16th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys

Category Birthday
Planning a birthday party for teenagers can be challenging. This guide is about16th birthday party ideas for boys.

My son's birthday is on April 24th and he invited his three friends to go to Kings Dominion for the weekend but 2 confirmed that were going. Then, one cancelled the day before the trip and the other didn't want to be the only one to go. IT WAS A DISASTER!

I felt so bad for my son. Anyways, we still went to the park with the family. I want to give his friends another chance and I want to do something for my son for his 16th. Please give me some ideas! I would like to do something this Sat. 4-21

Magali from Virginia

Answers

What a bummer! But I feel your pain! Mine will be 16 on the 25th! Can you believe it's gone by that fast!
Anyway, due to my son's mental illness I've had to celebrate his 13th (in a BAD place) 14th, 15th and now the 16th NOT at HOME. So remind your son, that family and friends, no matter how little are the BEST!

By glinda (Guest Post)

I listen carefully through the year to my kids , especially as they near a "special" birthday like 13, 16, and 21. They usually mention what they want, but, it's at a time alot of times you're busy with something and don't listen. My son is getting ready to turn 16, and all he can talk about when the subject comes up is having a "get-together" with all the guys, he is involved with a church group.

He wants to have all the guys over for a camp out, and eat what he chooses. I just let him talk, and I know he loves it. Alot of times if we are short of money, they are willing to get a smaller present to have the "get-together" or party, they want to do. And that works for me. He's happy / I'm happy. He has a good memory...that's important....

By Ken (Guest Post)

I am a 16 year old guy. MY sister had a huge $8000 party on a 3 level yacht in an expensive on-the-water area about 20 minutes from where we live, and since i'm turning 16 the same year, I feel as if i should do something too. I just don't know what, so any ideas would be great, and theres no budget.

By Sandra (Guest Post)

We are having a basketball party at a health club. It was a challenge finding a place with a basketball court to rent out because they are usually for all members to use. We settled for a Sunday as it is less use. The party is split two hours for the boys to just play basketball and the last two hours for the girls to join with music and food, with the court still available for those who just want to play at basketball.

By the way 1/2 hour inbetween for the guys to freshen up. This is one advantage of a club because they have the facility and will work with you to personalize it. Not nearly as expensive as my daughters.

By Ben (Guest Post)

I'm going to be 16 soon. I've done the bowling, ice skating, laser quest, camping, and my mum and dad think paint balling is too dangerous. I don't want to do a scavenger hunt. Please help me think of something original, because my parties are always remembered!

By chantelle (Guest Post)

Hey guys I'm gonna turn 16 in 22 days on the 21st of October and I really wanted to have a party but my parents decided to move to the river land so we did! Now I live 4 hrs away from were I use to live and now I have only meet a couple of friends, but it's school holidays and I don't know what to do now please help me out, if you have any ideas please email me on buddyweed_05 AT hotmail.com Cheers

By Lisa (Guest Post)

I just want to provide feedback to Ben, who's parents think paintball is too dangerous. Ben, I am the mother of a soon to be 16 yr. old son and an 11 year old son, and I've played more paintball than both of them (only we played on our own and on private property...that can get a bit dangerous, but doesnt' have to)! If you parents find a reputable paintball course, they're set up with all of the safety gear you need and have the place set up with plenty of "duck and cover" spots. If you have anyone who is opposed to the possiblility of bruises, they MAY want to sit the paintball game out, but other than that, you'll all be fine.

Otherwise, for our son's 14th birthday, we'd just finished a half-pipe (he was an AVID skateboarder) and hired a local teen band to play while the guys skated (with parental signed permission). You don't have to do the half-pipe, but a teen band really doesn't ask for more than a donatation (we gave them $100), and what could be cooler than to have a live band play your birthday! All his friends said that was one of the best parties they'd ever been to, and even better that his parent's actually hired the band!

