Remedies for Thin Hair

Category Thin Hair
There are many reasons for thin, limp hair. This is a guide about remedies for thin hair.

Being 77 year old, my hair is thinning. I can't afford Joan Rivers Cosmetic Hair Color to fill in the thinning area so I tried using my dry powder eyebrow color on my scalp, just like she does on her TV ad. It did a pretty good job of coverage. My hair is light brown almost dark blond.

By Shirley from Mesa, AZ

When one of my daughters was little, she had very wispy, very fine hair. A pharmacist recommended Biotin (back then - more than 20 years ago - they were tiny white pills. Now, they are huge!). I dosed her up and her hair improved. Now, as a 25 year old, she has beautiful long thick healthy hair.

By Leeza

This is a guide about adding volume to thin or fine hair. When hair is fine or thin you may find ways to style it or some hair products to make it look fuller.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My mom's hair is really starting to fall out from chemotherapy. She doesn't want to get a wig(this climate's very hot and humid and wigs can be uncomfortable). Do those horse shampoos really make hair look thicker? They're kind of expensive and mom doesn't want to try until she knows. Or does anybody know of another solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

Answers

The mane and tails shampoo does tend to make your hair thicker and softer...and smells good! :)

But losing hair is one side effect of chemo, so the shampoo wont really help.

Good luck to your mom and family. God bless

Does anyone know of something that really works and is really good to plump up thinning hair in women?

By Sharon

Answers

Some time ago "Consumer Report's" magazine did research on a couple different shampoos that claimed to make thin hair thicker. They found that the only one that really did what the company claimed to do is Amplify shampoo which is a Matrix product. I use it and it does work. None of the salons here carry it so I made arrangements for a salon to get it for me from a beauty supply place. The beauty supply place would only sell directly to a licensed beautician. I paid $10 for a 13.5 oz. bottle. Since I shampoo twice, I use Amplify for my second shampoo only and it seems to last forever.

"Consumer's" also tested a Redkin product but it did not perform as well as Amplify.

(We received this from Betty as well...)

Last week I answered this question with my recommendation of using Amplify shampoo which is made by Matrix. The very next day I opened my September issue of "Consumer Reports" to their article on shampoos. In it they discuss briefly the shampoos that claim to give more fullness to hair. They feel that just shampooing hair helps to plump it up some. However, they say that Pantene Pro-V Ultra V Shampoo Plus Conditioner for normal hair is "moderately effective."

Betty

I don't have a formula to plump up thinning hair, but I do know that most women need a vitamin E supplement, a B-complex vitamin, and LOTS of fresh water (8 glasses of 8 ounces each) DAILY to keep their hair and skin healthy. That might be a good place to start!

Ness

One thing you don't want to do is use lots of conditioner because this weighs the hair down. I have found that volumnizing shampoo works great and after rinsing your hair use a reconstruction spray that can be purchased from a beauty supply house, then set on rollers and dry, you should have the appearance of plumper hair! It sure helped my bad hair days. I got this tip while on a cruise ship recently when they held a "bad hair day" session.

Ms. Syd Barr - Dunkirk, MD

To increase the volume of hair, a second rinse with plain beer works well.

Karin from Holland

I use "Guts" by Redken, this is an excellent product and the amount of volume is wonderful. It is a little pricey but well worth it. You can purchase it at hair salons, if you know someone who has their beautician's license and will purchase stuff for you have them get it for you. It's quite a bit cheaper than buying it at the salon.

Myndy

I used Toppik hair building fibers by Spencer Forrest. Little fibers bond to your hair and give it body as well as cover thinning spots. I also like a wax type product like Definition which lightly touched to clean dry hair makes it stay better than hair spray. Good luck

volumax freeze spray plumps up hair. But vitamins are what your body needs for healthy hair.

By Solange (Guest Post)

I cant tell you one thing tht work for my hair is Kazam Royal Hair treatement oil , I recommended it to my friends they loved it, my hair got fluffier and shiny, one of my friends had dandruff probems and she was able to prevent it by moisturing her hair with this great ol.

The oil is made out of natural and organic ingredients, excellent herbs and great liquid butters such as shea butter , it even has vitamins.

I'm sick of chemicals and products that never work, this one is a miracle I can telly you this!

By (Guest Post)

Well I know what works for me, I dont need "consumer report" to tell me.

