Adding Volume to Thin or Fine Hair

Category Thin Hair
This is a guide about adding volume to thin or fine hair. When hair is fine or thin you may find ways to style it or some hair products to make it look fuller.

My hair is very thin and fine. I am over 60 and past menopause, which I have heard can make your hair this way, although it has always been thin. What can I do to give my hair volume and control? I do not color, perm or blow dry. I use Shimmer Lights shampoo to highlight the silver but other than that my hair air dries with nothing else to damage it. Help!

beachlifer from Lincoln City, OR

Answers

Best Answer

Honey, I feel your pain! My hair has always been thin and fine and many people have told me how "lovely" it feels...so soft and silky. Right! No body, no curl, no volume, just lots of soft and silky. At least I HAVE hair! There was a time when I didn't. Back to the problem at hand: Like Deeli says, I think it would help to know a bit more about your hair. Since we don't maybe I can offer some "generic" advice.

I use Paul Mitchell styling lotion after shampooing and blow dry my hair leaning forward to get the most volume possible. When it's damp I change to a hot brush and finish styling. If I really want to add some oopmh I use hot rollers. I also don't color or perm. My husband doesn't like the feel of colored hair and I don't have good results with perms. I've found that too many additives only weigh my hair down instead of giving promised volume. I keep my hair shorter than shoulder length and don't try to make it do something it can't. Farrah has nothing to fear from me! See my profile.

Best Answer

Hi,
I owed a Wig Boutique for 8 Years and I saw lots of ladies with thinning Hair. I would recommend a few things that are natural like taking more B vitamins. A ( B Complex) is a natural relaxant. If you have had any stress in you life this can really help. We as women tend to be depleted of that.

Please check with you doctor first. Also if that does not help, as we get older our progesterone levels decrease and you many want to have a hormone level test done by you doctor to see if that might be the problem. There are many natural remedies for the hormones problem as well. With out taking hormones. It won't happen over night, But Learn about your body and you won't go wrong. If you need help in that department go to the library and check out some of ( Dr. Christine Northrop's Books on women's bodies, or the book (You the Owner's Manual).

Congratulations in advance and Good luck, learning more about you!

Best Answer

The truth is, the more damaged your hair is, the more "Texture" it has, which makes it feel thicker. This is why many women have their hair highlighted. It's because the bleaching makes their hair feel thicker. I have 4 suggestions for you:

1) So you don't loose any more hair: You can by (for about $12 for an 8 or 10 oz bottle) a products called "Polysorbate-80" at most health food stores in the hair care area. Polysorbate-80 is a food additive It's an emulsifier that makes liquids & oils blend together.

What Polysorbate-80 does is, it will remove any oils that are blocking your scalp's pores. You simply massage a bit on to your scalp & leave it there for 5 or 10 minutes right before you wash your hair like normal. They sell Polysorbate-80 under lots of fancy names for 10 times the price on TV etc.

2) Make sure you remove all traces of your conditioner, buy really rinsing your hair until it's clean!

3) Try to stay away with products with silicone, dimethicone (or other "cone" products) in them. These silicone & dimethicone products make your hair slippery & they tend to make your hair "droopier" & feel thinner.I swear by these products, but I have thick, frizzy, naturally curly hair! It's nearly impossible these days to find a product without Silicone or Dimethicone in it, but look for products that have as little as possible in them.

4) ---> Samy from Miami: SAMY is a hair care line sold at salons. But you can get it for half price on HSN (Home Shopping Network) & on their web page. His best product (for you) would be his "FAT hair 0-calories" line. The nice thing about this line is that it doesn't flake off & leave you with dandruff. You can put the mouse or hairspray (or most any of his products) in your hair then brush your hair out later in the day without it feeling sticky or stiff, & then reapply it later on that night, or the next morning. It leaves no residue.

Some people complain about the smell of the products, that's just because he's keeping them as natural as possible & he doesn't want to scent them because of people with allergies. Anyway, I think you should really give these products a try! & If you only want to try ONE product, I'd recommend a products called "Voluptuous". It thickens hair, & you can put it on dry or wet hair. You should also call HSN & see when he'll be back on HSN. He's really a kick & fun to watch, plus really informative as he teaches you about each of his product.

FAT HAIR 0-CALORIES:
http://beauty.h … 807&ocm=sekw

VOLUPTUOUS:
http://beauty.h … 807&ocm=sekw

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE PRICE DOWN, CHECK THIS OUT:
http://beauty.h … 669&ocm=sekw

ALL HSN SAMY PRODUCTS:
http://www.hsn. … e=&o=esearch

* I suggest you take the time to read the info about each product on the top 2 URLs. The great thing about HSN, you do have to pay for the original shipping to your home (it's about $6) but if you don't like any products THEY will pay for you to ship it back to them at no cost! If you're not happy FOR ANY REASON (even if you've use most of the product) you can send it back if it's within 30 days of receiving the order.

---> If you know someone who's sick, bedridden or in the hospital, here's a great gift that will make them feel a little better: SAMY sells a DRY SHAMPOO. His brand is unlike others. It won't make the hair white or powdery or leave a residue. It also removes cigarette smoke smell from the hair & it's also great for those in nursing homes! How many times have we been around people who smoke & we'd like to wash our hair to remove that nasty smell but didn't have time to shampoo & blow-dry our hair. This stuff fixes that problem & comes with a 30 day HSN guarantee to boot!

http://beauty.h … 928&ocm=sekw

Anonymous

Could you tell us what length your hair is and whether it's all one length or if it's layered a little or a lot ??? I am sure you'll receive lots of answers with a bit more detail :-)