Remedies for a Dog With Bald Spots?

Category Health
Several things can cause a dog to lose its hair and develop bald spots. This is a page about remedies for a dog with bald spots.

My dog is 7 month old American Stafford mix. He has bald patches on his legs and the top of his head. He also has some scaling skin on the patches. He's not itchy and he doesn't lick his paws too often. He went to the vet and the scrape test was negative. They gave him flea and tick meds jic. The problem seems to have gotten worse over the last week. Any idea of what's causing the alopecia and how I can treat it?

Answers

Best Answer

Since you have already taken him to see the vet have you given the flea meds enough time to do their job?
Does he have fleas? These can be the cause of different reactions in dogs and should be eliminated first.
Did the vet mention anything about his food? Any allergies?

I have had many kinds/sizes of dogs over the years and DIY remedies can sometimes relieve pets of things like this.
Here are some things that I've used/done and most worked:
I copied the information from a vet's web site that I use when information is needed.

"Witch Hazel
The leaves, bark and twigs of witch hazel are high in tannins. Tannins are found in any natural astringent because of their ability to tighten, dry and harden tissues.
The witch hazel liquid easily purchased for just a few dollars at any drugstore is actually a steam distillation of the bark, leaves and twigs of the shrub itself.
When applied directly to the skin, witch hazel helps reduce swelling, repair broken skin and also fights bacteria.
Some wonderful things about witch hazel are that its 100 percent natural, smells fresh and doesnt stain furniture or carpets when you apply it to your dog.
Simply soak a cloth or cotton ball with witch hazel and rub it on your dogs skin. Witch hazel works awesomely for soothing itchy skin."

"Aloe Vera
Each aloe leaf contains a jelly-like substance, which rapidly regenerates damaged tissue. This plant increases the rate of healing in the cellular matrix and decreases inflammation. It also has antibiotic and coagulating agents in it.
Fresh aloe gel can be obtained by splitting the leaf. Use the hard cuticle of the leaf to apply the green tinged clear jelly thats inside the leaf to itchy areas.
It can also be used for wounds, fungal infections and insect bites. If you cut a leaf and use part of it, store the rest of it in the refrigerator. After the leaf is cut, the ingredients remain active for less than three days."

These two things work wonders on 'hot spots' so I think they may help your pup. Neither one of these is harmful if your puppy licks them off but it's best to try and distract they for a few minutes to give the stuff a chance to help.

Best Answer

Usually when the Vets do a scrape they are looking for mites. Be glad it isnt mites. But there are a number of things that can cause this kind of hair loss. Your dog needs to be checked by your Vet to see if it may be a yeast or bacterial infection. Certain fungus is possible. But you will need your Vet to find out. I wouldnt wait. It is likely to get worse.

My American Bulldog suddenly has little bald spots on his back, head, and neck. He is not itchy, but I am concerned. I am currently applying EnteDerm ointment that I had at home for another pet. I am trying to take care of this without having to visit the vet to avoid the cost.

Please help!

Answers

Your dog may have a skin condition. Any changes in your dogs skin should be checked by a vet.

Your dog may have some type of allergy or allergic reaction to something , please see a vet on this !

Definitely as the vet. Did his food change? Does he have a tick or other bite that you can see? Does he have seasonal allergies?

Our Clarence had bald spots and we changed his diet to a chicken and grain free one and it got much better. He finally "outgrew" the allergy. It was a challenge figuring it all out we could not have done without vet guidance.

Post back with an update! Healing prayers for the pup!

One of our working dogs has patches of bare skin were she has lost hair. Could this be due to diet or neurotic behavior? She is a wired hair German Pointer.

By charlie brown from UK

Answers

We had a similar problem with our fox-terrier. He pulled lumps out of his fur. We then discovered what went into canned dog food and put him on a fresh-meat regime (adding vegetables for vitamins and minerals). He is now totally cured. No allergies whatever.

Hello, Please take your baby to the Veterinarian so he/she can determine what is going on. Good luck

One my dogs had issues with bald spots on her hind quarters. I started feeding her good quality food. Natural Balance is excellent, Merrick and Evangers are excellent too. Make sure the dog food does not have any byproducts, hormones, antibiotics, added salt, BHA/BHT, artificial flavors, fillers, wheat, flour, corn, soy or sugar. This is all junk and will cause your dog to have allergies, skin and health issues. Once I made the switch it wasn't long before all the bald spots were growing healthy hair. She never had the problem again.

We had a wirehair who had thyroid problems and lost patches of hair. He had to go on medication. Get him to the vet a.s.a.p

My one year maltese has two bald spots one on his left shoulder and the other on his left front leg. The one on his shoulder his vet. told me that it is a result of an injection sight. He also said that there is nothing that can be done for this problem. I'm going to get a second opinion on his diagnosis, because that does't explain or even relate to the spot on his leg, I mean I'm sure nobody gave him an injection there.

This is due to aleopecia and bald spots on body can only be cured by using anti infection tubes and stop your pet from licking on his infected area this will spread more infection moreover if you are making him bath with your shampoo so stop doing this too animals can get infection from many things like grasses, food ,park even other animals prevent it from all this all the best may ur pet get well soon

I've recently been noticing this on my dog. Should I be worried cause it looks very bad. Should I take it to the vet? What should I do?

My dog was playing with another dog and she got bitten on her face (nothing serious it just created a little bald spot under her eye). I can see that a couple of hairs started to grow, but I'm not sure if it'll grow to the way it was before. Will the hair grow back? Is there any cream or remedy that can help her with that?

Answers

I think the hair will grow back. I would leave it alone and monitor the progress.

Aww...poor baby!! How scary to have had the bite.

Unless it is infected (which it looks fine, no redness, no oozing), just leave it be. It may or may not grow back completely. We have a pup with Alopecia and he will have permanent bald spots caused by the condition. It adds to his sweet charm.

Blessings and all good wishes for your sweet gal!! Hugs!

You could try applying some vitamin E to the spot several times a day. If someone in your household takes vitamin E liquid capsules, you can puncture one with a pin/needle, and squeeze some onto the spot a few times daily. Vitamin E is great for all types of skin conditions: scratching, itching, sores, patchy areas, dandruff, etc. The hair will probably come back on it's own, but the vitamin E will help it to come in faster. *Just don't let your dog eat any capsules!

Dont be surprised if it takes a couple months to grow back. But it should grow back.

Hi Claudia. Did your dog's hair grow back in that spot? My dog has the exact same thing going on, but not from a bite, we're not sure where the bald spot came from. But it looks identical to your pup's. No blood, no oozing, just skin. And he's had it for about 2 days. I'd appreciate any info you have.

My 6yr old Boston Terrier named Buzz has developed bald spots on his lower back. Also, now they are on his neck area. They are getting bigger and he is getting more as the days go by. He has had demodectic mange before, but this doesn't look like it's that. This looks different. These spots are itchy, scaly, inflamed, and dry. I feel so bad for him. We are tight on money so I can't take him to the vet right now. Any advice or home remedies will be appreciated!

Answers

This could be a flea or food allergy. You will need to throw away any plastic feeding and water dishes for your pet. Here is some excellent way to treat your dog's skin problem;
www.angieslist.com/.../7-natural-home-remedies-cat-and-dog...

You could try rubbing coconut oil on the spots. Feeding your dog whey could also help his skin.

Anonymous

Please give some more home remedies in that disease

my boston has this too, did you find out what it was or do anything to help it go away?

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 30, 2013
😎
😷
🐛
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Remedies-for-a-Dog-With-Bald-Spots.html