Selling Antique Furniture That Needs Refinishing

We have this piece that has been in the family, but not used for years. It needs some work on the flat surface and legs. Is there a market for people who want to refurbish furniture who will pay a nominal amount for the piece, since they would need to refinish it?

Wow! What a lovely piece!!

Yes, absolutely there is a market for people who want to refinish furniture, at least in my area.

You can put it on Facebook Marketplace or Nextdoor or in the local classifieds. I suggest (because I have done this and had great success) listing it as a refinishers dream (in the headline) and it should get snapped up at the right price.

The key is the right price...my way is a little complicated...but I have been doing this successfully for years...which is why I suggest it.

To set the fairest price, you need to know how much a pristine version is (if you can find one on eBay or one of the online auction site) and then reduce your value to about 1/4 to 1/8 of that value.

That gives the refinisher room to make a profit on his/her work.

If you don't want to be bothered to do it that way, an offering of between $25 and $50 will net you the fastest sale.

$75-100 slower, but it leaves you room to negotiate down...probably to $25-50.

We also have places here like Construction Junction and the Habitat for Humanity Stores that take and sell these type of pieces so if it isn't worth your time doing the selling part yourself and you can take the tax deduction, consider donating it to a place like that in your town and taking the tax credit!

Thank you for your suggestions and advice!!

Let me know what it goes for in your area! I am always curious how things differ in other parts of the country. I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

There is a market. Look a prices for perfect furniture and take of 25% for your piece.