Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Do mothballs get rid of snakes in the attic?

DBEavers from Beaumont, TX

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Some people say they do, but others have complained about trying to get the smell out of their attics.

What might be best if you want to try it is to put them in cheesecloth or something so they will be easy to locate when you want to remove them. If you just throw some up there, they will be difficult to locate each mothball.

People don't like the smell of mothballs any better than snakes or moths.
Susan from ThriftyFun (09/07/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

For 2 -3 years there have been snakes, garden, I think in my neighborhood. At the first sight of one I put mothballs around my house and my fenced in yard. I saw one small snake this year, but it was dead. (09/08/2006)

By looklady

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Moth balls to repel animals is a myth. If you put them in a burrow the animal just tosses them out. On the ground animals just move around them. Some people use them thinking they are effective. But there is no harm in letting folks believe these stories. Use them if you want, but they are not animal deterrents. (09/08/2006)

By Dean

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

No, moth balls I know for a fact do not work. When my children were younger we rented and lived in a 100 year old farm house in the western NC area. The house became infested with snakes which (I found out) were after the mice in the walls, yuck. Needless to say after killing a few snakes within the house itself we moved from there and into another state.

I have seen "Snake Away" which is a repellent that you use to keep the snakes at bay in the area that you want taken care of. Google "Snake Away" and see what you come up with, good luck. (09/09/2006)

By Paula Jo C.

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

We live on a creek in SW Georgia and mothballs have proven to me they work. During years 2003 to 2006 we killed 12 to 17 poisonous snakes each year (cottonmouth, rattle, and copperhead) day and night around the house and bushes. Last year (2007) we put out mothballs every other month or when they dissolved and only killed one rattlesnake and it was nowhere around the mothballs. Don't just put out one or two put them out heavily. (02/18/2008)

By Tommy Y.

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Yes, they do work. We started using them in our barn here in northern Nevada. Our neighbors have all had snakes this year except us. This is our first year using them, but after all the snakes we had last year and the lack of snakes this year; I believe they work. (05/17/2008)

By Loren

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Not so sure moth balls work, but it has been proven that lime will get rid snakes. It keeps them away and if they go through the lime it will burn their skin. (06/15/2008)

By Gary

Orange bowl filled with mothballs
Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?