Check with your friends at school to find a band or call a local music shop...don't have one of those, try the school music teacher. They can usually tell you who takes their music seriously enough to get together with friends to form a band. Or you can try your local community center to see if, like ours, the local teens have a community group. If your community has a teen group, they will most likely have flyers for any and all local teen bands.

By rocknrollgirl (Guest Post)

I only wish I could afford to buy my son a truck or car? What do you buy him when he turns 18? Parents give to much, that is why we have spoiled kids.

Instead of buying the 16 year old a vehicle, tell him what ever he makes by work a job in a ? period of time you will match it to help him purchase a vehicle. A little hard work never hurt anyone. Teach him responsibility not dependency.

By Alexis (Guest Post)

Hi, actually my boyfriend is turning 16 and he actually asked for a surprise something for his birthday. I would love to do this, and surprised that i had not thought of this before for him, but his mom and I are rather busy and are fresh out of ideas for the moment. He says that he doesnt want anything and nothing too expensive, but doesn't everyone say that? Please help me if you have any ideas about surprising him when he is already expecting it.

My son birthday its on jan 18, he want a party, but I don't know what to do. I don't have any ideas for boys birthday.

By Christine (Guest Post)

I like the idea of taking the kids to a local hotel that has a pool and other activities in walking distance. Get a room for the adults only and one for the kids.

They will have a good time and the chaperones will always be close by to look in, but don't get headaches from the craziness.

By Ben Alberry (Guest Post)

I turn 16 on June 8 and woiuld like to have a party June 7 but i don't know what i should do. We don't have tons of money but enough to have fun. I want all my friends to remember this party. What can i do to have a great party that my friends will enjoy?

I need help with some party ideas for my son that is turning 16 in February. He says sweet 16 parties are not just for girls. My problem is I have no ideas and every party we have tried to give him no one shows up for it.

annmariereinig from Beaverton, MI

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Have you asked you son for input on things he likes? If no one shows up for the parties in the past maybe it would be wise just to let him invite a couple of friends to go out and do something fun. Extreme bowling and laser tag are both really fun.

By Shirley (Guest Post)

I hired a DJ for my daughters 16th birthday. We had over 40 kids in our house. I made appetizers, her favorite cake and soda. To break the ice her little 5 yr old sister and friend danced the macarana. After that everyone was dancing. Every one including the boys had a great time.

Both my boys wanted the same type of party when they turned 16...Paintball. We have a local place that sits on about 5 acres and they were allowed to bring 5 friends and spend the afternoon playing on the paintball course. They also had a party/game room that was ready for them to chow down in once they were through playing.

i have never heard of a sweet 16 for a boy. But I am wondering about your last sentence. Why has no one ever shown up? just a thought.

I had a "sweet" 16 party for my son. We live in a warmer climate, but we had a DJ set up in our garage, and dug a firepit and put haybales around it - a safe distance away, of course - for them to sit around. We had soft drinks in a big cooler on ice, food on tables in the garage, and the basketball goal was also right there for them to play - guys and girls! They all seemed to have a good time, I didn't do a lot of decorating because it was more "rustic", and his younger brother wanted one just like it when he turned 16! Good Luck!!

Our young teens & their friends, a mix of boys & girls, enjoyed being taken out to dinner at a nicer (not extravagant) restaurant of the birthday kid's choosing. The teens sat at their own table & had a really nice time. The idea came from the birthday girl herself & they all had fun, under the supervision of her parents from another table. This may not sound thrifty. You must compare the cost of the restaurant against anything else you would do to see if it works for you. Another thing they like is for the birthday kid & some good friends to be treated to a movie & perhaps pizza before or after at the host's house, or go to a fast food restaurant.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

The paint ball, bowling, laser gun, arcade, obstacle course, Scavenger Hunt, sounds like he'd get more to accept, if he has friends he hasn't turned off for any reason. A suggestion: Make a concerted effort to encourage him to read library or church library books on how to win friends, making certain it's on his level, full of visual pages, and discuss with him how you have made friends in the past.

