Letting Gray Hair Grow Out

Category Coloring
Some women, after dying their hair for years decide to go natural. This is a page about letting your gray hair grow out and contains advice for removing or augmenting the existing hair dye to achieve a more balanced look.

I've been coloring my grey hair. Now, with 1 inch grey showing, I want to remove the brown and go grey. What is the best way to remove the brown?

By Carolyno from Vancouver, WA

Answers

Best Answer

I would suggest heavily highlighting your colored hair, or you could go with a lighter color just where your hair is colored that will blend more with the grey so you won't see the lines of demarcation as much. The fastest and easiest way is just get a short haircut that will remove as much of the colored hair as possible.

Best Answer

Don't try this yourself. Go to a hairdresser and have them strip the color from your hair. It will then be a nasty shade of pale. Then have her color your hair grey. It will look lovely and grow out naturally. It will cost something but will be worth it in the end.

Best Answer

When I wanted to go from tinted to natural I got a real curly perm, so the curls hid the roots. Then as soon as it was long enough, I had my stylist cut my hair real short so only the natural color was left.

I did it over the summer and it was a shock to my students when school started up in the fall, but it was the easiest, cheapest way to go natural.

My hair is gray and I color it medium blonde. I'm in the process of letting it grow out gray. How can I make it look better until it's grown out?

By Linda from Jackson, TN

Answers

Best Answer

Hi, Linda!
Try a temporary color. They last about 6 weeks and fade over time. You have to go a little darker and it covers your blonde and your gray. Continue coloring it every 4 weeks or so. Once the blonde has been cut off, you can let the darker, temporary color fade away to your beautiful, natural color!

Best Answer

My beautician suggested I go to a lighter color each time I DO color my hair. Non-permanent works best, until I get to the lightest I can go and the gray blends in. Not there yet!

I colored my hair a beautiful silver. But now, of course, I'm getting regular grey grow out. I don't want to keep coloring it silver. I want to let gray grow out and blend in with the silver; no more coloring. What is the best way? Thanks.

Answers

It is a painful process to grown out hair. You are just going to have to be patient. Hair grows about 1/2 inch a month.

What type of dye was the silver? If it was semi permanent, it will blend out nicely. If it was permanent, you could do a semi permanent silver at the roots and eventually it will blend nicely as it grows out.

Your other options would be to strip out the silver and just go with the grey, or to go old school and frost your hair.

I'm a young 70, and though my hair has some amount of gray, I feel better with a chocolate (Redkin) hair color with gray lowlights. I'd like to sample how my complexion would look with total silver gray or white.

After all, it might be really nice! Can anyone suggest a way I can do this?

Answers

This site can do that:

www.matrix.com/virtual-hair-color-try-on

The very easiest way to do this is to go into your nearest beauty salon that sells wigs and try some on. Nothing is better than seeing it in "person". I have taken several cancer patients to our local JC Penney's and have always been treated very nicely so I hope you can find one in your area. Of course, sometimes there is a purchase but not always. I like going to this type store as there is usually a little privacy and you are not sitting in an open area in full view of anyone in the shop.

I say beauty salons in department stores because a wig only store may have people who make a living on salary and commission and since I know that I would not be buying a wig, I feel it is wrong to take up their time.

Google - department store beauty salon with your zip code and make some calls to find out who also has wigs. Most of them do - Macy's, Dillard's, Belk's (?), etc.

Hi there! Upload your photo to this site and try on some colours and styles:

www.taaz.com/virtual-makeover

I have dark brown hair. I've been dyeing my hair this color since I was 27 and it has started to get gray hair. I am 48 and I'm just tired of fighting gray. What would be the best way to get my gray to just take over?

Do I dye it again and if I did how long will the color last? I really don't want to dye my hair again I want it to just stay gray.

Answers

It'd be quite pretty if you fought it with a box of silver, then let your natural dark brown hair grow through and give it depth. I don't know, it's just kind of the "cool" thing right now! ;)

You will have to bite the bullet and let it grow out. It grows about a half inch a month. Keep in mind the gray hair will be coarser and more wiry than your colored hair.

You can't dye (tint) over tinted hair to make it lighter, or grey. The tint has to be removed. Ask your local beauty shop for advise. Many years ago there was no product on the market to do this, it could only be done professionally. One other suggestion would be to buy a harsh shampoo that fades the color, and cut your hair very short to let it grow out.

In that case, just stop dying your hair and let it grow out naturally. The hair dye will fade out and the natural color will start to come through. You can just leave it like this or you can go to a stylist and see if they can add some gray highlights to your hair now to make it look a bit nicer and bring out the color.