Don't Use Plastic Bags

contest winner icon

I'm posting this information as a plea for our environment. Please check out the video and you will see how our using plastic shopping bags is hurting our world, our wildlife, and poisoning our environment.

I have great doubt our plastic bags are even recycled when we put them in those bins -- it costs sooo much to recycle plastic bags compared to the cost of making them outright. I wish someone would take on the task of following a plastic shopping bag from being put into a recycle bin to actually being recycled.

I personally use small mesh bags I purchased at the Dollar Tree years ago (no longer available anywhere - can't find 'em on-line). They are sturdy, can be washed, and I carry 8-10 in my purse (very portable). One bag will hold 10 cans of green beans when shopping! Please think on this!

I feel the same way about plastic bags. I've been using canvas bags for about 25 years, and some of the "green" cloth bags the supermarkets sell for about 99 cents. I got a bunch of those for free by redeeming points from a brand of cat litter, until they ended that promotion last year. Even so, I occasionally forget to bring them into the store with me and end up with the plastic ones; I also shop for a friend who prefers them, because he is disabled with chronic fatigue and doesn't want the extra work of folding up and returning my green bags. I re-use some of them to tote things here and there, and recycle all the #2 bags, which my town accepts with other recyclables.

It's possible to make your own mesh bags, using various material, such as cotton string, twine, or even plarn. Plarn is plastic yarn made by cutting plastic bags into strips and knotting the strips together. When knitted or crocheted, these materials make very sturdy mesh bags, which have some stretch to them, and will last many years. There are patterns for these bags on the Internet.

Thanks for posting this.

As long as we have plastic bags, folks will be using them and some can be so careless with them. When picking up roadside litter, I find a lot of plastic bags. Since they are so available, people need to be more cautious with them and not let them become litter.

I have had two people tell me that they ran over a plastic bag in the road and it was sucked up into their car motor and caused major damage that resulted in some expensive repairs.