Allowing Hair to Go Gray

I have dark brown hair. I've been dyeing my hair this color since I was 27 and it has started to get gray hair. I am 48 and I'm just tired of fighting gray. What would be the best way to get my gray to just take over? Do I dye it again and if I did how long will the color last? I really don't want to dye my hair again I want it to just stay gray.

It'd be quite pretty if you fought it with a box of silver, then let your natural dark brown hair grow through and give it depth. I don't know, it's just kind of the "cool" thing right now! ;)

You will have to bite the bullet and let it grow out. It grows about a half inch a month. Keep in mind the gray hair will be coarser and more wiry than your colored hair.

You can't dye (tint) over tinted hair to make it lighter, or grey. The tint has to be removed. Ask your local beauty shop for advise. Many years ago there was no product on the market to do this, it could only be done professionally.

One other suggestion would be to buy a harsh shampoo that fades the color, and cut your hair very short to let it grow out.

In that case, just stop dying your hair and let it grow out naturally. The hair dye will fade out and the natural color will start to come through. You can just leave it like this or you can go to a stylist and see if they can add some gray highlights to your hair now to make it look a bit nicer and bring out the color.