Understanding Skunk Behavior

Category Wildlife
Skunks are generally maligned because of their potential defensive spraying behavior and a fear of rabies. Understanding skunk behavior may help us coexist with these often beneficial animals and also alert us when their behavior is abnormal. This is a guide about understanding skunk behavior.

Last Sunday morning around 8am, I noticed a skunk running in circles across my backyard, which is approximately 1 acre. The skunk continued this pattern for approximately 30 minutes without stopping. I finally lost sight of him once he traveled behind the pool area. Was this normal behavior or was the skunk sick?

By DonNYC from NYC

Answers

Spring is mating season for most animals, maybe that was it. I know the rabbits in my front yard do a weird dance attracting each other.

Well when I was a kid, back about 100 years ago, lol, my Dad always said when a skunk was out in the daytime that was a sign that they were rabid. Also if they were acting strangely that was another sign. Now this was back in the late 40s and 50s. I don't know if this belief is still held today or not.

Check with your local vet, county extension agent or a forest ranger for info and advice. Go online and search skunk behavior. Good luck!

Several years ago we had the same experience, but with a racoon. He turned in circles out in the open, then finally got to a tree and went round and round the tree, always going in the same direction. We made a call to Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries and were told that the coon was more than likely rabid as this was not normal. On closer inspection (with binoculars) we saw he was watering/foaming at the mouth, and we had to sadly 'take it down' ourselves. We were also advised to bury it as deep as possible, so as not to expose any of our animals to the rabies, should any of our dogs try to dig it up.