Dealing with Fine Hair

Category Tips
It can be very frustrating to detangle and style delicate fine hair. This is a guide about dealing with fine hair.

If you have fine, tangly hair of any length, keep a comb in the shower, and when you put conditioner on it after shampooing, comb it out, and voila, no more tangles.

By Sandy from Tallahassee, FL

After more than fifty years of messing around with products I have persevered and grown my hair long enough to wear it up. There are many variations available and I change the look each day depending on the condition of my hair. So, cleaning and cutting is the key, even for long hair. I get the ends trimmed twice a year.

Washing almost every day, Head and Shoulders close to the scalp, the original formula. Massage into scalp but just rinse through the shaft of hair. No conditioners, none. No other products. I usually blow dry the front but put the rest into a pony tail or whatever. Thin hair takes no time to dry.

My tricky tip is, put body oil on your hands, lightly wipe on a towel, then run your palms over the front and side hair very quickly and gently. This controls the wisps, while the rest of the hair is untainted and therefore at its lightest and thickest.

A man touching his hair.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

You can improve your hair's thickness by using shampoo for thinning hair, taking vitamins or by improving your diet. This guide contains tips on how to get thicker hair.

A woman blowdrying her thin and fine brown hair.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about adding volume to thin or fine hair. When hair is fine or thin you may find ways to style it or some hair products to make it look fuller.

My Grandmother used to make her own hairpieces. She'd brush her long hair every night before bed and again each morning. She'd take her hair out of hairbrush every day and put it in a safe place. When she had enough to work with, she'd fix it into a bun.

In the morning, all she'd have to do would be to brush her hair up and pin on this bun. It was so real looking and she always got so many comments on her hair. Not too many people knew mine and Grandma's secret!

By Terri

If I am not mistaken they used to call these "rats". Unless your hair is really LONG it would only be good to drape hair AROUND to support a bun. But I suppose it's a good idea for thinning hair.

I've had fine hair my whole life, but it's still unmanageable. Magazines always say fine hair has its pluses, then show some horrible looking hairdos! I have a round face and am tall, so pixie styles don't really work for me. I'm interested in any suggestions - hair products, hair styles, clever strategies, etc. - especially if they come from others with fine hair! I don't need to have the "natural look" - those suggestions for taking advantage of your hair's natural properties always seem to come from women who were born with great hair. My hair is dark brown and permed.

Thanks!!

Simone from Maryland

Answers:

Dealing With Fine Hair

Have you experimented with all the new products for hair out there? They are really amazing! I would try everything that promised body and use several together. You might even think about extensions/hairpieces to give your hair fullness. I use a fake hair scrunchie hairpiece when I put my hair up in the summer. (07/02/2007)

By pamphyila

Dealing With Fine Hair

A blunt cut is supposed to make fine hair more manageable. Also, have you ever thought of dyeing your hair? Dye, especially permanent dye, makes hair thicker and stiffer. (07/02/2007)

By perfume and powder

Dealing With Fine Hair

I would suggest going to a salon where they know what to do with fine hair.Go in and just say you are looking around and find a stylist with fine hair. She will know what to do for you. Also the Bed head product called Queen for a Day is wonderful on fine hair. You will need a style with some fullness through your temples. Good luck (07/09/2007)

By net

Dealing With Fine Hair

Coloring your hair will not make it thicker, it changes the hair structure, therefore more manageable. You need to find a stylist that will point cut some layers. Try drying your hair up side down. You may had some product build up on it that can make it unmanageable.also. Here is a web site to look at styles. Make sure you find your face shape and print off some pictures before you go to get it cut. Some salons do have a consultation service.

http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/
(07/09/2007)

By net

Dealing With Fine Hair

Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon applied to dry hair. Main ingredient is avocado oil. I just lightly whiff some through my hair with fingertips, a toenail-clipping size amount again and again until it shines and behaves. Have relied on it for years. Also I only wash my hair with conditioner, no shampoo, it emulsifies away oil and dirt without the stripping effect of shampoo. How's that for a thrift tip? (07/09/2007)

By kimhis

Dealing With Fine Hair

I have baby fine hair. I dyed and and permed and was never happy. I finally gave up, let the color go natural (and found I had beautiful silver hair) and stopped perming. I found a hair dresser I loved. I wore the "pixie" for a while, but now I wear it just below-ear length and in a pageboy. I love it. I have very sensitive skin so I have to watch the shampoos that I use. A light spray will sometimes add a little body, using a "shine" product will give your hair shine and a little body. Just be sure to not overdo it.

