Does Fixing a Cat Help With Behavior?

Category Cats
A siamese cat looking out window blinds.
Some types of cat behavior can be moderated by having your pet fixed, but not all. Fixing only guarantees they can't reproduce. This is a guide about, "Does fixing a cat help with behavior?".

Our 7 month old unfixed male cat is constantly wandering around the house looking for trouble. He is also very talkative! Is this just a normal phase? He has not started to spray, yet. Will having him neutered solve the bulk of this problem. He's driving us crazy!

Best Answer

Both my two fixed male cats are talkative. One is a Siamese so that is natural, and the other picked it up from my Siamese.

I believe fixing does help with behavior and the spraying, but the meowing just might be part of his personality. :)

What works for me is if they start, I just kinda chase them for a second and they forget what they were doing (ie: meowing) haha.

Best Answer

All neutering is guaranted to do is stop him from being able to reproduce...period. Anything else you get is a bonus. It's been said that if a cat has not started spraying, neutering will keep him from starting. Others disagree. Being vocal or less vocal is not something I've ever heard of being associated with neutering. Maybe he needs a little brother or sister to play with.

I am owned by a neutered 16 year old male Manx named (for obvious reasons) Stumpy.He was fixed when we got him at 12 weeks from the SPCA, and began spraying at about 6 months of age. Still does it. He is also very vocal, and has been since we got him. The neutering stops some cats from spraying, not all. The talking is the individual personality, and probably won't change. I did find that he slowed down and became calmer after he reached about a year of age. Enjoy your cat for the unique fur person that he is.

Thanks all for the info! We are going to get our Chappybeans fixed anyway, but just wondered if it had a calming effect on the kitty cat. He is a handful, but we love him very much and enjoy his playful nature. (most the time) haha! He is still a kitten, after all!