By Sassy (Guest Post)

I use Top Brass Thickening on my thin hair and it is very thick and healthy along with my hair vitamins.
Good luck

By DarWeen in Ga, USA (Guest Post)

This is a subject very near & dear to my heart! My natural hair is very silky and lays flat against my head. For many years I've colored my hair just to get the volume {I used to try perms but the 'look' just isn't me}. Then somewhere along the way I discovered when I used thinning shears on the hair on top of my head it made my hair 'fluffy'. Take each strand of hair and make a snip about 2 inches from the scalp, go out about 4 inches & do it again. This probably sounds crazy to be thinning the hair when it's already too thin, but it works by fluffing up the hair near the head, making it look fuller. (Just don't get carried away & snip TOO much). It doesn't cost a thing, after the initial cost of the shears [which you can get at Wal-Mart for about $8], plus there's no chemicals involved. Also, in the Farmers Almanac, it says if you trim the ends of your hair on the day of a full-moon it will grow thicker. (this isn't hocus-pocus; the moon has 'pull' over the water on earth, the tides & such, and our bodies are like 75% water ) . Good Luck :)

I have fine, very straight hair. I would like to know which root lift products are best for giving it more lift and volume. I do use volume shampoos and they help.

By jch

I have thin, lifeless, hair with no body. I wear it short. Does anybody have any suggestions to give body to my hair?

Thqnks,
Judy Fom Texas

Answers

Try putting gel in your hair while it's still wet, then blow it dry on low heat and use a pick to lift it up while drying it. When it's almost dry, flip your head over and blow it dry still picking it with the pick. Then try spraying it with some light-weight hair spray. Good luck! I hope this works!

By (Guest Post)

Also, try wearing your hair in layers. Have your stylist cut your layers with the razor.

BrookesMommy's advice was good. Also, don't use shampoo for dry hair, or mositurizers. They soften hair.

By Joanne (Guest Post)

You're not going to belive this but it works. Mix a packet of birth control pills into a bottle of shampoo. Use the shampoo like you normaly do. Before the bottle is finished, you will see new, fuller hair starting to grow. I learn this from a nurse who worked in the geriactric dept.

By Tracy_0226 (Guest Post)

You might try adding a tablespoon of baking soda to water in a small spray bottle. Spray on slightly damp hair and aim for the roots. It gives you great "beach hair" that is full of texture.

By Heidi (Guest Post)

You might want to try a hot oil treatment with some Monoi Oil as well. Its great for cleaning your scalp as well as giving over stressed or thin hair life.

By Summer (Guest Post)

Hey my name is summer. I am a model so my modeling agency makes sure i take good care of my hair. I used to have short lifeless hair just like you. It wasnt super short but it was ... medium short. What they told me to do was wash it with maximum strength shampoo and conditioner every other day. I used dove. It worked really good. Then after every shower i would blowdry my hair then spray on leave in conditioner and thickening spray. It left my hair looking shiny, soft, and full of life. So thats an idea for you. Thanks for listening. If you wanna ask me any questions you can email me at model_hottie2468 @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

By Henna (Guest Post)

Pour a small amount (however strong you can stand)of apple cider vinegar into a small jar (any leftover face cream jar will do) of water and keep in bathroom. After showering use qtip, dip frequently and massage your whole scalp with this mixture. Use continuously after every shower. Also helps with dandruff problem. The smell is quite strong so dilute solution until it' weaker or try putting it half hour or hour earlier and then wash it out. It just doesn't give you volume; it increases thickness of hair. My sister who's had thin hair her whole life started this 2 years ago. She first noticed that it gave her more volume but now 2 years later, when she wears her hair in a ponytail the thickness is the same as mine. Quite dramatic.

What can I use for my hair to make it thicker. I have tried everything I see that's a hair thickening product, but no results. I'm feeling so hopeless when it comes to my hair. Everything I try seems to me that I'm only wasting my money on hopeless capsules and treatments. Please help. My hair is so thin that you can even see my scalp. It's very embarrassing for me to go out when I'm looking like this. It breaks my heart. Please tell me what to mix or anything. Please, I'm very desperate. I have straight hair, but it's too thin.

By Casline from South Africa

My daughter is 8 years old and she has very fine, thin hair. It grows slowly and breaks, it does not grow long. Please give me advice. I sometimes think maybe it might be the shampoo that's too strong for her.

By Milla

Does the use of horse shampoo such as Equiline cause greying of hair when used on humans? If it does what causes it? Is there a specific way to use horse shampoos for the treatment of thin and falling hair as when I used it it made my hair very hard?

