Dog Going To the Bathroom Inside at Night

How can I stop my female Staffordshire Bull Terrier from using the house as a toilet during the night?

Debbie from UK

Answers:

Have you considered that your little dog may be afraid of the dark? Try a light outside and see if it helps. Otherwise, it could be too cold.
Is it all the time? Many dogs don't like to get their feet wet if they can help it, so if that's the case, make sure there is a covered area where he can go.

Good luck. (03/07/2006)

By Wendy

When our Cocker started doing so, we leashed her (tied her up) at night. We also do so when we leave the house during the day, because otherwise she will get into the garbage while we are gone. She will not poo or pee when tied up. We have never used a kennel, just a leash beside her basket. Beside her basket is her food and water so we know she would be okay for hours, if need be. (03/07/2006)

By valleyrimgirl

I am a firm believer in crating the dog at night. I do this with my 2 Pomeranians, and my 1 little Yorkie. They will not mess in the crate and as soon as I let them out in the mornings they bolt for the doggie door. This has really helped in keeping the house clean at night. You can get crates at second hand stores and on eBay. You don't have to pay a fortune for a crate and they really come in handy. (03/07/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

Take her out side just before you go to bed, we do this every night, just before we go to bed, we take dogs out, then they sleep all night. (03/07/2006)

By Rosa