Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing

Category Laundry
The stench from skunk spray can be a challenge to remove from fabrics. This guide is about removing skunk odor from clothing.

There is nothing worse than smelling like a skunk. To remove the smell, soak you clothing in baking soda and water or vinegar and water. Use a half cup of vinegar or baking soda for each gallon of water. Let soak for several hours before washing as you normally would.

Top Comment

Yes, skunk is horrible. And lingers indefinately. Our dogs get sprayed routinely. I normally use tomato juice to bathe them. It definately works. Virtually anything tomato works. I've also used tomato sauce, V8, bloody mary mix, canned or jarred spaghetti sauce, and even tomoato paste. The paste is probably not a good idea for clothing, but does work great on animals (and probably human hair/skin too). It's actually better than juice, because it clings and you can let it sit for a while before rinsing.

By Barbara (Guest Post)
Top Comment

The only thing that really works is a mixture of baking soda, peroxide and dishsoap, (pamolive, Dawn). the tomato juice can actually cause allergies of the skin for your pet. My German Shepherd used to get sprayed all the time and we always used tomato juice until she started itching and chewing off her fur, the vet said that usage of the acids can cause skin irritations.

The peroxide mix at top works really good on clothes and doesn't ruin them, the baking soda actually helps get stains and other odors out of your clothes as well.
Hope this helps everyone. Enjoy the spring and summer.

Help! My dog got sprayed by a skunk. My clothes still smell! I've tried hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, Dawn, and hanging them on the clothes line for days. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

By Marlene

Answers

Best Answer

Try tomato juice. My Dad used to catch and sell skunks for a living (believe it or not). That was the only thing he used for removing the smell.