Removing Skunk Smell from House

Category Odors
Skunk smell can be very unpleasant for everyone nearby. If a skunk sprays on or near your home it can be almost impossible to be in the house. This is a guide about removing skunk smell from house.

Concerning the smell in your house after your dog gets sprayed with a skunk, we called the Erie police! We thought our dog had been sprayed by pepper spray! We thought someone had intruded our back yard and the intruder sprayed the dog! The smell smelled like burning chemicals so we knew no better! Now we do.

The non- emergency police patched us through to 911! Two squad cars showed up. They scoped our house at 1am in the morning only to sadly tell us they were pretty sure our dog was sprayed by a skunk! We were so upset, but the police were very helpful.

They suggested we use Murphy's Oil soap on the dog! It worked except for her nose area.

As far as the house. We did the candles, coffee grounds, incense, and the baking soda on the carpet which all seemed to help. It's now 2:50 am and we are finally breathing a little easier. I have to get up at 5 for work so I better say good night! Thanks to all for all the wonderful suggestions! I love this site.

By Lynda from Erie, PA

Top Comment

Yes, yes, yes, if I had not seen the actual skunk (and had to remove the little body) I would never have guessed my scottie got sprayed. it smelled like burnt tires! That was confusing. When skunks get caught on the road, there is always that musky smell, but when they spray it has an odd smell doesn't it?

I quickly wiped her face with a wet towel, and did the bath with tomato juice, which did not work. Next day on internet found the formula of baking soda in dish with vinegar added and using the foam to clean her. Then a bath with Dawn original dish soap. That worked great.

My groomer did warn me that the smell does come back when the dog gets damp, and that is true. I should probably have replaced her collar and that would have helped with the smell a bit (nylon collar).

Top Comment

My Morkie just got sprayed by a skunk because he would not leave the skunk alone. Thankfully when my Rottie was sprayed a few years back I found the solution of 1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 2 tablespoons liquid Dawn soap in an open container.

Works wonders. Now to get the smell out of my home. Sadly my morky will be spending the night in the basement, normally he would be in my room.

Yesterday I discovered a skunk in my garage. I immediately took action to remove him/her with the use of water from the hose. I sprayed and it sprayed. The skunk left the garage and now I have the spray absorbed into the concrete and boxes that were on the floor. Any thoughts? I realize I have to discard the boxes, but concerned about getting the smell out of the concrete floor.

This is not the only skunk, there are others around and I'm always on the lookout, must have sneaked in during the early morning hours when I pulled the car out of the garage. We live in a residential area.

David from San Antonio, TX

Answers

Best Answer

YUCK!!!! I don't envy you...but then we get skunks spraying up here as well.

Try scrubbing the concrete area with some tomato sauce or lemon juice. The boxes are a lost cause.

Also call Animal Control in Bexar county to see if they can help relocate the family.

Best Answer

WE used Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a little liquid dishwashing detergent on our sprayed dog and it worked perfectly. Maybe it would work on the concrete as well.

By Marna (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Call a vet and ask for a bottle of Skunk-Off. This actually neutralizes the chemicals in the skunk spray rather than covering it up. Good luck. I just put three big boxes of moth balls under my garden shed because there was a skunk living under there and sprayed my dog every chance it got. Of course the stupid dog never learns :)

My dog was sprayed by a skunk two nights ago. I bathed him the day after with his shampoo but, he still smells a little. The house it is very strong, everything smells like skunk. What can I do?

By Arelserrano

Answers

Best Answer

I have been saving this because we've been smelling skunk in the neighborhood lately and I'm sure one day one of my dogs will find it! You could probably spray a little of this in the air too. It's worth a try.

Skunk scent remover shampoo:

32 ounces hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid.

Mix ingredients together in large bottle with cap.
Use as shampoo on pets and children. Rinse well.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Tomato juice I just used it on my dog yesterday I swear by by it

How do you get rid of skunk smell in the house and from clothes? A skunk sprayed in the crawl space of my house.

By Lena Rose from Mexico, MO

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

You'll need to get under the porch and wash everything down with vinegar and also spray the dirt with vinegar. Afterward, wash anything associated with the dryer vent and inside of the dryer with vinegar and if any clothing still smells of the spray then soak them in hot water with vinegar and then wash as usual.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Rent an Ionizer Unit. Follow instructions very carefully! Dog got squirted and came into house. Ran around frantically, wiping his face on EVERYTHING!!

A skunk died under my house last night. How do I get the smell out of everything?

By Nickerson from MI

Answers

Best Answer

I can somewhat relate! This winter we had a horrific septic tank smell in the house. Long story there, but we had some repairs done and they believe a vent was partially blocked by all the snow/ice. Anyway, I aired out whenever the smell was the strongest, and aired out the house often. I also lit many candles which really helped. Try putting bowls of vinegar out, that helps somewhat.
Best of luck and sorry this had to happen to you!

I need your help. There are a family of skunks living under my front steps. The other night like 3 am, I was awakened by a disgusting skunk odor. Here it is three days later and inside the entire apartment still stinks of skunk odor. I have tried shampooing carpets with Nature's Miracle, and washing all curtains and furniture coverings. Nothing has helped. My clothes don't smell of it nor does my furniture, but I did what I was told to do to rid the apartment of the odor and it didn't work. I need more information that has been tested and is known.

By Barbara

Answers

Best Answer

My dog was sprayed once and a neighbor gave me a recipe for the dog.Use 1/2 cup peroxide mixed with 1 litre of water. I don't know if this helps with your problem. Good luck.

How do I get the smell of skunk out of my house and fabrics?

