Keeping a Dog Warm at Night

Many dog owners look for ways to keep their pets warm and cozy at night when the temperatures begin to drop. This is a guide about keeping a dog warm at night.

How do I keep my dog's blanket on at night? She's 16, we get up 2 or 3 times at night to go outside, but I have to check on her every couple of hours at night because she also gets up to get a drink of water or nibble on her food. Then she goes back to her bed and gets cold sitting on top of her blanket, until I wake up and cover her up again. I love her dearly and need to figure this out. Thanks very much to all.

Answers

Best Answer

You could get your dog a sweater to wear at night.

Best Answer

My female Dobies have always required being covered, especially at night. In the summer they were uncomfortable from the A/C and in the winter the house was never warm enough for them.

I have a wicker sofa at the foot of my bed and during the night the girls would sleep on that. Yes, they would also get up for water, etc., or just to turn around. It was easy for me to cover them up as I didn't have to walk far. In the winter I found that one of the oil filled portable heaters near her bed helped keep her warm.

Good luck, let us know!

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

Best Answer

How about a pet sleeping bag? You can make it yourself and keep the cost down. You can use old wire hangers to make the opening, but be sure to wrap or insulate them first to avoid any danger. It's kind og hard to explain, so I've uploaded a picture you can download to kind of get the idea of what I mean. An old doona is perfect to use and you can always put a hot water bottle in the bottom too for extra snuggliness. If you use wire hangers and make two rings and place them in sort of a triangle, (together at the top, but apart at the bottom,) the sleeping will stay open and accessible. My old cats love theirs.

Here's the link to download a picture, just to give you an idea:

http://www.send … .com/file/qzcuxy

The download link is only good for 25 downloads only so should it run out, I'll upload it again if anyone wants it. Just post it here and I'll upload it again. I hope you can use this idea. (PS) Leave a small opening when you sew in the wire so you can take them out when you need to wash the sleeping bag.

Best Answer

We just had a craft show yesterday and my sister sold these little pillows she made that had rice in them. She used fleece type fabrics. You put the pillows in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes to heat them up. They are wonderful for many uses. To lay on your sore muscles or joints for pain. She made tiny ones for kids for ear aches.You can also put them in the freezer to be cold for hours too.To use on tooth aches head aches, etc.

The rice makes them mold to your body structure. I used one last night on my stiff neck.It stayed warm for almost 2 hours. You can make them in any size or shape. You could make your dog one the exact size of his bed and heat it up for about 1-2 minutes then add a towel or blanket over it which will hold in the heat also. Test in first with your hand to make sure its not too hot. Some people use beans or corn for this also.But the rice is smaller and forms better when you are against it.

There's no way to wash them so after a long while just toss away and make a new one. You could also toss a towel or her sweater in the dryer for a bit right before bed and put it on her which will keep her warm a bit longer.

If your dog is healthy her hair should be enough to keep her warm alone. But if shes old with arthritis or takes medicines her blood circulation is low and that's why she's colder. Just like us aging humans no different. Also try warm booties for her feet made from any type fleece Even use warm baby socks on her at night.

How can I keep my two dogs warm at night? They're outside dogs, both short haired, and both chew blankets to shreds and pull each others jackets off. Help!

Answers

You could build a doghouse. You also should feed your dog extra calories so it can keep itself warmer at night.

Eek, how cold does it get there? They must be kept warm. They should have a sheltered area with warmth. Try these as well, they don't need electricity:

https://www.che … amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Do you think a heat lamp will be useful? Even though they're outside dogs, can they be moved to the garage so it is a little warmer?

You do not say if they have a sheltered area or doghouse but if it gets very cold I feel sure that is where you would have to start. If the area is a smaller enclosure even a light bulb in a protected wire cover would help but I think you should talk to other pet owners in your area and see how they are coping with their outside dogs.
Most people with dogs would be glad to help you find a way to do this as they probably care about how their dogs fare in the cold weather.
Maybe the humane society could give you some pointers or give you names of someone to ask.

I feel your pain. We also have a dog that does this and does not like a dog house or heat lamp. Some things that we found to help considerable: To feed them extra and also to provide an open roofed shelter that is enclosed on at least 3 sides and maybe even part of the 4th, But a place they can get out of the weather, and provide them a pile of straw to burrow into. They also will sooner go into a straw bale cave than a dog house. Not sure why?? Maybe they still feel like they can get out quick and do their job. I dunno. But it works.

I have a Poodle age 9, she sleeps inside on a heated dog bed at night. Should I put a dog sweater on her also, or will that make her too hot? How hot is too hot for a dog? I turn the heat in the house down to around 58 at night.

By Kay