Dieting Advice for Teenagers

Category Nutrition
A teen girl eating fruit.
A young person can improve their health and fitness and at the same time create good eating habits. This guide contains dieting advice for teenagers.

I'm only 15, and I live with my gradmother, who loves to eat junk food. I am overweight, and possibly obese. Any tips on how to lose weight so I can look good this summer? What foods should I eat and what exercises?

Best Answer

Do these things:

1. Walk a mile every day. If you can get your grandmother to go with you, all the better. Company helps consistency.

2. Dance to music you like.

3. Do housework. It will keep you moving and please your grandmother.

4. Join a physical activity at school and or at the local rec center.

5. Eat 6 servings of raw or steamed vegetables without dressing, butter, or dip every day.

6. Eat on a small plate, but make sure you eat enough every day. Just reduce the meat, sweets, and wheat (and other starches) and increase the veggies and fruits without adding sugar or fat. Portion control is important, but please be careful not to undereat. Don't develop an eating disorder. When you want junk food, drink a glass of water, eat some fresh fruit and veggies, take a walk, and if you still want it, have a small, level teaspoon of peanut butter. Eat three meals a day, but try to eat whole foods, not starchy, fatty, fried foods.

7. Learn to cook. Ask Grandma for tips, but avoid adding fat and sugar. Challenge her to learn healthy cooking with you. You'll be doing both of you a favor.

Check out your local library for periodicals and books with diet advice. I think you probably know a lot already, even at 15 years old. The television, magazines, and newspapers are all jammed with information on losing weight.

Avoid the fads and super claims, though. You're smart, so you know there are no miracle diets!

Goal number one is to realize that you alone are responsible for your own body. At age 5, you might have been able to blame your grandmother for your eating habits, but at age 15, you're grownup enough to make excellent choices for yourself.

Eating healthy food is important -- vegetables, lean meat, fish, poultry, whole grain breads, fresh fruits -- but even more important is quantity. Limit your servings and serving sizes. Get some extra exercise. It all comes down to discipline and habit.

Keep a positive, cheerful attitude, and who knows, your grandmother might even decide to join you!

Soon you'll be happier and healthier. Good luck.

I have to agree with Patti. Avoid fads and diets in favor of eating better. Replace snacks with healthier ones. Instead of potato chips and dip, try salsa and baked tortilla chips.

Foods like baked potatoes are quick, easy and filling. Veggies like carrots are excellent as a snack and are very filling. You can find recipes online that are healthy, inexpensive, and easy to prepare.

Keep away from soda. You can replace it with water flavored with lemon. Try different ways of exercising to find out what is right for you. There may be a particular hobby or sport you enjoy. You will get your exercise and have fun at the same time. Once you start eating better and exercising you will be amazed at how much better you feel. The weight may not come off immediately but you will definitely notice a change.

I would also recommend joining a support group - even an online one. I know there are some communities for people who are trying to lose weight. Getting advice from and just talking to people who are going through the same thing can be extremely helpful.

Good luck! :)

-Bijou

Amanda,

You've taken the first step in admitting you want to change your life style. Well done!!!

Try to eat fresh food whenever you can. There are loads of great recipes on this website! Make cooking your hobby, and you might turn into a top chef!

My tip for losing weight is try to move as much as you can. If you hear a good song on the radio (and you're on your own!) DANCE!!! Walk wherever you can. Stretch your legs if you're standing still. Clench your butt cheeks in class!

Drink lots of water and do your VERY best to avoid processed foods. (its difficult I know - but worth it!)

It won't take long to acheive the resultsyou want. My best friend went from 14 stone to 10 1/2 stone in a year. (SHE LOOKS AMAZING!) .....set your self a goal and you WILL get there!!!

Best of luck to you.

Julie (near London, England)