Selling Antique Furniture

When you are selling vintage pieces of furniture you will want to get the best price for it. This guide is about selling antique furniture.

I have what I believe is a Rococo French series bedroom set. We got it from an estate sale like 15-20 years ago. It is unknown how long the original owner had it. I have the queen size bed with headboard and foot board, a 5 drawer tall dresser, a vanity with mirror and matching stool, and 2 night stands. It's still in excellent condition. It's absolutely beautiful furniture, just too fancy for me.

Answers

It appears that the bedroom sets start selling around $800 on eBay and go up from there. The more pieces you have, the more they are selling for. Some people are asking $1,495 for their bedroom set. They don't have as many pieces as you do.

You would need to know who manufactured this set. Some names are more expensive than others, even if they are the same style.

We have an older bedroom set of curley maple furniture. It is in pretty good shape. I was wondering how to even begin with selling it. What would a good price be without really taking a hit?

By Jenise B.

Answers

Maybe there is an antique dealer near by that would appraise it for you but I would be careful and get more than one opinion.
Take some good photographs and show them to some of the antique dealers or you may want to use an auction house if there is one near by.

I have a dining room set made in Philadelphia in 1927. It includes a buffet, hutch, table, and 6 chairs. It does need refinishing. The table was refinished. I am wondering how much I could ask for it?

By Urszula from Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Answers

I suggest you search the Craigslist.ca for the city nearest you in the furniture section and see what other people are asking for similar things. Since it needs refinishing your potential market will be smaller since not everyone wants to do the refinishing.

http://toronto.  list.ca/bra/fua/

I have two antique matching window chairs, one is a rocker and other is a chair. They have never been refinished. They have the extra spindles. I am planning on putting them in a fundraiser yard sale. Are they to valuable to put in a yard sale? Please help.

By Margaret from Nova Scotia, Canada

Answers

Probably, People don't look for things of value to pay any value at a yard sale. They want stuff for next to nothing. Your best bet would be an auction if you know anyone having an auction and they don't mind if you add your chairs. A local newspaper ad. Craigs List on the internet. Or maybe a second had shop that does sales with commission.

I have some antique furniture that I would like to sell at the right price. I do not want to be ripped off. How do I do this?

By anner893 from Flintshire

Answers

Anonymous

You could sell them on www.craigslist.com or put them in a consignment shop. At CraigsList, you can place ads and pictures of the items for free and people in your area will reply to the ads.

How do I research and sell my antique furniture. Post your advice here.

Editor's Note: Please do not post ads for buying or selling specific furniture here or for getting price quotes. This is an informational resource only.

Answers

I have a very old bedroom suiet. How do i find information on who made this and how much its worth?

I posted an ad on Craigslist to sell an antique desk and was deluged by shipping/MoneyGram scams. Any suggestions on how to sell without dealing with crooks? By the way, the photo shows that each shelf is pegged by a single peg and each drawer by double pegs.

By Ed G.

How can I find the best price for antique furniture?

By Cynndi

How would you quote a price on a 1800 century dress mirror three drawers on small wheels? I have picture. It is in fairly good condition over all.

By Ida

Antique furniture can be valuable if it is rare and in good condition. This is a guide about how to sell antique furniture online.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Chinese rice beds are often four poster beds decorated with delicate carvings of rice plant sheaves. This is a guide about information about antique Chinese rice beds.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Antique furniture can vary widely in value, depending on the condition and rarity of the piece. Stickely is a well made and collectable brand of furniture. This is a guide about selling antique stickely furniture.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Many antiques have value but finding out how much value, by having them appraised, is important before attempting to sell them. This is a guide about getting antiques appraised before selling.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Some antique record players are rare and, if they are in good condition, can be valuable. This is a guide about finding the value of antique record players.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Some Roycroft book cases are rare and, if they are in good condition, can be relatively valuable. This is a guide about value of Roycroft bookcase.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about selling an antique bedroom set. If you have an antique bedroom set to sell there are many ways to do it.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to know how to go about selling 65 year old living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture. It is in excellent, like new condition. It is my mother's furniture, she will be going into a nursing home very soon. I don't want to get ripped off. Thank you.

By Elyag from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

I see lots of antiques on Craig's List but that seems like a good way to get robbed to me. You could put them in a consignment shop and they could deal with the hassle. (05/08/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Selling Antique Furniture

I would start by looking all over the furniture to see if there are any labels or makers names. If there are, do a search to see if that will help you find out. If not, then just search on ebay for something as close to what you already have, and see how much they are charging for it. That will give you a little idea. I know that there are many reputable dealers and appraisers, but everyone hears about someone saying, "this is worth this much, let me buy it from you", then selling it for a lot more. And sometimes too, our cherished family furniture is not worth as much in money as it is in sentiment. (05/09/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

How do I sell my antique furniture? Post your advice here.