I have also read where people have used nothing but water on their hair for years and love the results. I haven't been brave enough to try that myself.

But basic to great hair is a great cut. Find a beautician you like and stay with him/her. Do not be afraid to leave to find a better one. If you see someone in a store whose hair style you like, go up to them and ask who their beautician is. That's the way I found mine. (07/09/2007)

By Noella

Dealing With Fine Hair

When you find out, let me know. I am 63 and am still trying to deal with fine hair, which I passed on to my son and my grand daughter who have the same problems. My grand daughter is trying everything to make her hair thick and long and wonderful. I keep telling her, It's not gonna happen. The quicker you accept it, the better."

Good Luck (07/10/2007)

Dealing With Fine Hair

I sympathize as I too have baby fine hair; I have a lot of hair, but the hair shafts are super fine. My hair is straight and will not hold a curl, perms are too harsh and will break my hair, coloring seems to change my hair's cuticle and makes it knot terribly, plus makes it hard to wash and comb out, no matter how much or what type of conditioner I use. And most products weigh my hair down rather than give it the lift it's supposed to. Anything with oil of any kind is a big NO-NO. My hair wicks oil and looks like a greasy mess. I find that the less I do to my hair the better. A great, precision cut is soooo important. I do not have money, yet pay $75.00 per cut. On the upside, I only need a cut about every 5 months. A precision cut will look good growing out. I've always been told to wear a sleek blunt-cut bob, but have had it layered and it looked and felt good too. I cannot tell you the number of hairdressers that I've tried. I even attended cosmotology school to learn what I could about my hair. People with average, 'normal' hair do not understand this problem. It's the cut. You simply cannot make our hair do what it doesn't want to do, and doesn't respond the way other individuals hair does. (07/10/2007)

By susanmajp

Dealing With Fine Hair

Aussie volumizing shampoo and conditioner works wonders. i have wisps for hair so it really helps. (07/19/2007)

By

Dealing With Fine Hair

Even some highlighting can add thickness to fine hair. I loved the old perms that use to make my hair very curly and thick.

I now just accept it and wear bangs and one length which makes it look thicker. (07/26/2007)

By Kali

Dealing With Fine Hair

There are a few tricks to volumise hair, one is to wash it with beer (no, I'm not joking). Another is to buy special volumising shampoos and conditioners, and also to get a layered or feathered cut. (10/05/2007)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Dealing With Fine Hair

I also have fine hair and not much of it. For me, it's best to keep my hair at shoulder length with a few layers on top and back. I have to keep highlighting my hair as it tends to damage the hair a bit and that helps give it volume. I use Big Sexy Hair by Michael O'Rourke, spray it on the roots then blow dry holding the sections straight up in the air, this gives it fluff then spray with Tresemme Ultra Fine mist, any other hair spray just seems to weigh down the hair. I don't use Volume shampoo as it also weighs down my hair. I Have not found a shampoo that does not eventually build up and I have given up looking for one, I use cheap Suave shampoo each day then wash with Ivory soap once a week to really clean the build up. When my hair was shorter, I used Ivory soap daily and it worked just fine. (10/06/2007)

By Country gal

Dealing With Fine Hair

I braid mine. 4 braids gives my hair lots and lots of body. The thicker the braid, the less the body but it helps a lot and it's a cheap way that my baby fine hair gets a little wave. (11/13/2007)

By Goldm00n

Dealing With Fine Hair

I am very young and I'm constantly getting frustrated with my thin fine hair. I love to have layers but I always find once I've slept on it after the hairdressers it always goes wispy and dull. I'd also love to dye it but will this make my hair fall out? And can anyone recommend shampoo/conditioner to thicken hair? (11/23/2008)

By Lacey

Dealing With Fine Hair

My best friend has really really thin hair. It's best not to layer it because it wont make your hair look any bigger/ fluffier. To be honest, it just look bad :S But if its blonde, dye it darker because the darker your hair, the thicker it looks. Also don't grow it long because you will get split ends really easily. The best way to have it cut is just below or above your shoulders :) Hope that helps. (09/19/2009)

By cuppy11cool