Often it's because they want to do things he doesn't or vice versa, as you know. It's acceptable to invite only a few and have an "sleep-over/steak night" with balloons filled with dollars hanging from the top edges of the ceiling by tacks in the stems, complete with streamers and a nice original cake or giant oatmeal pizza. Guys love Pizza, so if not a full meal, go for drinks, chip/dips, pizzas and clear out a room. They can call their own for a night, with you disappearing for the most part, checking only a few times throughout the evening. You could offer BIG BREAKFAST for the BIG GUY, complete with big sliced fried potatoes, TEXAS Toast (thick slices), diagonally sliced Kielbasa Sausage, and scrambled eggs, with Hot Chocolate galore and even coffee since they're "Older" then.

Going to the rifle/pistol range, is good for that age if Dad can supervise and there is permission from parents. If you know of anyone with a farm and an ATV or two to rent, take a few friends there. Teen boys love those things. Don't even SUGGEST that anything's "sweet", because being a sixteen year old boy in this generation is just short of Romeo's rage, along with a lot of moral confusion to boot. Mix it up, get input from the son but encourage him in the way he should go, not just any old way. After all, you're the steward/parent God chose
to raise him, right? God bless, encourage, and help you. : )

By Sgr (Guest Post)

I am looking for a boy who is ready to be 16 but he didn't want this big party just wants friends over.
What do I do?

My 16th birthday is coming soon, but idk what to do. I am a boy and I want 20 people to come to my birthday. We have a small house and are low on funds. Please help on ideas. I want it to be fun.

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up, but he is no fun at picking party ideas. I try to get him into ideas, but he is like 'nah', which I found mostly annoying. He really wants to do a paintball party, but he is afraid that people might get hurt. Can people give me ideas what he should do for his birthday?

I need assistance to plan a Boy's 16th birthday, Asian themed (not a 'sweet' 16). Decorations and games need to be cool, not child-like. What do 16 year olds want to do? He recently relocated and wants to make an impression of not being too dorky. I thought of hiding clues in fortune cookies to find presents? I'm making a cake shaped like Chinese take out and sushi sides (cake). Serving General Tao chicken and rice. It's an afternoon party in October 08.

Robin from Milford, CT

What are some good party ideas for a boy turning 16?

By Ivana

My birthday is December 26th, the day after Christmas, that sucks because everyone will be home relaxing and enjoying their time with their family. I don't know what I should do. Can you please help me/give me options?

By Sheldon

My best friend is having his 16th birthday party after delaying it for way too long. I'm a girl so it's going to be a mixed party, but the thing is he's not into huge parties and the social aspect of things. He's more academic and his mother is not exactly open to him socializing and being out of her site for anything. Any ideas?

By Kendyll S.

I'm turning 16 soon and I want to throw a party for a bunch of friends. Please help me. I need ideas, party themes, anything is helpful. Please. Think big! Thanks.

By Daniel F.

My son is having his 16th birthday in a couple of of weeks, and I want to do a Skyrim themed party. Any ideas on decorations? I am thinking of making him a PS3 controller cake. I am having a hard time finding anything on the internet. Any ideas and help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

By Tanyisha H.

My son is turning 16 on New Years Eve! In the past we have delayed his celebration so friends will be in town, etc., but this one we can't. He does not have his license yet so we are not doing the car thing. Any suggestions?

By marnina from Santa Barbara

I want to have a birthday bash and I want it to be a big one, but it's at my care home in Leeds and I only have a limited budget. Should I just order a hall?

By Paul from Seacroft UK

I have no idea what kind of party I want for my 16 birthday party. It's on the 27 of September. Do you guys have any suggestions?

By Stefan A.

My birthday is coming up in May and I'm not sure what I wanna do for my birthday. Like I want to do something like with me and some of my friends, but I'm not sure what to do. There's so many things that I could do that I can't figure out what I want to do. Any suggestions?

By Daniel from Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada

My parents are gonna throw me a party when I turn 16. It's gonna be exactly on my birthday. I want a party with family and friends. I need ideas for the party. Please help!

By Michael M.