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

Don't you have a local newspaper? (08/14/2007)

By LITTLE SUZY

I have a Drexel Heritage Dining Suite from the late 1940s. I really like having it because it was my parents. The problem is, I need money. I think that if I sell it I would be able to pay off a couple bills.

Where do i sell it? An antique dealer or consignment shop or research as much as I can and put ad in newspaper? I have been online till I am blue in the face. I can't figure out about how much it should be worth. Plus, it is full of stuff. I don't really want to get rid of the china that is in it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sandy

Answers:

Selling Antique Furniture

Selling at a consignment shop. Beware!

I once sold some items at a (or so I thought) reputable shop. They went through a few bookkeepers during my furniture's term in their showroom and then donated everything because I failed to claim it within the time frame.

I actually called weekly, but was always told by the bookkeeper of the month that it was still on the showroom floor and not to pick it up yet. I misplaced the contract which didn't help.

After reading an ad by that store with rules for dropping off items I figured mine had been there too long and called yet once more. This time I was determined to speak with the owner. She basically denied my having consigned anything there. I insisted and somewhat described the items to be the best of my recollection. It was obvious she had no intention of paying me anything.
When I said 6 goblets, she immediately corrected me and said there were 4 goblets! Turns out she had my contract in front of her the whole time and had no intention of paying nor returning the items, because I no longer had the contract even though her own bookkeepers had caused the errors in bookkeeping.

She readily admitted the procession of bookkeepers had caused a lot of problems with other consignments. She gave me a hard time, I didn't back down. She finally agreed that I'd dropped off some items and informed me then were donated, then realized one was sold at a rock bottom price. At this point I didn't believe anything she said.

She paid me precious little for the antique chair ($25.00 for something I'd paid about $300 on sale the year before). I couldn't do anything about it because I misplaced the contract and it was a time after the end date.

The moral of this story is: don't lose the contract, don't trust anyone and periodically visit the merchandise to see if it REALLY went for a clearance price. This particular furniture and antique sale store was located in a nice town. It seemed like a straightforward place doing business. Boy, was I ever fooled.
(07/14/2005)

By cookwie

Selling Antique Furniture

I work for an antique auction business and when people call in wanting to know how much something is worth our advice is to go to ebay.com and find the nearest thing to what you've got, look in completed as well as present sales.

But even once you know, it's finding the right person that wants that particular item at that price. (07/14/2005)

By Beverly

Selling Antique Furniture

I have considered doing the same thing with my dear grandmothers antique bedroom set. After reading this I think everyone is right. If you don't really want to then don't sell it unless you really have an emergency. Can you borrow from a family member? (08/01/2005)

By Jamie

Selling Antique Furniture

I'm in a similar position, I have some antique furniture (inherited through my mum's boyfriend's family so no emotional attachment) and I've just lost my job and I'm trying to start my own business but I need some money to do this...the problem for me is that I know nothing about antiques (we thing some of the stuff is Chippendale) and I don't want to get ripped off...is it worth paying for a proper valuation, I can't find anything similar on Ebay or elsewhere online but I'm determined not to be ripped off... (08/06/2005)

By George

Selling Antique Furniture

We own an antiques shop. Here is our perspective. We might sell an item for $3000. However, it is not worth our while to buy it for more than 1/4 that amount ($750). We have to pay for rent, employees, electricity, etc. You are better off selling it yourself on eBay or through the newspaper. You will not get the same amount you see in the antique stores. Without seeing your furniture, I would estimate at most we would give you $1500 for it.

Your best bet is to get yourself in better financial situation permanently. Watch Suze Orman. Take Crown Financial Ministries (crown.org) Check out beehive.org or bankrate.com. If you have this problem now, you will have it in the future - forever unless you decide to make permanent changes. I know you can do it! The world is waiting for you! Good luck!!
(09/02/2005)

By Sally

Selling Antique Furniture

I am at a cross-roads myself, about whether "things" are so important, or would cash to pay the bills be better? Well, I will ALWAYS have bills of some kind or another, but how often in my life will I have a family heirloom? Would it be possible to sell it to someone in your own family, so that it will still be in your family; and maybe some day you could buy it back from them when you are through this financial crisis. (12/23/2005)

By Paula

Selling Antique Furniture

Believe me, this is the start of a vicious cycle. My DH and I first starting out, have had some really good cars, and other big ticket things like bicycles, that he decided we needed the money, and sold them, later only to buy them when we HAD money, then sold them later on because of the same issue, or we were moving. Bottom line, look to the future. If you can use it, SAVE IT! You'll only end up spending money to replace it. Being a family heirloom, I couldn't even see putting a price on it, you'll never get it's true worth. Better to get it insured for the proper appraisal! If you can, work part-time, get a paper route ANYTHING other than sell off your valuables. Your bills can always be paid off over time, but you won't be able to replace that, or be spending twice/three times what you got. (03/14/2006)

By camo_angels