By Lacey

Answers

Best Answer

Vinegar, the great neutraliser, may help-wash down everything that won't go into the washing machine with a half vinegar-half water solution. Carpet, upholstery, and walls can be cleaned using either a sprayed application then the excess blotted off with a towel, or with a well wrung sponge mop; other hard surfaces like chair legs and tables can be sponged and wiped. Don't rinse, though, because that cancels out the odor neutralising affect of the vinegar.

Be careful when cleaning wood, the vinegar may cause a white film or 'eat the paint off', so be sure to test before applying to things like painted, lacquered or varnished heirloom and antique furniture.

You may need to repeat several times but it should get rid of the smell. The vinegar smell will also dissipate over a few hours. Then set bowls of full strength vinegar under furniture, in corners of the room, and on coffee tables, etc to continue the deodorising.

Anything that can go into the washer should be run at the hottest water temp the fabric will tolerate. Don't use laundry soap, instead use only two measuring cupfuls of straight vinegar, and run the items through several vinegar washings before air drying-don't put anything into the dryer until you know you've got rid of the 'fragrance'.

I used to raise dogs in the US, oh wowsa can they teach a person about getting rid of all kinds of strong, lingering stench!

Will an air purifier help remove skunk odor from a small room?

By reddddd from Canada

Answers

Best Answer

Probably not, but it can't hurt. Try leaving a large bowl of charcoal briquettes in the center of the room for a few days - maybe that would help. Also, lighting candles might help to neutralize the odor.

I have had a terrible skunk smell outside in my backyard for about a week now. I can't smell it in my front yard. Could a skunk possibly have died under my pool deck or something? How do I get rid of the smell?

By karen santos from Swansea, MA

Answers

Best Answer

You could possibly have a skunk living under your pool deck. If the skunk is dead, it may be relatively easy to get rid of the corpse. If it is a live skunk, you have another problem altogether. There are many remedies, but nothing that I have had any experience with. I would assume the skunk is alive, and call an exterminator or someone in your community who deals with wildlife.

A skunk sprayed our neighbor's dog right outside our living room window. Now that entire side of the house smells of skunk still, now almost a week after the event. I smell it in the living room, bedroom, closets on that side of the house, etc. It seems to be in everything... linens, mattress, clothing, curtains, you name it. What can I do to rid of this awful smell once and for all? It's freezing and I've been leaving all the windows and doors open but it's not getting better. Thanks so much for any advice.

Arianne

Cider Vinegar

I tried the Cider Vinegar in bowls and set them around the house & it took the smell out of the house within 4 hours. For my dog, he went to the vet and they gave him a bath with SOS (Skunk odor Shampoo). You can also get Skunk Off from your local vet.

By Becky (Guest Post)

Recipe for Smell

My cat was sprayed by a skunk at 3:00 am. No vets were opened so I called the emergency animal hotline. They told me not to put the cat in the car (smell transfers) and it wouldn't matter anyway, because they don't treat skunk smells. They don't want the animal to infect their "emergency" establishment. Most vets if any do not treat skunk sprays due to the same reason.

So, they told me to use this recipe. 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tbls. of Dawn dish soap and a qt. of hydrogen peroxide (very cheap). Since I first used tomato juice (yucky mess) and then shampooed him after that, he still smelled the same, awful. I tripled the recipe and put it in a small tupperware container, then placed my cat into it and slowly shampooed him. He hated it, especially the rinsing part. My son put the "recipe" into a spray bottle and slowly did it that way, he was much calmer.

This recipe worked in just one shampoo. He looks better today than before. His coat is shiny, smooth and he smells great! As for the house smelling, I use scented candles and jars of standing vinegar to absorb odor and put some on the furnace filter too. I can hardly smell it today and it just happened last night. The recipe worked after applying just once. Careful around the eyes, peroxide is for external use only.

By Ev

Homemade Skunk Smell Recipe

Mix lightly and apply to animal areas while foaming, leave on for 10 to 15 minutes rinse! And it really works

By John Whitmmore D.V.M. (Guest Post)

Removing Skunk Odors

You will need to break down or dissolve the oil in skunk scent.

Inside house:

1. wash affected wall, floor, etc. areas with water containing either chlorine bleach or vinegar (acetic acid) or

2. Use a commercial odor-removing compound such as:

1) "Skunk-off" aerosol; get through Vet Clinic, or catalog of dog supplies through dog kennel or pet shop.

2) "Nil-Odor" made by Dow Chemical; follow directions and put couple drops in water, and put on furnace filter to circulate air through; can put on dogs as directed.

3) "Odor-Away" either liquid (use few drops) or aerosol.

4) Rexall "C-D Deodorant" aerosol, can spray furnishings, drapes, etc.

These odor-removers act to break down the oil and so remove the odor or neutralize it.

3. Spraying with aerosol or putting drops around will neutralize odor in air generally; may still smell for awhile as you put nose right down in drapes, carpets, etc. but will gradually dissipate.

Outside house, on bare wood, concrete, soil:

Get chlorinated lime water at drug store, or mix 1 cup agricultural lime in 1 gallon chlorine bleach and put on areas. BE VERY CAREFUL TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS - don't get on skin, clothing, etc. as it will burn (is a caustic solution), and will also burn grass or other vegetation.

On clothes:

Launder in cool or barely lukewarm water with lots of heavy, built laundry detergent, plus a degreaser and some water conditioner (like Calgon) if water is hard. Don't use very warm or hot water as oil will be released in steam and odor will come up out of tub.

This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus, with references from Mary Ellen Delsipee, and Isabel Jones, previous Extension specialists.

Source: MSU Extension

Load More