I have 5 kids, all of whom have their birthdays between January and April (twins included, who want separate parties this year, double whammy), so I am definitely on a budget.

My oldest, because he's the oldest, has kind of got the minimum the last few years and is turning 16 in April. I would really like to do something special for him. Anyone have any ideas? Also, his birthday is April Fools Day if that sparks any thoughts.

By momof5 from British Columbia, Canada

Answers:

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

When my son was turning 16, we asked him what he wanted to do for a party. He really didn't have anything in particular so we gave him $100 for him and a few of his friends to go out for pizza and to a movie. Of course in Iowa, you can drive at 16 so this was a big deal to go by themselves.

The other thing you could do is arrange for a sitter for your other kids and tell your son you are taking him to dinner. Have some of his friends already at the restaurant and have a little surprise party for him. You could also do this at your house if you wanted. Good luck! (02/16/2010)

By Leslie Hess

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

Paintballing with friends
Movies with friends
Beach bday with boogie boards packed lunch and let the boys run around (02/17/2010)

By muaonthego

It's my son's 16th b-day at the end of March. We've talked about having a DJ and/or karaoke. Any ideas?

Charless from Indiana

Answers:

Son's 16th Birthday Party Ideas

If he and his friends would enjoy it and you have a way to buy or borrow it, the "Guitar Hero" video game seems pretty popular, although I've never tried it.

I do like your idea of doing the DJ and karaoke thing. I just hope your son and his friends aren't shy or self-conscious! (01/10/2009)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

We got our son a really nice truck for his 16th birthday! He has no clue. He does not want a party. I like the scavenger hunt ideas, but we live out in the boonies. There is a small center in our small town that I rented out for our daughters 16th birthday, but he doesn't want to do it. How am I supposed to surprise him with a truck in front of all our family and friends if he wants no part of it?

I thought about renting the center anyway, and having a simple boring dinner... but then what? I was all excited about giving him this truck, but he is ruining it! Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Teena from Boonies in Indiana

Answers:

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

A 16 year old boy really may not want a party. Give him a small gift wrapped box with the truck key inside and the directions to where it is parked. If you want you can enclose a small metal pickup in the box for a keepsake. (01/17/2007)

By Lois

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

Why don't you take him to dinner, or lunch, somewhere nice , but not too costly, then give him a wrapped gift box, with some clues in it -- and tell him he has to find his real present using the clues in the box! Tell him he can invite friends to help him look or do it with family. (01/17/2007)

By Rosa

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

Take him out to eat the night before his b-day, maybe a pizza place. Ask just a few of his friends to show up about 15 min after you have been seated. Let them join in,be sure to sit by a window that he has a clear view outside. Have someone drive up with his truck at the window with a big bow and a huge tag [a poster board] for him on the windshield.And just wait till he notices. Let the pizza place or whatever place know the plan ahead. Then he can drive around on his b-day showing off his new truck, that he got at his small surprise party. He would not expect anything the night before his b-day. (01/17/2007)

By barbara

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

PLEASE don't ambush your son with a party or a hunt that he doesn't want. Isn't the main idea to delight him, rather than to arrange a public display for your gift? This is HIS day, and if you respect his wishes for privacy, it is sure to remain one of his most treasured memories. (01/18/2007)

By Doggy

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

Let him celebrate his birthday however he wants - you'll just ruin the excitement and appreciation if you go against his wishes just to please yourself. You must be a generous and loving parent to even think of giving such a gift, so please keep that giving spirit and find a way for him to really enjoy his special day. He's going to be surprised no matter how many people are there. You should be happy enough with the surprised look and joy on his face and not the reactions from anyone else. (01/19/2007)

By Anon

Party Ideas for My Sons 16th Birthday

Maybe get him tickets to a concert? Get him something so he can bring a friend(s). Than while he's at the concert get all his friends over at the house and stuff and be ready to surprise him, I just turned 16, and i said i didn't want a party, but i totally did. (02/05/2007)

By Misty Schuler

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.