Do Speed Bumps and Steel Plates Damage Cars?

I had asked a question several weeks ago and got some scathing responses. I am not trying to break the law. I am asking if I really need to slow down to a 1 mile per hour at speed bumps. Again, I am not a person who races through neighborhoods. The fact is there are more and more speed bumps. I don't want to hurt my car going 10 mph when I should go 1 mph, etc.

Sandy from Halethorpe

I did once have 2 flat tires on the same side from going over a faulty metal plate in the road.(Along with a string of other drivers!) We did eventually get reimbursed for the tires from the local utility company although it took months. So do be careful, they should be OK but, then on the other hand. (08/27/2008)

By pamphyila

The management at our apartment complex just had speed bumps installed by a black top business since a few residents do not obey the speed limit signs. Speed bumps will not hurt your vehicle or do any damage to your tires if you drive over them slowly. (08/27/2008)

Speed bumps are meant for ensuring 'slowing down'. I have to drive over four speed bumps in my apartment community to come home or leave my apartment. I appreciate them being here because so many people would be driving much too fast causing an accident otherwise.

If your car does get damaged (everyone's car has different issues) then you were simply not abiding by the hopes of others who are placing those speed bumps. Rule of thumb is 5 to 10 miles per hour over speed bumps. A minute of slowing down is worth accidents being alleviated including harm to human beings of any age or someones beloved pet. (08/27/2008)

By Deeli

Speed bumps save lives and property. They won't damage your car if you go the recommended speed limit or less. The faster one goes over a speed bump, the greater the chance of damage to the car.

Jim in Jax (08/28/2008)

By smartfell-r

License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Colorful sweater hanging in a closet.
Removing Hanger Bumps on Sweaters
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars