Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Do mothballs keep snakes away?

By ccbran from Sweeny, TX

Answers:

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

My mother-in-law swears by it, so I won't say no! She has lots of flower pots around her house, then birds nest in them, and the eggs and babies of course attract snakes. She puts both the moth balls and loose crystals around the perimeter of her house. (07/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Moth balls don't work. Varmits just roll them away, ignore them or find another route. (07/15/2009)

By foxrun41

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

I put moth balls in my barn because I had a bad snake problem. It kept the non poisonous out, but for the cottonmouths, it did not work. I had one curled up in the moth balls. (07/15/2009)

By horsewzl

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

I've never tried mothballs, but I have spread sulphur around the perimeter of my yard and haven't seen any snakes since. I had seen 2 within one week just prior to spreading the sulphur! You can get sulphur at places likes Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. It comes in a bag like fertilizer. Hope it works for you and God bless you and yours. (07/17/2009)

By tedsmom

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Some people have had good results and others have not. I guess it's just trial and error. "Snake Away" that you can get at feed stores or Lowe's type stores is just another form of moth balls. Read the ingredients. I know you didn't ask about skunks, but I do know for a fact that moth balls do keep skunks away. We found this out after both my dog and my husband got "skunked". LOL!

Margaret from Denton, TX (07/17/2009)

By matjat

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

No! I thought I would "cheap out" and try it. I walked outside only to find a huge black snake slithering right over the mothballs. Snake-a-way is expensive, but it works. Yes, it smells just like mothballs, but it must have other stuff combined with the napthalene (mothballs) that makes it work. I've never tried sulfur so I can't speak for that. When I was growing up my mom put lime around the gardens because we had a lot of garter snakes where we lived. Just so you know, I live in FL, so this is snake territory and I am terrified of them. If I never see another one as long as I live I would be very happy. (07/17/2009)

By lovethosehounds

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

They work where I live. I put them out each year and have never had a snake. Last year I was not able to get around and put them out. My husband found a snake in our yard. (07/17/2009)

By Teresa Kay

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Mothballs are the same thing as snake repellent. Naphthalene. That is what is in the MSDS on both. (09/06/2009)

By rocketdog11

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Well I put the moth balls inside the snake holes and that worked. I live on a lake and there's snake holes all around my dock, but I figured just every time I see a hole, put a few mothballs in there. It works. (05/21/2010)

By Sardelayo1988

Orange bowl filled with mothballs
Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
🎉
🎄