By Z.E from Johannesburg, SA

My hair is too thin. How do I thicken it?

By wowhotnews

I once had thick shoulder length hair, but I have lost most of my hair and its thickness due to hair extension glue. I have been trying to grow it back, but no results. Please help.

By Thawer

I think I need a perm as my hair is very thin and fine. However is perming hair bad for falling hair? Will perming hair cause further loss? I need volume at the top to conceal my scalp. Wearing a wig is uncomfortable for hot weather conditions and it looks unreal.

By Tan BH

My hair is too fine and thin. What can I do to make it thicker and strong?

By Siphosethu

My question is to the person who mentioned that eating walnuts helps your hair, do you mean fresh, or packaged walnuts, does it make any difference? Thanks.

By Anne

Due to an allergic reaction, I have had some thin patches in my hair which are growing back in. In the meantime, I find that when I apply strong black coffee to the area, my scalp is tinted a light brown, which blends in with my hair and disguises the thin section! This is only temporary, but might help if you want to disguise thinning hair where the white scalp shows through the thin hair! Its working for me.

By pam munro from L.A., CA

I am a middle-aged woman. Does anyone have tricks to camophlage thinning hair on the top (crown) and front hairline? I know this can be a hereditary condition, but has anyone ever heard of it being caused by wearing a baseball cap a lot? In the summer I've been wearing a cap to ward off the sun and in the winter to keep warm, even in the house. It just got to where I would feel so cozy with the hat on, I just left it on. I have tried Toppik, a fiber-type substance you shake on the scalp and hair and it blends the scalp and hair. It works well, but can be messy. Making the hair itself look thicker is no problem.

There are shampoos and products to add volume that work really well. It's when you can see the scalp in such contrast to the hair. I was wondering about using a self-tanner on the scalp where the hair is thin. Do you think it could work? Any other tricks? My hair is brown - would blond hi-lights, especially in the thin areas, disract the eye and give the illusion of hair? Please help with your ideas or experience.

Thanks,

Clevergirl from Westchester, NY

Answers:

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have heard that hats cause baldness in men and women, but I wonder if that's just a myth. I like Sauve Professionals Thick and Full shampoo and conditioner. I also spray my hair with hairspray before I style. It adds some volume. I wouldn't suggest self tanner unless you do it all over (at least what is visible when you are clothed). My hair is black so I add highlights of bright red and orange-blonde to detract from how thin it is. Maybe go to a salon to lighten or highlight your hair. Or try a beauty college to save cash. If your hair is already fine, perhaps weak, you don't want to risk it breaking off... Or check out local wig shops. You can get falls of hair that you attach with bobby pins or special glue. You might even consider having a weave put in. If nothing else, dress well, smile, and have confidence. That can go along way:) (06/01/2006)

By samaree

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Hi Clevergirl,
I am a hairstylist as well as a salon owner and I will tell you what I know. Firstly, the hat thing. There has been some research that has shown that continuous wearing of ballcaps and such where the scalp becomes sweaty and the sweat is trapped and clogging the hair follicles to the point that it is killing the hairstrand within. So for guys that wear them day in and day out? It may be a "contributing factor".

As for trying to minimize the noticability of yours....you want to make the contrast between your scalp and your hair less. So yes, blonde hilites will help. I would maybe even go for a bit lighter brown all over if you are up for trying that and then blonde hilights in the thinner areas. Just be gentle with the hair don't want to damage the hair that you have.

Not sure if I would try the self tanner or not??? I would be worried about clogging up the hair follicles I guess.
(06/02/2006)

By Pammy

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I think baldness or thinning hair is hereditary. I wouldn't color my hair if I were you. My sister colors her hair and keeps it permed and she is the only one in our family of four girls who has a bald spot. I would however, continue to wear some type of hat when I went outside to prevent skin cancer on the top of your head. I think the length of the hair is what is most important when it comes to covering up baldness. Shorter hair looks like more hair. Also, it can be blown dry to cover the places where there isn't much hair. I wouldn't worry to much about it, but rather learn to love the body you have. WE all have things about ourselves that we don't like.
Warm wishes, (06/02/2006)

By Carol in PA

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Have you tried the vitamin Biotin? First magazine had an article about it this year. I have been taking it for four months and my hairdresser has been commenting on how thick my hair is getting. (06/02/2006)

By Meg

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Here are my tips (sorry if they duplicate any above):

