Thinning Hair After a Hysterectomy

Category Hair Tips
This is a guide about thinning hair after hysterectomy. Hormonal changes after a hysterectomy can cause numerous side effects. One of those side effects can be hair thinning.

I am wondering if there is anything that I can take or use that will help my hair grow thicker or longer. Ever since my hysterectomy my hair has gotten thinner and has slowed down on its growth some. I would like my hair to be longer and thicker then it is. Thanks for any help that you can give.

Cathy from Grand Rapids, MI

Answers

Best Answer

After my hysterectomy my hair fell out in clumps, myt doctor did tests to check thyroid and other things but turned out to be hormone related. I couldn't take hormonereplacement due to increased risk of heart disease and breast cancer. I strted taking prenatal vitamins which seemed to help. I tried alot of natural things to help stabilize hormones but in the end I think just giving your body time to heal was the best answer.
I would check with doctor to rule out any other causes such as thyroid.

Best Answer

There is one thing that helps men who loose their hair due to male hormones, but I doubt it would work for women, but for around $12 it's worth a try. It called "Polysorbate 80" & it's a food additive, an emulsifier. It's use to mix oils with liquids in foods, so it also absorbs oils deep in the scalp, without drying it out)

You can buy the Polysorbate 80 at most health food stores (it's usually around $12 for 8 oz.) and massage this on to the area where you are loosing hair before every shampoo & leave it on for about 10 min before you shower. Then just wash your hair as usual. In men, the hair sometimes falls out because the hormones make oils in the scalp that go deep in to the roots of the hair shaft which smothers them. The Polysorbate 80 deep cleans these areas & lets the hair shaft breathe again. Like I said, I don't know if it will help you... But I thought I'd mention it because it can do great things with men's hair loss...

They also make a Rogaine for women (it's half the strength of mens) & this might also help. I had a friend who lost BIG clumps of her hair after her hysterectomy (she was only 34!) and this drove her totally mad, but finally it did start to grow back & is now normal. Her doctor said it was just the shock to her body of the operation & also the hormone change & some women's hair will grow back & some doesn't (many women loose chunks of hair after childbirth & it grows back) & he recommended lots of sleep & no stress & a good vitamin supplement.

There's a good chance your hair will grow back within the next year... But if for some reason it doesn't here's one of my favorite hair piece & wig sites. They sell these great hair pieces that are made to cover thinning hair in all forms. For great deals go to the bottom of the page where it says "INVENTORY REDUCTION SALE" These are wigs & hair pieces that are half price. They usually only have 1 or 2 colors left, but it's always worth the time it takes to look here! Once you know the color that matches your hair, it's easy. It can also be a lot of fun to look around here. They make a wonderful hair piece for women with super-thin hair. It looks kind of like a wig, but it has huge holes that you pull your own hair up through using a plastic crochet hook. This way, people see your real hair, but it's mixed with extra hair too... They also make a hairpiece that's hair on a headband. This is great for when you don't want to take the time to do your hair before leaving the house & want a quickie fix! It all depends on what area you are loosing your hair at. If you ever need any help with hairpieces, I know the scoop, as I've tried them all. You can write me here on ThriftyFun.

http://www.acewigs.com

INVENTORY REDUCTION SALE:
www.acewigs.com/.../search.cgi?keyword=reduction]

PAULA YOUNG WIGS: (discount wigs & hair pieces)
www.paulayoung.com/

By BeckyinTexas (Guest Post)

I had the same problem. My doctor told me to eat more protein. I increased to average between 50 and 65 grams per day. It took about 3 months but now I have thick, healthy and shiny hair. It has worked for everyone who has tried it.

After my hysterectomy, I was getting hot flushes, my hair was falling out and I looked a mess! Doctor put me on HRT and I have never looked back. At 53yrs old I don't even have many wrinkles (except a few around my eyes). Probably will get post telling me about how horrible HRT is and how dangerous. but after 5 years and regular check ups, I seem to be ok.