Disposing of Important Papers

Protecting your personal data is important. There are a number of ways to destroy documents that you no longer need to keep. This guide is about disposing of important papers.

March 20, 2015 Flag

I get sick of shredding so sometimes I put papers in the sink with hot soapy water and let them soak while I do other things. When I come back to them, they are easy to tear and mix into tight balls. When dry, these balls will be impossible to break apart for any information.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just thought of another use for the dried paper balls. Use them in your fire place or outside barbecue pit for kindling or fire starters.

March 18, 2013 Flag

If everyone procrastinates in cleaning out old files of utility bills, bank statements, etc., like I do, it becomes a huge job. The container that comes with your paper shredder is so inadequate at this stage, that I put a clean trash bag in my kitchen trash basket, and shred away. You don't have to worry about emptying it every 5 minutes. When the bag is full just fasten the top and drop in the trash or the incinerator. The original container makes a neat wastebasket for the bathroom.

Harlean from Arkansas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's a good tip but I would donate the paper to the local pet shelter, or recycle it. You can also use it to fill gift baskets, start a wood stove fire, or check out the thousands of uses in a google search.

June 18, 2010 Flag

For those who still have diaper duty at home and shred their sensitive documents. Throw some of that shredded paper in the diaper before you wrap it up and toss it out. No one will be willing to try and piece that info back together.

Source: Just thinking of uses for shredded paper after my daughter and I had a blast throwing it at each other after shredding 2009's old documents.

By Kris from Bladenboro, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very funny! I was a kitty litter mixer, too back in the days when I used the clay stuff. When I used to cut up credit cards and sensitive information, I would half the cut up piles and throw half in my home garbage (in the used litter), and take half to work (in a different town and county) where I threw it in the kitchen trash with the coffee grounds! Thank goodness we now have slicer dicer shredders!

September 11, 2009 Flag

I do not have a paper shredder but I have found a very effective, inexpensive way to protect my identity. I just tear anything with personal data on it once and then put in with the household garbage.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2008 Flag

When shredding paper you only have to shred the parts with your personal info. Recycle the rest or use the blank side as scrap paper.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2010 Flag

I know we all need to try to protect our personal info from information theft. But, I've just had it with my 3rd paper shredder. They're noisy, they jam, they take too much energy and time to use and maintain, and the result isn't commercially recyclable. What are some good alternatives to shredding paper?

By nhe from Denton, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I soak mine also and then pull them to piece after the ink is all unreadable. I soak them with the cardboard I tear up to use less trash bags!

I ask my kids to shred them for me. We have a shredding party. I put them in a box, and let them shred them up and put them in 2 different trash cans. After they are done I just go through to make sure every thing is torn pretty small. They have a blast doing it and I don't spend of my time doing it. They feel proud to have helped me.

I just use a permanent marker to block out name, address and any account or code numbers appearing on sensitive paperwork, rip 'em in quarters and put them into the recycling bin.

Also agree with theroadrunneria on disposal of credit cards.

We accumulate our files and then take huge bag fulls to the Goodwill Store to be shredded. The price is very reasonable plus all your items go into one large sealed container. I asked about 'Security' & was told that there are TV cameras all over the shredding area plus a supervisor who monitors all the shredders.

Also, Office Depot has a shredding system which is done while you wait near the machines. They also are quite reasonable priced.

Rosalie

Handmade paper from bills is a beautiful idea (I have not put in practice yet), just as several folks say they have soaked papers, the next step is to mush it up in a blender and then spread it out to dry into new sheets, adding whatever fun things you like to add to paper.

There are some mail order companies that offer "shredder scissors" -- Miles Kimball is one of them They are scissors that have five blades on each side to use for shredding documents and credit cards. Good luck finding what you want.

I have switched to paperless billing on nearly all bills. I mostly get ads and and junk mail (usually with my name misspelled) and the occasional letter or package. I sort through the mail and deposit most of the junk in the recycle bin on my way back in the house. I just hand shred or mark out sensitive info but there is rarely much anymore.

Budget & Finance Identity TheftOctober 16, 2012
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 1:09:58 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.