Frequent shampooing if your hair tends to be oily (use baby shampoo if you are worried). Also, I don't use the blow dryer too often (except when going out). Instead I run my hands through my hair as it dries and then back brush it. I bend over and brush the hair forward. This makes the hair look fuller. A good haircut is very important. Keep your hair no longer than shoulder length, and your hair layered. A mild body wave (I have heard) can be very helpful.
Finally, good quality, well-matched hairpieces (the less hair on them the better ... as it will look more natural). Some have combs for attachment and then you can use bobby pins to secure them. Try Paula Young if budget is a problem. Ask them to mail you swatches before you buy so you can compare against your hair. Paula Young is online. I am not advertising them, but have used them successfully and am very happy with results. They even have specific pieces for crown and side coverage.

Good luck.

(06/04/2006)

By Dree

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Hypothyroidism is a common cause of thinning hair in women. Do you also have any of the following symptoms: dry skin, feeling inappropriately cold, depression, high cholesterol, high or low blood pressure, joint pains?

Ask your doc to check TSH and Free T4 levels. If your TSH is over 3 with symptoms, you should be treated.

Visit About Thyroid for more info. http://thyroid.about.com/

Low ferritin (storage iron) is another cause of hair loss and many of the above symptoms. A serum ferritin test will identify anemia before it shows up on a CBC.

(06/04/2006)

By txthyroid

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

My sister, who had beautiful hair, wore wigs for about 20 years. It left her with several bald spots. Her hair has recovered after several years of ditching the wigs. Hair is alive and needs to breathe. The hat is not helping your condition.

Best of luck! (06/05/2006)

By Sheri darling

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I am a 3 time cancer survivor and all the chemo has left me with very thin hair. Being a hairdresser, I really don't like it much. Then I read the following about thin hair and attitude and I feel better!

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. "Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "H-M-M, " she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today." So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEAH!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!

Attitude is everything.

(06/06/2006)

By prism

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have always had thin hair and now it is getting thinner. I wear a simple brimed hat almost all the year during the day when I leave the home.. In the winter it is wool or cloth and in the summer it is a lightweight material. (The brim is great for keeping wrinkles to a minimum.) I decorate them with scarves, belts and jewelry.In the evenings when I go out I wear no design baseball hats. I pull my hair in a tiny ponytail at the back of my head, pull the pony tail out the hole and put a big bow type barrette on my hair above the ponytail at the hole in the back of the cap. I buy all these items at thrift stores . No one knows how little hair I have and I get lots of compliments on my hats. (06/08/2006)

By thrifty 50

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I have been trying to camouflage thinning hair for years. When I was young my hair was extremely thick so when it started thinning, it was very difficult for me to except. I have a lot of medical problems and all doctors have told me that the thinning is caused by my conditions plus some of the meds that I have to take. I am also a cosmetologist which made it even more devastating. My hair is naturally dark blonde. I lightened my hair to a light beige blone and wore it that way for years, but as it got thinner, I just was not happy. My youngest daughter just got married on March 3rd and I was so upset with my hair that I consulted another cosmetologist and she said that I actually was wearing it too light. She went to a darker blonde and then highlighted it and that is looking much better. Also, the haircut is extremely important! You want it short....but not too short. I use a volume shampoo and then styling it, I blow it dry and then use called SUDZZ FX Lemonade Dreamzz Texture Creme and "crunch it" to give the illusion of thicker hair. I have to say, I was very happy with the results and was not embarrassed with my hair (or lack of hair) when attending the wedding. I received numerous compliments.

Please do not use a self tanner. It would only clog the hair follicles and make your problem worse. Hats and wigs are not a good idea either unless you get to the point where you are bald.

I would check with a doctor to see if you can pinpoint the problem. It could be a medical problem that needs attention.

I also like the story that was sent it previously about the girl with three hairs. Attitude is a big part of it. I am attaching a pic of me with all three of my daughters at the wedding so you can see my hair. And trust me, it is so thin that you could see my scalp no matter what. Good Luck. (03/20/2007)

By Lil

RE: Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

Tips for Hiding Thinning Hair

I also have thinning hair.I found a product called Toppik that is a hair fiber that you shake on where the thinning places are. It really covers them up. It comes in different colors,which mine is light brown but I am really impressed with this product. You can find it at amazon, ebay or several other places I have seen it.It is a little expensive but I think it is well worth it. It stays on until you wash it out. Sure makes me feel better about myself. (08/17/2009)

By bARBARA Noble