Selling Antique Furniture

When you are selling vintage pieces of furniture you will want to get the best price for it. This guide is about selling antique furniture.

I have what I believe is a Rococo French series bedroom set. We got it from an estate sale like 15-20 years ago. It is unknown how long the original owner had it. I have the queen size bed with headboard and foot board, a 5 drawer tall dresser, a vanity with mirror and matching stool, and 2 night stands. It's still in excellent condition. It's absolutely beautiful furniture, just too fancy for me.

Answers

It appears that the bedroom sets start selling around $800 on eBay and go up from there. The more pieces you have, the more they are selling for. Some people are asking $1,495 for their bedroom set. They don't have as many pieces as you do.

You would need to know who manufactured this set. Some names are more expensive than others, even if they are the same style.

I'm thinking of selling this piece. I bought it several years ago at a garage sale from an elderly couple. Unfortunately, it doesn't have markings of any kind.

I looked everywhere. I just want to make sure I don't undersell it. Thanks in advance.

Answers

This is a neat piece...and I may be able help give you more info if you can add a few things...

1. Is the back real wood or is it particle board? You can feel the different by knocking on it...wood has a rich sound, particle board sounds hollow and feels rough to the touch.

2. Are the drawers dove tail grooves or are they nailed together, screwed together, glued together?

3. What is used to hold up the shelves--are they plastic clips or wood ledges?

At first this looked like an antique...but zooming makes me think it is a 1980s piece...just want to be able to do my due diligence before answering.

Thanks!

It is a nice piece. I would take the pictures to a dealer or two to get verbal appraisals

The drawers are dovetailed. I thought I had included a picture of an open one but I guess not.

The back is open but real wood. The shelves are held up by little wooden dowels. Thank you for your help.

It should say the back is thin, not open. Like plywood.

Anonymous

I didnt mean to say the back is open, I was speaking my answer. It should say thin. Like plywood.

Thanks for posting the extra pictures!

While I am far from an expert, I like to dabble in furniture and have a few comments for you that I hope are helpful in finding a value and deciding whether to sell or not.

These pieces are typically referred to as a secretary or a combination bookcase or a side by sideso when you are searching for comparables you may have to search a bunch of ways to find a match.

The hard thing is you probably will NOT find an exact matchbecause there were many of these utilitarian pieces made in the 20th century. Also, people frequently modified these to meet their own needs so you may never find an exact match (like removing a shelf, changing hardware, prying off the gingerbread decorations, etc.).

These were workhorse pieces and got a lot of use so they also got damaged and parts wore out and were replaced.

Yours has nice dovetail drawers, it looks plywood base, which would date (most likely) after 1928probably into the early 1930s (no wire drops on the desk leaf that were popular in the 1950s).

The cuts on the legs and other details also confirm it was most likely machine madeagain pointing to the late 1920s. I say this with the caveat that I cannot see and touch it and look at screws etc.because it could be a really nice reproduction piecewhich would take a true expert to tell you).

I would call this piece craftsman style (not all fu-fu and girly like the Victorian gingerbread). That era ended in the late 1920svery early 1930s (depending on who you talk to).

If this is a 1928ish piece, the back looks like it is replaced as an original back would look much more weathered (see this link for what I would want to see in an original back)
www.ebay.com/.../132744717753?hash=item1ee833a5b9...

For me, setting a value is going to be a bit of a challenge because it is going to be very hard to find an exact matchand I am all about exact matches when valuing. This is one of the few times I suggest using the genre as a guide (see below).

You could take it to an antique dealer and ask him/her to give you an insurance valuewhich would tell you what it is worth in your area.

If you dont want to invest the time hauling it or pictures of it around, you have some options if you want to do it yourself and sell...

1. To find the genre value, you can use eBay as a guide (looking only at what is SOLD) and find the average range of saleswhich I did today and is between $50 and $200so the average is about $100-$110 if I carried my ones correctly).

I used this link:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=oak+combination...

I will tell you that selling it online would be a nightmare as you would either have to worry about shipping or someone coming to pick it up.

Selling on Facebook or Craigslist would be your best bet. I would start it in the low $200s (which is what the most expensive one got on eBay) and take best offer (always start high and work down).

2. You can take it to an antique or consignment store and have them sell it for youwith them taking a percentage. They will know the audience of your area and if here is a high demand, low supply or low demand and high supplywhich dictates the price.

