Is Skunk Spray Harmful To Dogs?

In addition to the obvious awful smell, pet owners sometimes wonder if skunk spray is otherwise harmful to their dog. This is a guide about "Is skunk spray harmful to dogs?".

Is being spayed by a skunk harmful to dogs? Two of my dogs was sprayed but I think one was sprayed in the mouth she was drooling really bad and foaming when it happened?

Stacey from Taylor. MI

Answers

Best Answer

The safest thing is to call the local vet. They will tell you for certain, even if you aren't a client. However, I'm quite certain the answer is 'no'. They can cause temporary blindness, but flushing with water will help that. The whole defense of it is the odor. If it were needed to be poisonous, I'm betting God wouldn't have made it stink so bad. :) Remember that skunks are carnivors, so if they aren't living under your porch or something like that - they're keeping the mice population down. Mice come in for the winter, skunks don't.

Best Answer

If your dog gets sprayed. Immediately wash his body down with water and vinegar (mild) and or tomato juice and even peroxide or even soap and water. Keep it away from the face though. Just flush and flush that face with water. I got sprayed by a skunk as a child and it is painful.

To the person that suggested shooting the skunks I personally think you are twisted. I don't care how much of a nuisance something may seem, we just do not kill it. Skunks are very beneficial to our environment. Just leave them be and they will leave you be,

Best Answer

My dog got sprayed by a skunk tonight. I took the persons advice above and called the 24hr vet. The nearest one is about 40 miles from me. The vet said no, it is not harmful, but very very uncomfortable. She said to flush the dogs eyes, and wash him with soap or shampoo. To flush the eyes, the vet suggested just to put the dog in the shower, and hold his eyes open with your fingers. Even if the dog doesnt like it, she said you need to overpower the dog and make it stand there for a good couple of minutes. This will relieve some of the pain from being sprayed. Hope this may help someone.

Best Answer

Skunk spray can be harmful to dogs. If the dog is sprayed in the mouth or eyes. Contact a vet immediately when this happens. If left untreated a dog can even develop anemia or kidney problems.

My Jack Russell mix was sprayed by a skunk last Friday. We cleaned his face and washed him up right away. But two days later he started coughing and throwing up. We brought him to an emergency vet visit and they told us that he has kennel cough. Last night as he is laying in bed with me coughing I was trying to comfort him and I smelt a strong oder of skunk only while he was coughing. He has done this a few different times today as well. He really hasn't been eating, drinking a little bit, and not quite himself. I am really starting to worry, but don't know what to do. His gums as still nice and pink and he is going to the bathroom regularly. I need help.

Answers

You are thinking he may have aspirated skunk spray and it is in his lungs. It's likely he actually aspirated his own vomit. This could lead to something worse if not treated, such as pneumonia. Either way, he should still be treated because both conditions lead to fluid buildup in the lungs.

Was your dog boarded recently? Does he spend a lot of time with other dogs, like the dog park? If the answer is no, it is unlikely, though still possible, that he has contracted kennel cough. When a dog is coughing but there is no other obvious reason, vets just assume it's kennel cough.

Whether he has aspirated skunk spray, his own vomit, or has kennel cough, the ultimate outcome is fluid buildup in the lungs and it can become infected. If your dog's cough is productive, he might get rid of this fluid on his own. That may be what the "vomit" you are seeing really is. If he keeps coughing, becomes lethargic, stops eating, runs a temperature, etc. he has developed an infection and needs antibiotics right away. So all i can tell you is definitely keep an eye on it.