Dog With Bald Spots

Our 2 year old Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix Princess has been getting horrible bald spots and rashes on her skin (arm, ears, neck). She has also been scratching her fur a lot. We have given her baths and she has stopped the scratching obsession but we'd like to know how we could heal the scars and what caused the problem. Any advice?

Thanks,
Lilia and Sabrina from Northern VA

Answers:

Dog With Bald Spots

Take her to the Vet. She probably has an allergy to something. (02/07/2006)

By WIsgal

Dog With Bald Spots

The itchiness sounds like allergies to me. The best thing to do is to take her to your vet for an examination. In the meantime, you can probably get some relief for her from the itching by giving her medicated baths, specifically dog shampoos containing oatmeal, and also feeding her a good diet. Don't ever buy cheap food! It's not worth it! (02/07/2006)

By Robin

Dog With Bald Spots

When my golden retriever had that the vet said it was allergies.. He gave him cortisone shots for it.. (02/07/2006)

By Carol

Dog With Bald Spots

You need to take her to a vet first. Years ago, my dog had some kind of skin irritation thing that required biweekly dippings for about a month to clear up. Hope it's not whatever that was. Additionally, my vet told me that lots of dogs develop an allergy to plastic & to always put her food & water in a ceramic or glass dish. That helped a lot. The best dog shampoo I've ever found for any type of skin condition is Sulfodene (I've tried several). My dog is almost 17 now & she gets these "old dog skin cysts". It had gotten to the point where I had to bathe her every 2-3 days just to keep her skin under control until I found Sulfodene. Now we're back to weekly baths.
Good luck! (02/07/2006)

By nancyec

Dog With Bald Spots

One of my puppies had spots like that, and I took her to the vet. She had red mange which is curable. But, it can be a simple form that is not expensive or it could be the one that the dog has to have dips every two weeks to cure it. This is passed on by the mother usually I was told. The mother came to us pregnant and had no signs of hair loss at the time ,but, I did find out that she had lost hair when she was a puppy. bingo!! She had 8 pups all but, one went to the North Shore foundation in Rhode island whic is a no kill shelter.Good luck , I hope this helps, oh, the vet gave me a cream for my pup called Goodwinol Ointment and this cleared her up beautifully. (02/07/2006)

By Megan's mom

Dog With Bald Spots

I think this is best left to the professionals- check with your vet. (02/08/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Dog With Bald Spots

My dog has two bald spots, one under his chin and the other on the outside of his front leg. He doesn't itch or lick them, they just appeared one day. They don't look like ringworm or mites. I guess it could be an allergy, but like I said, no itching! (05/02/2006)

By Lizzy

Dog With Bald Spots

My 6 month old started to get a bald spot on her right front leg and it has expanded to a large area above it and is getting worse. The vet said the skin is healthy and a scraping showed no mites. He thinks she had a reaction to her baby shots. It's getting worse even with the cortisone shot. I think she will be bald if I can't stop it. She's on a human grade food and is very healthy. Any idea what's causing this. It's been very expensive and nothing is working. (05/22/2006)

By Evelyn Hornak

Dog With Bald Spots

My dog had the same problem and we took her to the Vet and we found out she had mites. (01/17/2008)

By

Dog With Bald Spots

My chihuahua has had a bald spot on the side of his arm for a little over a month now. I spent so much money on tests... skin scraping, fungal culture, skin impression, ointments, which all came out negative or have not helped. The vet is now optioning a biopsy in which my dog will be sedated for several hours and a part of the skin at the affected area will be removed and he will be sutured. I think this is extreme and want to leave that as my last result. Anyone have any advice? (04/13/2008)

By Ms. Wu

Dog With Bald Spots
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle Information and Photos
Kid's Clothing
Preventing Spots on Kids Clothing
dog laying in grass
Remedies for a Dog With Bald Spots
🎉
🎄