It is a nice find! If it were me, I would enjoy it if you have room. It can be quite versatile as it holds todays laptops nicely!

I posted an ad on Craigslist to sell an antique desk and was deluged by shipping/MoneyGram scams. Any suggestions on how to sell without dealing with crooks? By the way, the photo shows that each shelf is pegged by a single peg and each drawer by double pegs.

By Ed G.

Answers

It is a very pretty desk! Try calling various antique shops and see if you can sell there on commission.

We have an older bedroom set of curley maple furniture. It is in pretty good shape. I was wondering how to even begin with selling it. What would a good price be without really taking a hit?

By Jenise B.

Answers

Maybe there is an antique dealer near by that would appraise it for you but I would be careful and get more than one opinion.
Take some good photographs and show them to some of the antique dealers or you may want to use an auction house if there is one near by.

I have a dining room set made in Philadelphia in 1927. It includes a buffet, hutch, table, and 6 chairs. It does need refinishing. The table was refinished. I am wondering how much I could ask for it?

By Urszula from Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Answers

I suggest you search the Craigslist.ca for the city nearest you in the furniture section and see what other people are asking for similar things. Since it needs refinishing your potential market will be smaller since not everyone wants to do the refinishing.

http://toronto.  list.ca/bra/fua/

I have two antique matching window chairs, one is a rocker and other is a chair. They have never been refinished. They have the extra spindles. I am planning on putting them in a fundraiser yard sale. Are they to valuable to put in a yard sale? Please help.

By margaret from Nova Scotia, Canada

Answers

Probably, People don't look for things of value to pay any value at a yard sale. They want stuff for next to nothing. Your best bet would be an auction if you know anyone having an auction and they don't mind if you add your chairs. A local newspaper ad. Craigs List on the internet. Or maybe a second had shop that does sales with commission.

I have some antique furniture that I would like to sell at the right price. I do not want to be ripped off. How do I do this?

By anne roberts from Flintshire

Answers

Anonymous

You could sell them on www.craigslist.com or put them in a consignment shop. At CraigsList, you can place ads and pictures of the items for free and people in your area will reply to the ads.

How do I research and sell my antique furniture. Post your advice here.

Editor's Note: Please do not post ads for buying or selling specific furniture here or for getting price quotes. This is an informational resource only.

Answers

I have a very old bedroom suiet. How do i find information on who made this and how much its worth?

How can I find the best price for antique furniture?

By Cynndi

How would you quote a price on a 1800 century dress mirror three drawers on small wheels? I have picture. It is in fairly good condition over all.

By Ida

Antique furniture can be valuable if it is rare and in good condition. This is a guide about how to sell antique furniture online.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Chinese rice beds are often four poster beds decorated with delicate carvings of rice plant sheaves. This is a guide about information about antique Chinese rice beds.

Antique furniture can vary widely in value, depending on the condition and rarity of the piece. Stickely is a well made and collectable brand of furniture. This is a guide about selling antique stickely furniture.

Many antiques have value but finding out how much value, by having them appraised, is important before attempting to sell them. This is a guide about getting antiques appraised before selling.

Some antique record players are rare and, if they are in good condition, can be valuable. This is a guide about finding the value of antique record players.

Some Roycroft book cases are rare and, if they are in good condition, can be relatively valuable. This is a guide about value of Roycroft bookcase.

This is a guide about selling an antique bedroom set. If you have an antique bedroom set to sell there are many ways to do it.

I would like to know how to go about selling 65 year old living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture. It is in excellent, like new condition. It is my mother's furniture, she will be going into a nursing home very soon. I don't want to get ripped off. Thank you.

By gayle from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

I see lots of antiques on Craig's List but that seems like a good way to get robbed to me. You could put them in a consignment shop and they could deal with the hassle. (05/08/2009)

By Judi

Selling Antique Furniture

I would start by looking all over the furniture to see if there are any labels or makers names. If there are, do a search to see if that will help you find out. If not, then just search on ebay for something as close to what you already have, and see how much they are charging for it. That will give you a little idea. I know that there are many reputable dealers and appraisers, but everyone hears about someone saying, "this is worth this much, let me buy it from you", then selling it for a lot more. And sometimes too, our cherished family furniture is not worth as much in money as it is in sentiment. (05/09/2009)

By Frances Adams

How do I sell my antique furniture? Post your advice here.

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

Don't you have a local newspaper? (08/14/2007)

By Little Suzy

Load More