Selling Used Furniture

When you have no need for preloved home furnishings, you can sell them in a variety of ways. This is a guide about selling used furniture.

I want to sell a table, how do I do it?

By Mary from Timberville, VA

Answers

Take a digital photo and advertise it for free on Craig's List, or place an ad in your local newspaper. Or if you know someone who sets up and sells at a flea market, ask them to sell it for you.

There are also furniture consignment stores..

Craigslist works well. However, for your safety, take the table outside of your house (like on the driveway), don't let strangers into your house and if, possible, have someone else there (husband, friend) when they come to view it. We had a small local selling paper (Thriftynickel) in which you could place an ad cheaper than the newspaper. My daughter's town has a garage sale "group" on yahoo which is also free. You join free, can buy and sell just by emailing the group. Check and see if yours has one.

I have this oak cabinet I would like to sell, but don't know how much it would be worth. Could anybody help me?

Answers

There are several things you need to consider when trying to determine the value of your furniture.

1. First can you locate a name or brand mark anywhere so we can determine who made it.
  2. Once you know who made it, it will then be easier to determine when and where it was made
  3. You can then calculate how much it was worth when it was first made and depending on how old it is the value will have either gone up if its old or gone down if its not been to long.
  4. Just in my opinion, it doesn't look like it would be antique but it does look like very nice wood. It seems to look like it has been taken care of well and in good shape. Im sure it once had a dining room table to go with it at one time. Most buffets I've seen such as that usually do. I would say its worth at least $500.00, but that is just me pulling a number out of my head. I could be way off or close to what someone would be willing to pay. I wouldn't let it go to cheap that much im sure of.