair Dye That is Too Dark

I had my hair dyed yesterday at the salon and it's not the exact color I want. Right now it's a darker burgundy/red with a more violet tone in it I believe she said. I want it a lot lighter/brighter red than it is because I feel like it doesn't look so red and only mostly in certain lights and I don't want it to be like that. And I dont want it to look orangy!

Is there anything at home I that I can do to fix it today? like go buy a box of bright red dye and dye it? The top half of my head was my natural color (light brown). I hadn't dyed that part in almost two years and the bottom half of my hair was bleached blonde (ombré look) that I had done in like April. The bottom half of the color she did I don't like at all and the color she put in on top she didn't lighten it at all or bleach it and just put the burgundy/red in.

I didn't really want to wait a month for it to get fixed yet I also didn't wanna try and fix myself because I know red is tricky to deal with. If I am able to fix it tonight then I would like to. I also don't want to go back to salon because I don't have time and I don't want to offend the lady. Any tips/ideas on what to do? I added a picture of how I want my hair to look and I also did a before and after.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Anonymous

Wash it with cheap shampoo multiple times a night. Each time you wash it more of the color will wash out.

It takes about two weeks to remove the excess dye left when coloring your hair. At least that has been my experience with Red hair dye. Good luck!

Anonymous

Wash it with cheap shampoo multiple times a night. Each time you wash it more of the color will wash out. It takes about two weeks to remove the excess dye left when coloring your hair. At least that has been my experience with Red hair dye. Good luck!

Since you did it at a salon, I would go back and ask the owner to fix it. If you do it yourself, they may not fix it.

Yes, have the salon fix it before you touch it.. they will honour that it did not come out the way you wanted.

First, I would use a color remover to remove your color. Then go ahead and put the red on for 30 to 45 minutes.