Getting Antiques Appraised Before Selling

Category Antiques
Many antiques have value but finding out how much value, by having them appraised, is important before attempting to sell them. This is a guide about getting antiques appraised before selling.

This is a guide about finding the value for antiques and collectibles. Finding the value of your antiques and collectibles can be helpful if you are thinking of selling them or for insurance purposes.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How do I have an antique cabinet appraised before selling the item?

By Niecy

Answers

Best Answer

Well, appraisers charge to come and look at anything, and contrary to the television antique shows, the whole thing with antiques is perfect buyer at the perfect time; how likely is that where you live?

I worked in an antique shop for some years, and this is what I would suggest for starters. Take some well lit pictures of your piece. If you have some information about it, take your pictures and start at your library and find some pictures/information and check out at least one or two books. Then start visiting some nice antique stores in your area, and bring both your picture and the book. Talk to people at the store who seem to know something [sometimes the person there doesn't know furniture as well as say glass collectibles]. Look for something similar in the stores, write down what they call theirs, and the prices. Look on line for furniture that is called what you have finally
identified as the name for yours. Like early 19th century quarter sawn oak sideboard [oak cut a certain way]. Ask the advice for pricing from each and every store. It's possible one of the stores will be interested.

Our store did very well pre 9/11, but the years afterward were a huge fall off. Other dealers who shopped our store told the same story. Not sure why. But if you live in an area known for antiques, you may have an advantage.Ask in the stores you check out how antiques are doing. It will make you realistic about a fair but not high offer from any buyer, that you might otherwise turn down.

Also some stores will let you put in your piece on consignment for a percentage. I would try selling it on your own first. In your home, you are competing with nothing. In a store you are competing with all of their similar items, even though you do get exposure.
But you can post on the nearest Craigslist with a picture.

I have an old antique ironing board, it is very old, and a couple of washboards that are numbered. I also have some silver brushes, mirror, and old pictures, etc. What is the best way to get to know how much they are worth? I have no idea where to start or whom to trust.

With some of the personnel things I know its history I am keeping them. Many things I have left from "past" and they just sit in my garage. If you take them to places here, you can be quite sure you are getting ripped off. I could really use the money, however I am not wanting to give them away. I had forgotten about the brushes (with horse hair bristles) and mirror! If you have any information I would be grateful.

By Luana M.

Answers

Visit some antique stores and look at similar items to get an idea of value, but remember that is the dealer's price, not what they pay for them. If you have silver items, take them to several jewelers before you sell.

The pictures can be tricky. If you know the artist, check the name on the internet. If they are prints, they probably aren't worth much unless it is a big name and in good shape. Paintings can be easier.

You need to educate yourself and that means research. Don't trust web sites that sell things - look for collectors - most love what they collect and will give you good advice, but go to numerous sites. Good luck.

I don't trust the antique stores either. The people working there are not collectors and I don't think they know the value any more than I do. I took pictures of some old drinking pitchers, dishes, etc. my Mother left me and they told me they weren't worth anything. I'm sure if I'd asked them to purchase them from me they would have; at a minimum amount.